University of Virginia General Faculty Council (GFC)

 

Minutes:  Tuesday, February 12, 2002       12:00-1:30 p.m. 

Room  389 Newcomb Hall

 

Members Present:  Frank Butros, Rosie Dunn, Chuck Callaghan, James Freeman, Bill Keene, Carol Hunter, Lotta Lofgren, Barbara Miller, Lynda White, Jann Balmer, Maurice Lipper, Ellie Wilson, Francis Laushway, Donal Day

 

Members Absent:  Joe Gieck, Max Salinas, Mary Abouzeid

 

Meeting was chaired by Frank Butros

 

1.      Minutes of the January 8, 2002 meeting were approved.

 

2.      Chairman's Report:

 

· Frank B. reported that he had attended the GFC Incentive Plan meeting.          

In summary, no conclusive decisions were made.  The proposal will go to    the Vice President for any action.

 

·  Frank B. stated he will leave the GFC Chair position when his term ends in April 2002.  Barbara regretted she would not be able to accept the chair position due to work-related changes and new responsibilities.  During the GFC meeting several members nominated Lynda White for the Chair position.  Frank B. said he would send out an e-mail for nominations since not all GFC members were in attendance.

 

3.  Other business:

 

·     Ellie W. announced the GFC Spring Reception is scheduled for Tuesday, May 21, 2002, located at Pavillion 1, from 5-7 p.m.

 

·     Ellie W. will contact Jan R. about sending out an e-mail about the open positions on the General Faculty Council.  Representatives are needed from the following areas:  Athletics, Student Affairs, Medical School, Administration, and Engineering School.  Bill K. stressed the importance to ask someone from the School of Law.  However, a seat would need to be opened. Barbara will try to inquire about a point of contact from the Law School.

 

4.  Committee Reports:

 

- Data Committee

       Jim requested feedback from GFC members concerning critical issues that should be asked to all General Faculty employees.  Jim suggested the survey could be posted on the web.  Several members stated issues such as demographic, gender, race, or salary issues could be part of the survey.  Jim stressed concern about asking about such type of information, but rather get information about employee attitudes concerning their status as GF employees.

 

Jann Balmer stated the survey could ask GF employees about how they feel about their contributions to the University.  Jim believes the survey should overall inquire about employee satisfaction.  The Data Committee will continue to meet and address survey questions/concerns.

 

-      Elections and Politics Committee -

Ellie W. (Chair) will report at the next GFC meeting.

 

-           Communication Committee -

Barbara (Chair) stated it has been difficult to get all committee members together to meet and discuss issues.  Will report at the next GFC meeting.

 

-           Policy Committee -

Bill (Chair) reported that past and current members of the Policy Committee (including Donal Day,Trish Foley, Carol Hunter, Bill Keene, Lotta Lofgren, Joyce Pastors, Jane Penner, and Lynda White) met on 10 January 2002 with Alex Johnson, Vice Provost, Faculty Recruitment and Retention to discuss the revised draft Policy on the General Faculty.  At Johnson’s request, the Policy Committee subsequently revised the draft policy and provided their rational for each proposed change.  The policy committee requested that a legal review be conducted  on behalf of the GFC.  Because the revised draft policy document now explicitly includes “by reference” many related policies, the Policy Committee requested that the General Faculty Council be given the opportunity to review and comment on any proposed revisions to these related policies prior to implementation.  The revisions recommended by the Policy Committee have been reviewed by the Provost, vice presidents, and General Council; Johnson will forward a new revision to the Policy Committee in the near future.  Also, there is an on-going exchange with Anda Webb concerning policy-related matters that are specific to the research faculty.

 

 

 

 

Other new business:

 

Ellie W. suggested the GFC ask Karen Holt, EEOC, to be invited to an

upcoming meeting.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 1:20 p.m.

 

 

Next meeting:  Tuesday, March 12, 2002 at 12:00 p.m.  Location: TBD

 

 

 

Submitted by:  Rosie Dunn