FEBRUARY 9, 1994


John Alexander
Julia Martin
Beth Picknally Camden
Bernard Mayes
* Mark Doherty
Richard McGuire
Wei Li Fang
Bill Randolph
* Patricia Lampkin
Richard Sealock
Ann Loper
* indicates members absent

Ann Loper presided.

Patricia Lampkin had Alison Montgomery attend in her absence.

The minutes of January 12, 1994 were approved.


Formation of Standing Committees - Ann Loper distributed copies of an e-mail message from Mark Doherty. His suggestions for standing committees are: Personnel Policies and Procedures; Grievance; and Professional Development.

Discussion was tabled until the next meeting.


By-laws - Julia Martin will send the final updated version via messenger mail. John Alexander will work on addenda to the by-laws: election procedures and division of constituencies. Ann Loper questioned the wording of section VIII. H. on standing committees. Bernard Mayes moved that this section be rewritten to parallel the Faculty Senate By- laws. Motion passed.

Plans for General Approval of By-laws - A General Faculty vote will be held to approve the by-laws, separate from the spring election. Efforts will be made to start gathering comments as soon as possible, with a general discussion of comments at the April meeting. Copies will be made available in various ways: electronically, on reserve in Clemons Library and from Council members. If possible, a notice will be included in Inside Uva. An open meeting will be held on April 27 at 1:00 to present the by-laws to the General Faculty at large. The ballot will be sent at the end of April, along with a copy of the final draft of the by-laws. Bill Randolph will arrange for mailing labels from the Office of Planning, Assessment and Studies.

Spring Election - Bill Randolph reported that we have two valid candidates for the Council vacancy representing the Hospital/Medical Center. Bill will send ballots to all General Faculty in this area as soon as possible.

Procedures for handling this election were approved.

General Faculty Handbook - Beth Picknally Camden is looking for volunteers from all areas of the University to work on the development of a handbook for General Faculty. Any interested General Faculty member should contact her directly.

Response to Proposed Center Cutbacks - Richard Sealock reported that at least seventeen General Faculty positions are threatened by Gov. Wilder's budget proposal. The University has officially responded to the budget proposal by submitting amendments to the budget. Restoration of funding to the Centers are a mid-range priority on the University's list of budget amendments. The Council agree that no effective action could be taken on this issue at this time.

Grievance Procedures - The flowchart prepared by Bernard Mayes and the summary prepared by Julia Martin were discussed. The Council will set up a subcommittee to continue to work on this matter, but a focus for this subcommittee needs to be determined. Two possible approaches: 1) to further investigate and suggest changes to the current grievance procedures; or 2) to involve the Council in the grievance process (parallel to the Faculty Senate procedure). We will discuss at the next Council meeting.

New Business - Beth Picknally Camden reported that the Council now has a menu in the GWIS (Grounds-Wide Information Server) in the section "Organizations and Publications". Instructions for access will be sent to Council members via e-mail.

Next meeting:
Wednesday March 9, 1994 1:00-3:00
Vice President's Conference Rm., McKim Hall, Rm. 3001

Send agenda items to Ann Loper or Julia Martin by March 2, 1994