One of the highlights of the University Art Museum’s reopening was the installation of Alexander Calder’s mobile, “Untitled 1976.”
The Bayly Building
Originally funded by a bequest honoring the building’s namesake, the Bayly Building opened its doors in 1935. It is the home of the University of Virginia Art Museum and its more than 10,000 objects, including paintings, sculptures and works on paper.
Renovations to the Thomas H. Bayly Building, totaling $2.5 million, took place last summer. The renovation restored galleries and provided new lighting, fire suppression, electrical upgrades, and climate control technology.
These key features are critical to the care and display of the museum’s collections. In addition, these upgrades have placed the museum in the category of university museums that will have the opportunity to bring high-caliber traveling exhibitions to the Charlottesville community. A new wing and an arts terrace are planned for the Bayly Building.