- 2013 Session: General Assembly introduces legislation in accordance with recommendations by HEAC - HB2311 expanding purpose and increasing membership of SCHEV; amending Item 4-9.02 of the 2012-14 budget providing for institutional performance assessment (House amendment, Senate amendment)
- November 2012: HEAC presents recommendations for reforming higher education governance at the state level. Read the Report.
- November 2012: HEAC Financial Aid Workgroup presents recommendations regarding the use of undergraduate tuition for financial aid. Read the Report.
- September 2012: HEAC Performance Measures Workgroup presents recommendations for state goals and objectives and criteria for assessing educational-related performance. Read the Report.
- July 1, 2011: Effective date of the HEOA
- June 2011: First meeting of the Higher Education Advisory Committee (HEAC).
- June 2011: Higher Education Commission's presents report on the HEOA. Read the Commission's Report on Legislative Action and Overview of Next Steps.
- March 2011: Governor approves the HEOA with amendments (General Assembly agrees to amendments at the 2011 Reconvened Session)
- February 2011: General Assembly unanimously passes the Virginia Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2011 (HB2510 / SB1459)
- December 2010: Higher Education Commission submits its interim report to the Governor. Read the Introduction and Executive Summary and the Full Report.
- March 2010: Governor McDonnell issues Executive Order 9 establishing the Commission on Higher Education Reform, Innovation and Investment. Link to the Higher Education Commission.