Skip to Content

First Year Housing: Frequently Asked Questions

Here is a list of our most frequently asked questions. If you find that your question has not been answered, please Contact Us.

Since all First Year students live in University housing, Housing & Residence Life's Assignments Office plays an important role in your first year. The staff in this office are responsible for making all of the on-Grounds housing assignments. They are here to help you if you have any questions regarding the assignments process. The office is located in the basement of Kent House, in the McCormick Road Area.

1. Applications

1.1. How do I apply for housing?

Incoming First Years should complete the online First Year Housing Application after May 1st (you will need to pay your Admissions deposit and activate your University computing ID before attempting to access the application). Please be sure to read the application carefully before submitting it.

1.2. What is the $400 deposit for?

The $400 deposit you may hear about is the Admissions deposit. First Years are not required to pay a deposit for housing. You will be billed for your housing fees later this summer.

2. Assignments

2.1. How is my assignment made?

A computer-generated random selection process held after the application deadline determines your order of assignment. The following information from your application is saved in the Assignments software program:
  1. Your ranking of Programs (note: First Year students may apply to live in one of the three residential college programs, or they may live in the First Year Program. The First Year Program includes the McCormick Road, Alderman Road and Gooch/Dillard areas. Assignments to any of the facilities in this program are made on a random basis.)
  2. Mutual roommate request
  3. Information about study habits, and neatness preferences.
Your assignment is then generated by computer. We regret that we cannot consider special requests.

2.2. May I request a roommate?

Roommate requests must be mutual and designated on your Housing Application and Agreement. The assignment system attempts to assign requested roommates together, however, there are a limited number of double rooms and it is usually not possible to honor all preferred roommate requests. When this occurs, the assignment system attempts to place preferred roommates in nearby rooms.

2.3. What's a triple and how are students assigned to one?

Triples are rooms located in the Gooch/Dillard and Alderman Road areas that can accommodate three people. Students are placed in triple occupancy rooms after all double rooms are assigned. As space becomes available, students placed in Alderman triples will be moved to double rooms.

3. What if I'm an Echols or Rodman Scholar?

The Office of Admission will provide a list of scholars to Housing & Residence Life during the summer. Echols, Rodman, and College Science Scholars will be assigned to live in a designated scholar community in the Alderman Road Residence Area. Please note, any requested roommates must also be accepted members of a scholars program.

4. How can I receive assistance from the University if I have a disability or allergy?

If you need special housing accommodations due to a disability or allergy, you will need to submit a Disability Related Needs Request and appropriate documentation to the Learning Needs and Evaluation Center (LNEC). You will also need to submit your Housing application by June 1, 2014. If you have any questions, please contact LNEC at 434-243-5180 or send an email to

5. What is the procedure for bringing a service animal to the University?

Students must request the University's permission to allow the presence of a service animal on University property, and permission will be granted only as an accommodation for a documented disability. Please see the Guidelines for Service Animals. For more information, contact LNEC at 434-243-5180 or send an email to

6. When do I find out where I'll live?

You will receive your room and roommate assignment in early July, as long as you submit your application in a timely manner.

7. Do I have to live on-Grounds?

All First Year students must live on-Grounds in residence unless married, a single parent, or a non-traditionally aged student. If you believe your circumstances qualify you for consideration to live off-Grounds, please send your request to

8. What to bring / not to bring

We have put together this list of suggestions to help you make some informed decisions about what to bring to U.Va. Of course, this is not an exhaustive list; it is only meant to help you decide what to pack and what to leave at home. Ask us about anything questionable that you are considering bringing with you.

8.1. What should I bring?

  • computer equipment
  • cell phone (AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon recommended)
  • 1 microwave and 1 small refrigerator, or 1 combination microfridge unit ¹
  • single-serve coffee maker such as Keurig (1 per room)
  • lamp(s)
  • flashlight
  • alarm clock
  • TV
  • power strip, with surge protector
  • hair dryer
  • hangers
  • iron
  • stereo, with speakers suitable to living space
  • bed linens, towels, etc.
  • carpets can be ordered from the U.Va. Bookstore ²
  • fan, maybe even two (also available from the U.Va. Bookstore)
  • bicycle (with a good lock)

¹ Students may rent a microfridge from the U.Va. Bookstore, or bring your own combination microfridge, or bring your own separate microwave (1200 watts or less) and refrigerator (5.0 cubic ft. or less) with a surge supressor (also available from the Bookstore).

² Carpets are not necessary in Hereford College, Gooch/Dillard, Balz-Dobie, Kellogg, Lile-Maupin, Shannon, Tuttle-Dunnington or Watson-Webb.

8.2. What should I not bring?

  • pets - only small non-lethal fish are allowed
  • any halogen lamp (torchiere, desk, spotlights, etc.)
  • any lamp with a plastic shade (see examples)
  • extension cords
  • air-conditioner, unless pre-approved for medical reasons
  • oversized refrigerators
  • cooking appliances
  • hotplates
  • Fry Baby or any other deep fryer
  • wireless Internet routers or range extenders
  • devices that operate on 2.4 GHz and 5.1 GHz frequencies such cordless telephones, microwaves, baby monitors, wireless speakers, and wireless (not Bluetooth) headsets. Devices that operate on 900 MHz and 5.8 GHz frequencies are permitted.
  • waterbeds
  • lofts which do not meet University safety regulations ³
  • cinder blocks to raise beds
  • incense & candles - burning of these items is strictly prohibited
  • space heaters
  • firearms & ammunition (including BB Guns, paintball guns, bows, etc.)
  • firecrackers or explosives of any type
  • alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs
  • car - First years may not register, store, or park vehicles on Grounds (Requests for exceptions due to physical disability are made to the Department of Student Health. All other requests for exceptions should be made to the Dean of Students.)
³ lofts are not allowed at Hereford College, McCormick Road (except at Hancock and Bonnycastle), Cauthen, Woody, Balz-Dobie, Kellogg, Lile-Maupin, Shannon, Tuttle-Dunnington, Watson-Webb, Munford, Gwathmey or Brown College

9. What kind of decorations are allowed for my room?

For specific policies related to decorations and fire safety, please see our page dedicated to Fire Safety Policies.