Skip to Content

Graduate & Faculty/Staff Housing New Resident Information

Rental Payments

Rental payments can be made in the following ways, based on your University status:

All Residents:
Pay online with a credit card. This is the default option for all residents.
Visit the Graduate Housing or Faculty/Staff Housing webpage and click on Pay Rent Online in the upper right hand corner. Payment must be made by the tenth (10) day of each month.
Billed through SIS account.
E-mail a request to in order to have rent billed to a student account. Total rent for the academic year is billed to SIS account in two installments (one at the beginning of each semester).
Payroll deduction for salaried employees.
Complete the Payroll Deduction Form, available in the Graduate & Faculty/Staff Housing Office, to have rent automatically deducted from University payroll.

Please note, any one-time payments by check or money order must be made to Housing & Residence Life Business Services. Payments to Business Services are available by appointment only.

Maintenance Requests

All maintenance requests must be submitted in the form of an online work order. Please note, by submitting an online work request you are giving staff members permission to enter your apartment to assess and correct the problem(s) reported.

New residents should use the online work order system to report existing damages within two weeks of moving in. To do so, check the "Room Condition Report" box on the Service Request form.

For EMERGENCY MAINTENANCE ISSUES call 434-924-3053 directly. Systems Control will respond to these calls after hours, on weekends and holidays.

Overnight Guests

The Terms & Conditions of your housing agreement state that "Overnight guests may not remain longer than seven consecutive nights."

For shared apartments, visitation is negotiated with respect for rights and responsibilities of roommates, suitemates, and/or apartment mates. We encourage you to discuss any plans for overnight guests with your apartment mates and contact us if you want any help in reaching an agreement about overnight guests.

Pet Policy

To ensure the safety of the residents, pets (except small, non-lethal fish) are prohibited in Graduate & Faculty/Staff Housing.

Residents may not permit dogs, cats, or any other pets to be on the premises, even temporarily.

Cleaning and Washing

As a resident of Graduate & Faculty/Staff Housing, keeping your apartment clean is your responsibility. This includes sweeping and/or vacuuming of floors; removing grease from kitchen appliances, counters and cabinets; and keeping bathrooms clean and free of mold.

When using the bathtub or shower, a shower curtain must be used at all times to prevent water escaping and damaging floors.

Clothing must be washed in designated laundry rooms, not in sinks, bathtubs or in-apartment washing machines (which are on the prohibited items list and can result in termination of your stay in University housing).

Preventing Pest Problems

UVa uses an integrated pest management approach and recommendations from a leading pest control expert to determine a treatment process for roaches and other pests. This involves periodic installation of traps to assess populations, followed by baiting and repeated testing as needed. Tenants must leave the bait in place.

Despite our best treatment efforts, roaches follow humans and are looking for food, water and a place to live. For example, a wonderful environment for roaches would be under a kitchen sink full of dirty dishes. The following tenant responsibilities greatly help us to get the roach population under control:

  1. Do not leave dirty dishes in sink overnight
  2. Empty trash cans frequently
  3. Report any water leaks – check under sink on a regular basis
  4. Do not store any open containers of food – this includes large bags of rice, which need to be stored in airtight containers
  5. Keep walls and stove clean from grease – especially when cooking with grease over very high heat
  6. Do not store grocery bags or cardboard boxes
If pest problems arise in your apartment, complete an online work order at Maintenance Requests.

Parking Information

All residents of Graduate & Faculty/Staff Housing are required to obtain UVA parking permits for themselves and any guests. For resident and visitor permits, contact Parking & Transportation (P&T) at 434-924-7231. The P&T office is located at 1101 Millmont Street, behind the Barracks Road Shopping Center.

Parking permit requirements are enforced at all times and tickets will be issued for vehicles parked illegally.

Helpful Contacts and Phone Numbers

Residents of Graduate & Faculty/Staff Housing should call Housing & Residence Life at 434-924-3736 for all questions about leases, rent, or general Housing information.

Other helpful University of Virginia offices and phone numbers:

Dean of Students - Peabody Hall ----------------------------------- 434-924-7133

Elson Student Health Center ---------------------------------------- 434-924-5362

Information Technology Services (ITS) Help Desk ---------------- 434-924-4357

Parking & Transportation -------------------------------------------- 434-924-7231

Student Financial Services (Student Accounts) -------------------- 434-924-6000

Resident Contact Information

We ask that residents of Graduate & Faculty/Staff Housing keep up-to-date contact information on file with our office at all times. Please update your contact information in our database if needed.