2013 Move-In Dates
Incoming First Year Students
Upperclass, Transfer and Graduate Students
Fall Semester Opening for First Year students will occur on either Friday, August 23rd or Saturday, August 24th, depending on your room assignment. Please make your plans to move into your on-Grounds housing assignment on the date that your building will be opening. Early arrivals are only permitted in special circumstances; please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a need to arrive early.
Unless approved for an early arrival, all students in upperclass housing may move in on or after Friday, August 23rd. Those who wish to be considered for early check-in and are not part of a University group requiring their presence on Grounds before Opening need to submit an Early Arrival Application.
Move-in Information by Residence Area
All early arrivals may check in at the Housing & Residence Life office in Kent House between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. For standard arrival dates, please select your residence area below for more information.
Check-In Dates and Times for Alderman Road Residence Halls
Check in at your residence hall
Friday, August 23, 2013, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. for Kellogg, Fitzhugh, Tuttle-Dunnington, Woody and Watson-Webb
Saturday, August 24, 2013, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. for Balz-Dobie, Cauthen, Lile-Maupin and Shannon
Directions to Alderman Road Residence Halls
From the North
If driving from the NORTH (or from Charlottesville-Albemarle Airport) take US Route 29 South and enter Charlottesville via US Route 29 South Business. As you approach the University, US Route 29 South becomes Emmet Street.
Turn right on Massie Road (the John Paul Jones Arena is on the right). At the 1st traffic signal, turn left on Copeley Road. At the next signal, continue straight onto Alderman Road.
- To access FITZHUGH: at the next signal, continue straight on Alderman Road. Your residence hall will be on your right.
- To access CAUTHEN, WOODY, TUTTLE-DUNNINGTON and SHANNON: at the next signal, continue straight on Alderman Road. Make the next right onto Treehouse Drive. Continue up Treehouse Drive until you reach your residence hall.
- For KELLOGG, BALZ-DOBIE, LILE-MAUPIN and WATSON-WEBB: at the next signal, turn right onto McCormick Road. Continue up the hill until you reach your residence hall.
From the South, East or West
If driving from the SOUTH via US 29, take the first exit after going under the I-64 overpass (US 29 business, hospital exit). At the bottom of the ramp, turn right onto Fontaine Avenue.
If driving from the EAST or WEST on I-64, exit to Charlottesville at Exit No. 118-B. Travel north on US 29 and take the first exit (US 29 business, hospital exit). At the bottom of the ramp, turn right onto Fontaine Avenue.
At the 2nd traffic signal, turn left on Maury Avenue.
- To access FITZHUGH: continue straight through the 4-way stop. Please note, the road name changes to Alderman Road. Continue on Alderman Road past Whitehead Road, and your residence hall will be on your left.
- To access CAUTHEN, WOODY, TUTTLE-DUNNINGTON and SHANNON: continue straight through the 4-way stop. Please note, the road name changes to Alderman Road. Continue on Alderman Road past Whitehead Road. Make the next left onto Treehouse Drive. Continue up Treehouse Drive until you reach your residence hall.
- For KELLOGG, BALZ-DOBIE, LILE-MAUPIN and WATSON-WEBB: At the 4-way stop, turn left onto Stadium Road. Make the second right onto Hereford Drive. Please note, the road name changes to McCormick Road. Continue straight on McCormick Road until you reach your residence hall.
Representatives from Parking and Transportation (P&T) and the University Police will be directing traffic flow and giving parking/unloading instructions at move-in. Only if weather permits will parking and/or driving be permitted temporarily on grassy areas. Please rely on the instructions given by P&T and Police staff on site in each area. NOTE: Parking at or near all residence houses will be strictly limited to 30 minutes for unloading. On-site officers will give you directions for where to park after unloading.
Map of Area (PDF)