2016 Move-In Dates
Please note, University ID cards are picked up at the ID Office in Observatory Hill Dining Hall, not at Housing & Residence Life.
Incoming First Year Students
Fall Semester Opening for First Year students will occur on either Friday, August 19th or Saturday, August 20th, depending on your room assignment. Please make your plans to move into your on-Grounds housing assignment on the date that your building will be opening. Early arrivals are only permitted in special circumstances; please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a need to arrive early.
Upperclass and Transfer Students
Unless approved for an early arrival, all students in upperclass housing may move in on or after Friday, August 19th. Those who wish to be considered for early check-in and are not part of a University group requiring their presence on Grounds before Opening need to submit an Early Arrival Application by August 9, 2016.
Undergraduate Late Arrivals
Sunday, August 21
Check-in for all undergraduate residence areas will take place at the Housing & Residence Life Main Office in Gibbons House from 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. If you need to arrive later in the day, you may pick up keys and/or PIN codes at the Borrowed Key Room, on the ground floor of Echols House, from 5:00 p.m. until midnight.
Monday, August 22
Check-in at the Housing & Residence Life Main Office in Gibbons House from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. or at the Borrowed Key Room in Echols House from 5:00 p.m. until midnight.
Tuesday, August 23 and beyondStudents arriving on or after Tuesday, August 23 must inform Housing & Residence Life in order to keep their housing assignment. If you enroll at the University but fail to check into your assigned residence, you are still responsible for payment of housing charges for the entire academic year.
Graduate Students, Faculty and Staff
Your move-in date is specified on your housing agreement. Keys can be picked up at the Housing & Residence Life Main Office during business hours: Monday – Friday (except holidays), 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Please see your room assignment and New Resident Information for other important move-in information.
Undergraduate Move-in Information by Residence Area
Approved early arrivals may check in at the Housing & Residence Life Main Office in Gibbons House between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. For standard arrival dates, please select your residence area below for more information.
Check-In Dates and Times for Alderman Road Residence Halls
Check in at your residence hall
Friday, August 19, 2016, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. for Courtenay, Gibbons, Kellogg, Tuttle-Dunnington, Watson-Webb and Woody
Saturday, August 20, 2016, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. for Balz-Dobie, Cauthen, Dunglison, Fitzhugh, Lile-Maupin and Shannon
Directions to Alderman Road Residence Halls
From the North
If driving from the NORTH (or from Charlottesville-Albemarle Airport) take US Route 29 South and enter Charlottesville via US Route 29 South Business. As you approach the University, US Route 29 South becomes Emmet Street.
Turn right on Massie Road (the John Paul Jones Arena is on the right). At the 1st traffic signal, turn left on Copeley Road. At the next signal, continue straight onto Alderman Road.
- To access GIBBONS, FITZHUGH, COURTENAY and DUNGLISON: at the next signal, continue straight on Alderman Road. Your residence hall will be on your right.
- To access CAUTHEN, WOODY, TUTTLE-DUNNINGTON and SHANNON: at the next signal, continue straight on Alderman Road. Make the next right onto Treehouse Drive. Continue up Treehouse Drive until you reach your residence hall.
- For KELLOGG, BALZ-DOBIE, LILE-MAUPIN and WATSON-WEBB: at the next signal, turn right onto McCormick Road. Continue up the hill until you reach your residence hall.
From the South, East or West
If driving from the SOUTH via US 29, take the first exit after going under the I-64 overpass (US 29 business, hospital exit). At the bottom of the ramp, turn right onto Fontaine Avenue.
If driving from the EAST or WEST on I-64, exit to Charlottesville at Exit No. 118-B. Travel north on US 29 and take the first exit (US 29 business, hospital exit). At the bottom of the ramp, turn right onto Fontaine Avenue.
At the 2nd traffic signal, turn left on Maury Avenue.
- To access GIBBONS, FITZHUGH, COURTENAY and DUNGLISON: continue straight through the 4-way stop. Please note, the road name changes to Alderman Road. Continue on Alderman Road past Whitehead Road, and your residence hall will be on your left.
- To access CAUTHEN, WOODY, TUTTLE-DUNNINGTON and SHANNON: continue straight through the 4-way stop. Please note, the road name changes to Alderman Road. Continue on Alderman Road past Whitehead Road. Make the next left onto Treehouse Drive. Continue up Treehouse Drive until you reach your residence hall.
- For KELLOGG, BALZ-DOBIE, LILE-MAUPIN and WATSON-WEBB: At the 4-way stop, turn left onto Stadium Road. Make the 2nd right onto Hereford Drive. Please note, the road name changes to McCormick Road. Continue straight on McCormick Road until you reach your residence hall.
Representatives from Parking and Transportation (P&T) and the University Police will be directing traffic flow and giving parking/unloading instructions at move-in. Only if weather permits will parking and/or driving be permitted temporarily on grassy areas. Please rely on the instructions given by P&T and Police staff on site in each area. NOTE: Parking at or near all residence houses will be strictly limited to 30 minutes for unloading. On-site officers will give you directions for where to park after unloading.
Map of Area (PDF)