2013 Closing Information
When do I need to move out?
How do I check out?
What do I need to clean?
Where is the drop box for my keys?
What if I lost my keys or accidentally take them home?
What about my mail?
What if I accidentally leave belongings here?
What if I need to stay past the Closing date?
Where can I find information about Graduation Housing for my family and friends?
Where can I find information about housing for summer session?
If you live in a First Year area (Alderman Road, Gooch/Dillard or McCormick Road) and are not approved for a Late Stay, you must move out within 24 hours of your last exam or by noon on Saturday, May 11, 2013, whichever comes first. If you are required to stay on Grounds beyond that time, please see Information on Late Stays.
Students in Upperclass areas, except for the Lawn and Range, must move out by noon on Monday, May 20, 2013. Lawn and Range residents must move out by noon on Tuesday, May 21, 2013.
- Attend your RA's Closing Meeting. Your RA will provide you with a key envelope for checking out.
- Clean your room, remove trash, and coordinate with roommates to establish responsibilities for cleaning any common areas, bathrooms and kitchens.
- Remove all personal belongings from your room and common areas. Leave empty trash can, mattress pad and other Housing & Residence Life property.
- Report any damages using the online work order system. Complete the Room Damages Report if you need to document who is responsible for damages.
- Close and lock all windows, turn off all lights, close and lock all doors.
- Turn in your key(s) in the appropriate check-out box. Make sure keys are in the check-out envelope given to you by your RA.
- Your room will be inspected after you leave and you will be charged for any damages.
- Sweep/vacuum the floor (including under furniture), take trash to the dumpster, remove wall hangings and all personal belongings.
- Don't dump unwanted belongings - participate in U.Va.'s Chuck It For Charity!
- If you rented a microfridge, you need to empty it, defrost it, clean it, and leave it unplugged. See Microfridge Cleaning Tips.
- Bice, Copeley, Faulkner and Lambeth: You are responsible for cleaning the oven/stove, the refrigerator, and the bathroom. See Cleaning Tips.
- Brown College: You are responsible for cleaning the bathroom. See Cleaning Tips.
Click here to see a list of Key Drop Box Locations. If you have been approved to move out after May 11, 2013, please turn your keys in to the Echols House Key Room or the Accommodations Office between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. If you cannot return your keys during those hours, please put your keys in the drop box located in the front door to the Housing & Residence Life Office in Kent House.
If you have lost your key(s), Housing & Residence Life using the Lock Change Request Form. If you take your keys home, mail them immediately (overnight) to U.Va. Housing & Residence Life, Access Control Office, Emmet House, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4735. To avoid being billed, your keys must be received before your lock is changed for graduation or summer conference housing.
Please note that lockout service from the Key Room ends Friday, May 11th at midnight. Beginning Saturday, May 12th, students will need to contact Systems Control and receive a $100 charge for lockouts.
- Bikes: On May 24, 2013 all bicylces left in residential areas will be tagged for removal. If you've been approved to stay past May 24, 2013, you can remove the tag from your bike. All bikes still tagged on May 29, 2013 will be treated as abandoned and will be impounded by Parking and Transportation.
- Items in Rooms: Items remaining in spaces after the space has been officially vacated will be treated as abandoned property and kept in storage for 120 days.
- To claim property during the 120 day-storage period, contact the Facilities Service Desk at 434-924-3053. You will be charged for the removal, transport and storage of all items ($50 minimum). Property not claimed at the end of the 120 period will be sold through U.Va. Surplus Property or donated to charitable organizations.
Last day for delivery is Friday, May 10, 2013. If you have been approved for Late Stay and want to continue receiving mail, you will need to pick up your mail from the Emmet Mailroom in the McCormick Road Residence Area.
First class mail will be forwarded to your home address. This does not include magazines, newspapers, and packages delivered by carriers other than the United States Postal Service (USPS). Please check the online Housing Management System to view your forwarding address and update it if needed. Changing your address in SIS is not sufficient. Please note that mail will only be forwarded for 6 months. After that time it will be returned to sender.
If you live on the Lawn or Range, please contact the U.S. Postal Service to request a change of address.
If you will be living on Grounds during the next academic year, your mail will be sent to your on-Grounds housing address after Opening.
Students in First Year areas (Alderman Road, Gooch/Dillard and McCormick Road) MUST submit a First Year Late Stay Application if you wish to move out after May 11, 2013. The cost for an approved Late Stay is $32 per night per person. Not all Late Stay requests can be approved, and in order to qualify you must be one of the following:
- A sibling of a graduating student
- Working at Graduation (written confirmation by faculty/staff responsible for your role is required)
- Taking Spring Semester exams scheduled after May 11, 2013
- Living in on-Grounds Housing for Summer Session I (beginning May 12, 2013)
- A member of an athletic team required to stay for continued participation in your sport
Students residing in Upperclass areas, including residential colleges, do not need to submit a Late Stay Application. If you plan to move out after Saturday, May 11, 2013, you will need to notify your Senior Resident by May 8, 2013 using the Upperclass Area Check-Out Form and receive instructions for obtaining a door tag with your move-out date. Please note, if your room does not have a door tag, housekeeping and maintenance personnel have permission to enter as if it were unoccupied.
Information is available on the U.Va. Housing Conference Services website. The deadline for Graduation Housing reservations is 5:00 pm on Wednesday, April 17, 2013.
Information is available on the U.Va. Housing Conference Services website. The deadline for housing reservations is 5:00 p.m., 30 days before the date of arrival.