Winter Break & J-Term Resources (2012-2013)
As the holidays approach, thoughts and activities are divided between completing final papers, last-minute cramming for exams, and going home to see family and friends. Below is some information to help you prepare for the end of semester.
Winter Break & J-Term Housing (Dec. 19, 2012 to Jan. 12, 2013)
- The Alderman Road, Gooch/Dillard and McCormick Road residence areas will be closed for winter break. Students and staff in these areas will need to find alternate accommodations from December 19, 2012 until January 1, 2013. The University has an agreement with the Cavalier Inn to house affected students and staff during winter break at a special rate of $50 per night.
Students living in these areas wishing to return during J-Term must submit a Housing Application for J-Term to obtain permission to remain in housing. Staff living in these areas should work with their supervisors to remain in housing during J-Term. There are only two conditions under which a student will be permitted to return to housing in these areas:
- The student is enrolled and taking classes in J-Term (enrollment must be verified by Housing & Residence Life). Approved students will be allowed to return on January 1, 2013.
- The student is an international student whose permanent address recorded with the University is outside the United States.
Students applying for J-Term Housing will be notified by Housing & Residence Life when their application has been either approved or denied.
- All upperclass housing areas, including Residential Colleges, will remain accessible to residents. Therefore, students residing in upperclass areas do not need to submit an application for J-Term Housing.
- Any student who chooses to return to on-Grounds housing during the Winter Break period should be prepared for reduced services and must be ready to accept increased responsibility for their personal safety. Please read the Winter Break & J-Term Housing Safety Reminders below carefully.
Things to do before leaving for Winter Break:
- Remove all holiday decorations.
- Insure that all water faucets are turned off to prevent water damage.
- Turn room lights off. Draw the shades/blinds and lock all windows and doors.
- Empty trash and recyclables.
- Do not leave your bike outside! You may put it in your room. It is safer there.
- Motorcycles and Mopeds, however, must be stored outside. They are a potential fire hazard and will be removed from student rooms.
- UNPLUG all electrical equipment.
- Empty, clean and unplug your refrigerator. Leave the refrigerator door open to prevent mildew.
- Take home any valuables.
Winter Break & J-Term Housing Safety Reminders
Housing in University of Virginia residences during the Winter Break or J-Term periods is under the same terms and conditions as stated on your academic year Housing Agreement. In addition, there will be very few residents staying on-Grounds during these times, and members of the Resident Staff will not be present or available to assist you during most of the Winter Break period. During J-Term, there will be minimal Resident Staff coverage. You will be responsible for and must take every precaution to protect your personal safety at all times. If you notice anything suspicious, unusual, or at any time think that your personal safety is at risk, please immediately contact the University Police at 911. If you own a cell phone, consider keeping it with you at all times in case you need to call 911 for help.
Personal Safety Precautions:
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Check to make sure that you are aware of who is in the common areas and hallways of the building before venturing into them.
- Check the bathroom area before entering.
- Do not walk alone in the dark.
- Plan ahead to insure that you will not be in any unsafe areas on Grounds when it is dusk, dawn, or dark.
- Doors and Windows
- Keep your room/suite or apartment door locked at all times. This includes when you are in the room and when you leave for any reason
- Do not prop open any doors.
- Do not let anyone into the building. Anyone authorized to stay must use his or her own access card to gain entrance to the building.
- Do not unblock or leave any windows open.
- Non-resident guests are not allowed to enter the buildings during the break period.
Facilities and Services:
- The Key Room will be closed for emergency key requests.
- Report all doors, locks, windows, or lights in need of repair to the Facilities Service Desk.
- Fire alarm systems will be tested and repair and renovation projects will be conducted in all facilities during the break period.
- Meal plans will not be available for Winter Break and J-Term.
- See the Dining Services web site for service hours and available locations.
- Bus Service
- On-Grounds bus service will significantly reduce operations. Please see Parking & Transportation for specific information.