Winter Break & J-Term Resources (2015-2016)
You may be thinking ahead to final exams and going home to see family and friends. Below is some information to help you prepare for the end of semester.
Winter Break & J-Term Housing
- The First Year residence areas (Alderman Road, Gooch/Dillard and McCormick Road) will be closed for winter break. Students and Res Staff in these areas will need to find alternate accommodations from 12:00 noon on December 19, 2015 until 8:00 a.m. on January 4, 2016.
- Students living in the First Year residence areas (Alderman Road, Gooch/Dillard and McCormick Road) needing to return for J-Term classes or athletic team participation may return on or after 8:00 a.m. on January 4, 2016. Those participating in Sorority Recruitment may return on or after 8:00 a.m. on Tuesday, January 12, 2016. The final date to register with the Inter-Sorority Council for recruitment is November 29, 2015.
- All upperclass housing areas, including Residential Colleges, will remain accessible to residents.
- Any student who chooses to return to on-Grounds housing during the Winter Break period should be prepared for reduced services and must be ready to accept increased responsibility for their personal safety. Please read the Winter Break & J-Term Safety Reminders below carefully.
- All residence areas will open for Spring semester with full Resident Staff on Sunday, January 17, 2016.
Winter Break & J-Term Safety Reminders
Housing in University of Virginia residences during the Winter Break or J-Term periods is under the same terms and conditions as stated on your academic year Housing Agreement. There will be very few residents staying on-Grounds during these times, and members of the Resident Staff will not be present to assist you during most of the Winter Break and J-Term period. You will be responsible for and must take every precaution to protect your personal safety at all times.
Personal Safety Precautions:
- Call 911 if you need help.
- If you notice anything suspicious, unusual, or at any time think that your personal safety is at risk, please immediately contact the University Police at 911.
- Consider keeping a cell phone with you at all times in case you need to call 911.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Check to make sure that you are aware of who is in the common areas and hallways of the building before venturing into them.
- Check the bathroom area before entering.
- Plan ahead to insure that you stay in well-lit areas when it is dusk, dawn, or dark.
- Do not walk alone after dark; walk with a friend.
- Doors and Windows
- Keep your room/suite or apartment door locked at all times. This includes when you are in the room and when you leave for any reason.
- Do not prop open any doors.
- Do not let anyone into the building. Anyone authorized to stay must use his or her own access card to gain entrance to the building.
- Do not unblock or leave any windows open.
- Non-resident guests are not allowed to enter the buildings during the break period.
Facilities and Services:
- The Key Room will be closed for borrowed key requests.
- Report all doors, locks, windows, or lights in need of repair to the Facilities Service Desk.
- Fire alarm systems will be tested and repair and renovation projects will be conducted in all facilities during the break period.
- Meal plans will not be available for Winter Break and J-Term.
- See the Dining Services web site for service hours and available locations.
- Bus Service
- On-Grounds bus service will significantly reduce operations. See Parking & Transportation for specific information.
Things to do before leaving for Winter Break:
- Remove all holiday decorations.
- Insure that all water faucets are turned off to prevent water damage.
- Turn room lights off. Draw the shades/blinds and lock all windows and doors.
- Empty trash and recyclables.
- Do not leave your bike outside! It is more secure if you put it in your room.
- Motorcycles and mopeds, however, must be stored outside. They are a potential fire hazard and will be removed from student rooms.
- UNPLUG all electrical equipment.
- Empty, clean and unplug your refrigerator. Leave the refrigerator door open to prevent mildew.
- Take home any valuables.