Emergencies, Safety & Health
We wish all of our residents a safe and healthy year!
Each residence hall or area has an RA on coverage every Friday and Saturday night to respond to resident concerns. The RA is available by phone and maintains a physical presence in the area from 10 p.m. until 8 a.m. the next morning, including at least three rounds of walking around the building.
Resident staff is prepared to respond to various incidents that may occur within our residential communities. Staff members work closely with the Dean on Call and University Police to respond promptly and effectively as needs arise.
If there is an emergency or you wish to report a crime in progress or a threat of violence, please call 911 immediately.
- U.Va. Emergency Procedures
- Emergency Preparedness
- In Case of Fire
- Evacuation Routes and Assembly Points
- Shelter-In-Place Locations
- Student Health Emergencies
Other Safety and Health Resources
- Chemical Disposal Guidelines
- Needles and Sharps Disposal Guidelines
- Grill 101
- Maintaining your Heating and Air Conditioning Unit for Health
- Be a Germ Stopper
- Bed Bug Information
- Carbon Monoxide Information
- Notification of Student Illnesses
- Just Report It (Bias Reporting)
- U.Va. Lighted Pathway Map
(Shows emergency phones and pathways that are lighted at night)
Here are some friendly reminders to help ensure that we maintain a safe community for all those living in University housing:
- Lock doors and windows, even if you are sleeping or leaving for a short period of time.
- Don't loan your key to anyone.
- Don't prop the doors to the residence hall or let in non-residents, even if they look like students.
- Don't leave notes on hall doors indicating you aren't home.
- Keep your valuable items such as wallet and jewelry locked up and out of sight.
- Get ID's from all workers who want access to your room. (Housing & Residence Life workers and contractors are required to have a photo ID attached to their person, where you can readily see it.)
- Report all doors, locks, windows or lights in need of repair to the Facilities Service Desk.
- Report lost keys or ID's immediately (Keys: 924-3736; ID's: 924-4122).
- Report suspicious/unknown people loitering or checking doors in residence halls by calling 911.