Energy and Water Conservation
Housing & Residence Life utilizes a number of practices in order to reduce utility consumpton and make responsible use of natural resources. For example, from 2008 to 2009 almost 800,000 kWh of electricity was saved.
Water Saving Devices
- With our laundry provider, Caldwell and Gregory, we installed washing machines that use one third of the water of a traditional top load washer. This resulted in a savings of
2.5 million gallonsof water in the first year of use alone.
- Low flow shower heads have been installed, reducing the flow by more than a
half gallon per minuteon each shower.
- As toilets have been replaced or new ones installed over the last 10 years, we have utilized either low flow or low flow with dual flush models.
Energy Efficient Lighting
- Lighting fixtures are being replaced or retrofitted with new units that reduce the amount of energy used by as much as 75%.
- All interior lighting was converted to fluorescent and
compact fluorescent bulbsin 2007.
- Motion detectors and other occupancy sesors are employed to reduce lighting use.
Appliances & Mechanical Equipment
- Housing & Residence Life purchases only ENERGY STAR rated appliances for residences, if they are available for the application.
- PTAC (Package Terminal Air Conditioner) units have been installed in Lambeth Field apartments. These units reduce energy usage because heating and cooling can be
turned offwhen a room is unoccupied.
- Chillers, boilers and hot water heaters have been replaced with more efficient units in Lewis and Hoxton, Gooch/Dillard, Faulkner Apartments and University Gardens.
- All new vehicles purchased are electric,
hybrids or gatorsunless a specific justification for a traditional vehicle exists.
- Vehicles are washed only at a local car wash that recycles the water used.
Residence Hall Programs
- We facilitate competition between residence areas to reduce energy usage. For example, the Energy Challenge of 2009 compared metered energy consumption in the Alderman Road and McCormick Road Residence Areas, and resulted in a
20% reductionin energy usage compared to the previous year.
- All first year residence halls and many upperclass areas have Conservation Advocates who help educate residents on sustainability issues and collect concerns and questions about recycling and conservation throughout the school year.
- We partner with the Student Council Environmental Sustainability Committee to periodically review current conditions in residence halls and implement recommendations.