Skip to Content
Ten Simple Tips for Sustainable Living
- Turn off your computer monitor when you'll be away for more than a few minutes. Turn off and unplug your printer, speakers, and other peripherals when you're not using them. Turn off the lights and music every time you leave the room.
- Print rough drafts of papers on the back of scrap paper, or (if it's all right with the professor) print your papers on both sides.
- Use two hands to brush your teeth - one to operate the toothbrush and the other to turn off the faucet when you're not actively using the water.
- Use your own mug when you're getting coffee or tea to go - UVA Dining locations offer discounts, and you save paper cups.
- Recycle utilizing UVA's award-winning program.
- Refill reusable water bottles and store them in a refrigerator instead of buying new disposable bottles of water.
- Wash only full loads of laundry.
- Buy used and/or recycled products (including textbooks) whenever possible.
- Take only what you will eat in the dining halls and choose fresh, less-processed snacks (fruit, veggies, yogurt, cheese, whole grains) instead of processed items with excessive packaging.
- Take the bus (free with a UVA ID) or, better yet, walk or bike to your destination. It saves gas, money, and wear on your car, and you'll be healthier for it.