Visiting, Wage, Part-Time Identification Cards
Faculty/Staff ID cards are generally only issued to full-time, classified (receiving benefits) University-paid employees, as the cost of the first ID card is included in the benefits package.
Visiting faculty and scholars, wage employees, adjunct faculty, post-docs, fellows, temporary employees, non-UVA employees, part-time employees (not receiving benefits), non-paid employees, and contractors, are NOT automatically eligible for a University ID card. Because of their status, they are not eligible for many University services. However, if their sponsoring department provides the ID Card Office with the correct documentation and information, exceptions to the University Identification Card Policy can be made and ID cards can be issued on a justification basis.
The ID Card Office needs the following information to make an ID card. Please read these instructions carefully; we cannot issue an ID card without the correct information.
- Employee must have an active computing ID.
- Employee must present a valid form of an original government issued photo identification (U.S. Driver’s License issued by DMV, U.S. Identification Card issued by DMV, U.S. Permanent Resident /Green Card, Passport or U.S. Military ID card).
- Employee must have a letter (see sample) from their supervisor/department head on their department letterhead addressed to the ID Card Office signed by their supervisor/department head that states the following:
- Employee name, computing ID and date of birth
- Length of assignment (an expiration date must go on card)
- Valid reason for needing ID card*
- PTAO to cover card fee OR indicate employee to pay by cash or check.
*Cavalier Advantage, gym access and library use are not valid reasons for needing an ID card.
If you have any questions, please refer to the Identification Card Policy or contact the ID Card Office by phone 924-4508 or fax 982-5173.