David Higginbotham completed building the main house around 1820 near the existing buildings on a hillock with an outstanding view to the east. Jefferson provided building plans, but they differed from the house that was ultimately constructed by regional architect and master builder Martin Thacker. The symmetrical two-story brick house combined a late Georgian pattern with Roman Revival features. The house remains one of Virginia’s important examples of Federal-style architecture. Typical of many early 19th-century country houses of the Piedmont, its design is conservative and the decoration fairly restrained.
In 1906, Morven was sold to Samuel and Josephine Marshall. The Marshalls expanded the Main House in 1908 with a two-story addition including a kitchen on the north side designed by Baltimore architect, Howard Sill. Charles and Mary Stone purchased Morven in 1926, converting the farm into “Morven Stud” for thoroughbred horse breeding and cattle. The Stone family added attic dormers and a back terrace. Renovated in 1990 and again in 2009, the house includes four bedrooms and five and one-half modern baths in a now three-story, 6,412-square-foot estate home. The Main House includes a 611 square-foot terrace overlooking a rural landscape, formal entertaining rooms, a modern, updated kitchen and a parking lot.
Find more locations here.