|Day of Caring
Some 120 U.Va. employees volunteered at the Sept. 22 "Laurence
E. Richardson Day of Caring." Events included grounds
clean ups at Oakwood Cemetery and ARC of the Piedmont, plumbing
repairs at Gladstone Senior Center, and being a lunch buddy
to students at several area elementary schools.
Here, University Police Chief Mike Sheffield has lunch with
Dewill Shifflett, a student at of Stone-Robinson Elementary
more on U.Va. participants in the eighth annual "Day
of Caring," see "Day of Caring" story.
A. Harrison III
$10 million Harrison
gift to establish American history institute at library
David A. Harrison III of Hopewell has pledged $10 million to the
University Li- brary to establish an institute for the study of
American history, literature and culture, officials announced Sept.
24. The institute will draw upon the library's extensive holdings
of American manuscripts, rare books and documents and will be part
of a new library complex on the University's Central Grounds.
David A. Harrison III Institute will encompass a spacious exhibition
gallery, study areas for visiting scholars and a seminar room for
lectures and classes. It will be housed in a new 65,000-square-foot
facility that also will contain the Albert H. Small Special Collections
University is steward to a remarkable archive of American rare books
and manuscripts that define who we are as a diverse and thriving
culture," said University President John T. Casteen III. "David
Harrison's extraordinary gift enables us to present these materials
to the public in meaningful and enlightening ways, and to make them
readily accessible to scholars here and from around the world."
gift is one of the largest received in the Campaign for the University
of Virginia, which is pursuing a goal of $1 billion. Harrison, who
graduated from the College of Arts & Sciences in 1939 and from the
Law School in 1941, is on the Campaign Executive Committee and has
been one of the campaign's most generous participants. In addition
to his new commitment for the University Library, he has provided
major gifts for such areas as law, medicine, historical archaeology
and athletics. The Law School's expanded complex, the David A. Harrison
III Law Grounds, was named in recognition of his support. He funded
the football stadium's new grass surface, which has been named David
A. Harrison III Field, and a new artificial-turf playing field near
University Hall. Full story.