explores Albemarle's varied architectural styles in new book
Edward Lay is the Cary D. Langhorne Professor of Architecture
at U.Va. and joined the faculty in 1967. He is co-author
of A Virginia Family and Its Plantation Houses, also published
by the University Press of Virginia.
service to the cause of historic preservation has been honored
many times and includes awards from the Association for
the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities and from the City
of Charlottesville, and perhaps most notably, from his students,
who sponsor "Ed Lay Day" at the School of Architecture,
complete with custom T-shirts. He has served as associate
dean of the Architecture School, and has chaired Charlottesville's
Historic Landmarks Commission and the Board of Architectural
aspects of Lay's career are brought together in The Architecture
of Jefferson Country. He has explored both the vernacular
and classical traditions of Virginia architecture, earning
grants to study the European basis of Virginia's Ulster
Scot and German rural architecture, and conducting research
in the Palladian environment of Vicenza, Italy, where he
taught in U.Va.'s summer abroad programs. Lay has expanded
an architect's natural admiration for Jefferson into a comprehensive
evaluation of the continuing influence of Jefferson and
his master builders in and around Albemarle County.
with Thomas Jefferson's architectural legacy, many important examples
of other architectural styles have been built in Albemarle
County. At the turn of the 20th century, the renewed interest
of wealthy clients in eclectic styles attracted some of the finest
"Beaux Arts" architects in the country to the Charlottesville
area. Grand new buildings complemented and competed with the Jeffersonian
models 100 years earlier. In addition, throughout its history
Albemarle County has seen construction of a great variety of public
architectural landmarks: mills and churches, movie theaters and
hospitals, gas stations and taverns.
For many years U.Va. professor K. Edward Lay has been teaching,
guiding tours of and writing about this rich architectural legacy.
The Architecture of Jefferson Country is his definitive treatment
of a topic that has been his life's work. The book, which includes
26 color photographs and 369 black-and-white illustrations, is
divided into six chronological chapters: "The Georgian Period,"
"Thomas Jefferson and his Builders," "The Roman
Revival (1800-1830)," "The Greek Revivial (1830-1860),"
"Beyond the Classical Revival" and "The Eclectic
Era (1890-1939)." A final chapter discusses the University.
Lay explores more than 800 buildings, from a Sears house to grand
estates, the Abell-Gleason house and the Albemarle County jail
to Wavertree Hall and Zion Baptist Church. Maps of the area allow
readers and visitors to trace the locations of individual buildings
and to recognize trends of settlement and construction in the
"The Architecture of Jefferson Country" is an amazing
compendium of research and documentation and a model study of
a county's architectural legacy," said Richard Guy Wilson,
U.Va. Commonwealth Professor of Architectural History. "Albemarle
County's architecture mirrors national trends, but also from its
soil sprang some of the United States' most refined and historically
significant creations and styles."
A comprehensive CD-ROM inventory of over 3,000 images identified
with 2,400 buildings is available to supplement the book. The
CD-ROM allows the user to scroll through county and town maps
and click on important buildings to access individual records.
The records, drawings and photographs are searchable by building
type or characteristic, surname or other keywords. Also included
is the 1907 Massie Map of the county, which hasn't been reproduced
since its origin. The map shows historical data and the locations