Feb. 22-28, 2002
No layoffs, employees assured
VA Book festival, March 20-24, will open minds as well as books
Old textbooks find new life in rural high schools

To the point -- with William Morrish

Women engineers building school’s excellence
Sullivan Award nominations sought
Hot Links -- Undergraduate Research Network
Pulitzer Prize-winning poet Henry Taylor to read Feb. 28
Students have their day in the sun in solar home contest

with William Morrish

Elwood R. Quesada Professor of Architecture, Landscape Architecture, and Urban and Environmental Planning

William Morrish, architect and planner, came to U.Va.’s School of Architecture last fall from the University of Minnesota where he was the founding director of the Design Center for American Urban Landscape, a nationally recognized think tank for professionals, academics and civic leaders on issues of metropolitan urban design.

What are your current research interests?

The future transformation of the first-ring suburbs built in the 1950s to ’70s. How are they going to be transformed to serve people’s needs? How will new transportation and new technologies transform the 1950s tract houses?

What are the needs of new (young) families? What is the new economy of these areas?

William Morrish
Photo by Jenny Gerow

How could U.Va. contribute more to the changes in urban issues?

U.Va. needs to take a leadership role in questions of metropolitanization in the Virginia region — to get into the middle of the issues on transportation, housing, employment and jobs.

Do you see the Architecture School encouraging interdisciplinary programs?

“I am one” — I have an interdisciplinary chair in the School of Architecture [linking architecture, landscape architecture, and urban and environmental planning.] I’m also interested in the Law and Darden schools. Law because of rules and Darden because of business — things we put a value on as individuals and community.

What do you like best about U.Va.?

The fact that it’s humanities based. I came from a science-based university and it’s better to have a humanities culture as a base to deal with the issues we need to deal with today.

What books are you reading?

I’m reading a history of the East Coast to reacquaint myself — Alan Taylor’s book, American Colonies. I find the social/cultural history of the making of the U.S. very interesting for today. I’m also reading The Lexus and the Olive Tree: Understanding Globalization by Thomas Freedman. I keep coming back to that one. I’m also reading Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris — because of the language and his interpretation of people.

— Jane Ford