David Harrison, U.Va. benefactor,
died June 8
Alexander Harrison III, 85, a lawyer, investment banker, farmer,
philanthropist and generous benefactor of the University, died
June 8 at his Prince George County home, Flowerdew Hundred Farm,
from complications of Alzheimers disease.
affiliation with the University spanned decades. He served as
a trustee of the Law
School Foundation, a member of the Alumni Association Board
of Managers and a member of both the University and the Law School
campaign executive committees. Harrison and his wife, Mary, established
professorships in law, medicine and archaeology, and provided
funding for the David A. Harrison III Awards for Undergraduate
Research, which most recently benefited 42 recipients.
also contributed to the football program and to the rebuilding
of the Law Grounds. Construction on his most recent philanthropic
project, the Mary and David Harrison Institute of American History,
Literature and Culture, recently got under way.
was blessed with a long field of vision, said University
President John T. Casteen III. When he planted mimosas or
rhododendron at Flowerdew, he calculated placements, arrangements
and distances on the basis of how things would be in 50 years.
and Mrs. Harrisons many gifts always predicted future returns
on their investments. They wanted to support teaching first and
foremost. He admired teaching that provoked young people to look
to the future, to imagine challenges and accomplishments at something
like 50 years distance.
Aug. 30, 1916, in Petersburg, he was the son of attorney David
A. Harrison Jr. and Elizabeth D. Harrison. After receiving undergraduate
and law degrees from U.Va., he enlisted in the U.S. Army 12 days
after the attack on Pearl Harbor, served on Gen. Douglas MacArthurs
staff in the Philippines and was discharged in August 1944 as
a captain. In 1944, he married Mary Francis Anderson of Old Brookville,
N.Y., who died in 1990.
is survived by two sons and three daughters, 13 grandchildren,
two great-grandchildren; two sisters and a brother. Another brother
died in 1989.
began his career at the Freeport Sulphur Co. in New York and in
1947, joined the New City law firm of White & Case, where
he specialized in corporate law. In 1961, he joined the securities
firm, Reynolds & Co. (now Morgan Stanley), later becoming
1987, the Harrisons moved to Flowerdew Hundred Farm in Prince
George County, which they had purchased in 1967. Harrison pursued
his love of farming and devoted more time to overseeing archaeological
from 1617, Flowerdew Hundred is one of the oldest English settlements
in the U.S. The Harrisons established the Flowerdew Hundred Foundation
to oversee the archaeological studies and promote education through
museum and site tours on the farm.
memorial service was held June 13 at Flowerdew Hundred.