Sept. 13-26, 2002
Back Issues
IN THIS ISSUE
State OKs parking garage
’92 bonds transformed Grounds
HR to implement payroll in Oracle Sept. 26
Nominations sought for Thomas Jefferson Award

Ayers paints realistic budget picture for board

Budget crisis at a glance
Research boosts economy
Why study war in 21st century?
On Ethical Grounds
Faith makes a good dad
In Memoriam
Hot Links -- State Governmental Relations
Bioethicist sees cautionary tale in clash of ethics, science
Vaccine holds meningitis cases to zero
Echinacea — Does the herbal cold remedy really work?
New chancellor installed at Wise
Events feature activists, authors, films and music
After Hours -- Green thumb comes with British touch

Budget crisis at a glance

On Aug. 19, Gov. Mark R. Warner announced a $1.5 billion shortfall in the state’s two-year budget, nearly double what was earlier estimated.

U.Va.’s budget for the current fiscal year already reflected a $23.4 million general fund reduction; that reduction was projected to increase by an additional $33.3 million in 2003-04. Cuts that might result from the August announcement would be on top of those previously ordered.

U.Va. officials already had frozen state-funded hiring and discretionary spending. Now, along with all other state agencies, U.Va. is in the process of preparing three separate budget reduction plans – for 7, 11 and 15 percent – at the governor’s request. Agencies had already been asked to reduce their budgets by 7 and 8 percent this fiscal year and next, respectively, to meet the $50 billion two-year budget. Under the August directive, the total cuts could amount to about 23 percent for some agencies.


CURRENT ISSUE

© Copyright 2002 by the Rector and Visitors
of the University of Virginia

UVa Home Page UVa Events Calendar Top News UVa Home Page