TABLE OF CONTENTS
- The Integrated System
- Preparation & Access
- Training Requirements
- Alternatives to Using the System
- What type of computer, operating system, and software do I need to use the system?
- What do I have to do if I want to use the system?
- Do I have to sign an Electronic Access Agreement form?
- Can I view reports on-line in the Integrated System?
- Do I need training to view reports?
- Do I need training just to approve transactions?
- Do I, or my employees, need training to create unique reports?
- Do I, or my employees, need training to do purchasing on-line?
- Why can't someone in my departmental office train me or my employees?
- Do I have to go into the Integrated System to certify effort reports?
- If I do not want to be trained or do not have access to a properly configured PC, what alternatives do I have for viewing reports?
- If I do not want to be trained or do not have access to a properly configured PC, what alternatives do I have for running reports?
The Integrated System
is the Integrated System?
The Integrated Systems Project is a an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system, a state-of-the-art group of integrated software applications from Oracle Corp. in the areas of finance and human resources information management. The third component of the Integrated System is SIS, an integrated student information system from PeopleSoft, owned by Oracle.
the Integrated System affect me?
The finance implementation affects those faculty members who do their own purchasing on-line and who create, run or view financial reports on-line. The human resources implementation has little effect on faculty.
- Project: A major activity such as a grant, an instructional program, an athletic team, etc.
- Task: A further breakdown or division within the project (initially there will be one default task: 101)
- Award: A source of funds that supports one or more projects, e.g. a grant award.
- Expenditure Type: The item you are purchasing.
- Organization: All units at UVA have been assigned an organization code that is used by all Integrated System applications.
When making a purchase, you enter the appropriate PTAEO. Your departmental business officer is able to tell you the equivalent P-T-A-O for your current account. The E, like object code, will depend on what you are purchasing. All of these values are available on-line as lists of values from which to choose. All salaries, wages, and stipends are also charged to PTAEO.
Preparation & Access
type of computer, operating system, and software do
I need to use the system?
Click here for desktop requirements. It is important that you review this information since not every computer operating system will function within the Integrated System environment. In addition, there are several pieces of software that must be loaded on the machines in order to run the Integrated System system and its query tool, Discoverer.
do I have to do if I want to use the system?
Anyone who uses the Integrated System will have to be assigned an "Integrated System responsibility," go through training, sign an Electronic Access Agreement, and be given a password. The only exception for this is viewing reports, where classroom training is not required to receive the responsibility and password. If you think you require access to the system, contact your departmental business manager.
I have to sign an Electronic Access Agreement?
If you are given an Integrated System responsibility, you will have to sign an Electronic Access Agreement. Everyone throughout the University with a given responsibility has access to the same forms and information as everyone else with that responsibility. Therefore, it is essential that each person has signed an Electronic Access Agreement confirming that they understand the proper use of the information and the consequences of misuse.
I view reports on-line in the Integrated System?
You can view reports if you have the right software loaded (see "Prepare Your Desktop"), you have been assigned Viewer responsibility, and you have followed on-line instructions, attended a demonstration, or been shown how to view reports on-line. Reports may be viewed real time from within the Integrated System applications (e.g., OGM Viewer responsibility). Additional reports are available from the Operational Data Store (ODS) (if only viewing from the ODS and not from the applications, you would require the ODS Viewer responsibility).
I need training just to approve transactions?
Yes, approvers must receive the same training as the person entering the transaction. Anyone authorized to approve a transaction in the Integrated System has access to the same forms and information as the individuals doing the transactions. Therefore, they must know how to navigate correctly and be able to interpret the transaction they are approving. Approvers may be assigned the lowest level of responsibility that provides access to the forms to minimize the hours of training required.
I, or my employees, need training to create unique reports?
Yes. Classes are required for employees who will create reports. The reporting tool, Discoverer, is an end-user query tool and it is relatively easy to learn and use.
can't someone in my departmental office train me or
Everyone throughout the University with a given responsibility has access to the same forms and information as everyone else with that responsibility. Therefore, it is essential that each person has been trained on the proper use of the forms and information and has signed an Electronic Access Agreement confirming that they understand their proper use and the consequences of misuse. Receiving the standard training also minimizes the possibility of incorrect information being provided and removes the time burden of training from schools and departments.
Alternatives to Using the System
I do not want to be trained or do not have access to
a properly configured PC, what alternatives do I have
for viewing reports?
You would have to have someone in your departmental office print the report for you.
- take a Discoverer Training Class to obtain the UVA ODS Specialist responsibility (not required if you have any other finance or HR responsibility in the Integrated System).
- have VPN up and running
- have access to the Internet, and
- be running a certified browser and operating system
- The U.Va. Help Desk at 4-HELP (434-924-4357)
- Continued training commitment for new employees, people who need additional training, and people who change jobs or responsibilities
I have questions, whom should I contact?
Because the people in your department will know most about how they are implementing the Integrated System, we suggest you seek assistance in the following order:
- Departmental business officer
- The U.Va. Help Desk at 4-HELP (434-924-4357)
- Carole Horwitz, ISDS Communication Manager, email@example.com