- Always remember to tab through all
the fields on the People and the Assignment forms
so that you do not forget to complete any of them.
- Remember that hitting "Update" creates
a history field and hitting "Correction" overrides
the existing information.
- Schools and departments must request a new faculty position in Jobs@UVa or post a vacant position. This
process must be done before a faculty member can be
hired into Oracle.
- Never end date an existing primary
assignment unless terminating the person. If you want
to change the primary assignment for an employee,
update the primary assignment to reflect the details
of the new position. If adding an additional assignment
to an employee, create a new assignment, leaving the
primary assignment record as is.
- In our current environment, there
are numerous student worker and faculty retroactive
hires. In Oracle, you can retroactively hire a salaried
employee, but the retroactive pay will have to be
done manually by the Payroll Department. Hourly employees
can be hired retroactively one pay period without
having to contact Payroll. A retroactive paper timesheet must be completed, signed, and faxed to Human Resources Payroll to receive the retro pay. When entering Goal Pay
employees, you can only use a current or future pay
BACK TO TOP
Specialists Should Watch For
People Form - Address
People Form - Others
- Don't forget to enter the "Address
Type" on the Address Form. This is used for W2 forms,
labels, and letters.
- Always ensure that the "Primary"
checkbox on the Address is checked for the Home Address.
A person must have one and only one primary address,
which should be the employee's home address. The
primary address is where official HR Mailings, such
as the W-2 form and benefits information will be sent.
If the employee is an ex-employee or a non-paid employee,
they can have another address type as primary.
- While most employees can update their addresses via UVa Employee Self-Service, you must add any foreign home address information on behalf of the employee. When terminating an employee with a foreign home address, change the primary home address to that of the Payroll Office until after the ex-employee has received their final W-2. After the W-2 is received, move the foreign home address to the primary position and end-date the address for the Payroll Office. Payroll Office address: PO Box 400127, University Payroll, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4127.
- Choose a school or college from the
"Schools and Colleges Attended" List of Values. If
you type it as a value, you will create multiple entries
for the same institution.
- Before entering "Contact" information,
ensure that the Contact is not already in the system
by searching the List of Values. If the person is
already in the database, and you type the information,
you will create multiple entries for that employee.
- Remember that if you terminate an
employee, all the employee's assignments will be terminated.
Do not use "end employment" unless you intend to end
all the employee's active assignments.
- Remember that you will need to enter
new employees and make any changes or corrections
to existing employees in a timely manner. If actions
are not entered and approved before the payroll cutoff,
then the employee's pay may be incorrect.
Assignment Form - Others
- Under Salary Information Alternate
Region, be sure to complete the "Salary Basis" with
the correct value from the List of Values. If this
is not entered, you will not be able to complete the
- If you complete the Salary Basis
Field with the value "Non 12 Month Annual Salary,"
make sure that you complete the Descriptive Flexfield
(DFF) field that states "Number of Work Months."
If the Salary Basis Field is completed with "Annual,"
the "Number of Work Months" field in the DFF should
- If you complete the Salary Basis
Field with the value "Goal Payment," make sure that
you complete the Descriptive Flexfield (DFF) field
that states "Number of Goal Pay Periods."
- Always verify your "Standard Conditions"
fields ("Working Hours" and "Frequency") in the Alternate
region after you have saved your assignment.
- Always remember to complete the "Assignment
Change Reason" in the Descriptive Flexfield (DFF)
for every transaction. This reason drives all subsequent
HR/Payroll activity (benefits, records, and payroll).
- Remember to complete "Secondary Status"
when putting an employee on leave. Do not delete the
"Secondary Status" when the employee returns from
leave. If the employee goes on leave again or extends their existing leave, enter
another status on the line below.
- Remember to either hit the down arrow
or green plus sign on the tool bar to enter a new
salary or record a change in salary.
BACK TO TOP