Below are questions and answers pertaining to the SIS component of the Integrated System.TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Student Records
- Academic Advisement (Academic Requirements)
- Advising (other)
- Technical (including Discoverer)
- Data Security Contacts
- Why won't one of my SIS pages work after a bundle upgrade?
- What training is required before using SIS?
- What training is required before using ImageNow?
- What are the desktop requirements for me to do my work in SIS?
- How do I change my SIS administrative password? What are the rules for passwords for SIS administrative users?
- How do I log onto SIS?
- When I am working in SIS, and I forget how to do a process, where do I go for help?
- How do I request an enhancement to SIS?
- What do the numbers in the admit term codes stand for?
- Is it necessary to enter dashes when adding the National ID number or phone number?
- What effective date do I enter when adding a new guidance counselor (contact)?
- How do I keep a history of guidance counselors at a particular school?
- How can I get reports of applicant or prospect data?
- When manually entering applications into the system, is there a way to save time when entering the same data for each applicant?
- How do I see whether an application already exists for an applicant?
- After manually entering and saving a new application, can I immediately admit the applicant?
- When would I delete an application?
- When looking at application information, how do I quickly move to a function in Campus Community or Student Admissions?
- Does the system recognize if I do not enter the case correctly?
- Is it okay to use the browser back button to return to a former screen?
- When trying to pull up an applicant under Maintain Application, I received an error message: First operand of . is NULL . so cannot access member. What should I do?
- How do I correct an incorrect association of advisors and departments?
- Who can view a student's transcript in the SIS?
- If I receive an error message that reads: "First operand of . is NULL . so cannot access member.", what should I do?
Why won't one of my SIS pages work after a bundle upgrade?
If you have customized a page and a bundle upgrade impacts that page, you will have to restore your customization.
What are the desktop requirements for me to do my work in SIS?
Desktop requirements are posted on the Desktop Readiness.
How do I change my SIS administrative password? What are the rules for passwords for SIS administrative users?
You will receive your initial password when you get notice of being assigned your SIS responsibility. You will be required to change this initial password; going forward, you will also be required to change your password on an annual basis (effective March 2015).
The password will need to be changed through the SIS administrative site. You cannot change this password using Self Service. If you wish to change your password before the annual change date, log into the SIS and click on Change My Password in the Menu. If you have forgotten your password and cannot log in, call the UVa Help Desk.
The new password should be a strong password; these are our recommendations for strong passwords.
How do I log onto SIS?
- Using your UVa Identity Token, start the Cisco Joint VPN client.
- Go to the SIS Administrative Users web page.
- Click on the Launch SIS Admin icon which takes you to the login for the administrative pages.
- Enter your user login and password.
You may want to bookmark this site for easy access.
When I am working in SIS, and I forget how to do a process, where do I go for help?
Click the Help link located at the top right of the page > Click the UPK link (the UPK outline displays) > Locate the topic > Highlight the topic and click Do It, located at the top right of the page (the Do It window floats over the right side of the page you are working on.) > Click the arrow within to move through each step. Click here for further instructions.
What do the numbers in the admit term codes stand for?
In the code 1098, 1=century; 09=year; 8=month (fall semester). Other semesters are indicated by 1 (January), 2 (spring semester), and 6 (summer semester).
What effective date do I enter when adding a new guidance counselor (contact)?
If there is no need to have one counselor (at a school with multiple counselors) the primary contact, then the contact effective date can be any date. If you choose to make one particular counselor the "primary" contact, then that counselor's effective date would need to match the organization's effective date.
How do I keep a history of guidance counselors at a particular school?
In order to keep a history of counselors at a specific school, you can use the status "active" or "inactive" tied to the effective date. For example, you would add Jane Smith as a counselor, effective date=06/18/2008, status=active. Then, when you discover she has left that school, you could add to her contact details a row with an effective date=10/12/2010, status=inactive. Later, when you wish to view this information, you would choose "Include History" (a button at the bottom of the page) to see her active and inactive status. Remember that if you are viewing the Organization Table page, you will see only active contacts. In order to see inactive contacts (or history) you would have to go to the Organization Contacts page.
How can I get reports of applicant or prospect data?
Discoverer is the reporting tool that will be used to extract applicant or prospect data from the system. System users with appropriate access will be able to run reports on applicant and prospect data.
When manually entering applications into the system, is there a way to save time when entering the same data for each applicant?
Yes, you may set your User Defaults in the system to auto-populate fields where data are the same. For example, each fall, to get ready for the next application cycle, you may choose to set a default for Admit Term and Admit Type. Always be sure to reset the defaults after you enter a group of applications.
For more information click the Help link in the SIS, then click the UPK link. Search for and launch the topic “Setting Your User Defaults.”
How do I see whether an application already exists for an applicant?
First, you would go to Search/Match to see if there is a “person record” for the applicant. If there is a “person record,” then go to Student Admissions>Application Maintenance>Maintain Application to see if the person already has an application in the system.
After manually entering and saving a new application, can I immediately admit the applicant?
When you manually enter an application, a Program Action of APPL is entered automatically when you save the record. If at the time of entering the application you know that that applicant has been admitted, do not use the application entry page to enter a new row to create a Program Action of ADMT. Instead, go to Maintain Application to enter a new row on the Application Program Data tab. Failing to do so negatively impacts Student Records and Student Financials, and may require you to delete the application and start over.
When would I delete an application?
You would delete an application if you discover that there is a duplicate application. You may also need to delete an application if you add a new row on the Application Program (see question above).
When looking at application information, how do I quickly move to a function in Campus Community or Student Admissions?
From the application screen, the tabs labeled Application Program Data, Application Data, Application School/Recruiting, and Application Student Response each have a “Transfer To” box at the bottom of the page. This enables you to transfer easily to another area in the system, such as Academic Interests, Checklist, or Test Results. You can also add these pages to your favorites in the system.
Does the system recognize if I do not enter the case correctly?
Text is saved the way it is entered. Therefore, it must be entered in mixed case. Keep in mind that the way the name and address appear in the system is the way it will appear on communication sent to applicants.
When trying to pull up an applicant under Maintain Application, I received an error message: First operand of . is NULL . so cannot access member. What should I do?
Clear the cache on your computer and try again. To do so:
1. Go to your Windows Internet Browser
2. Select Tools/Internet Options from the Tool Bar
3. Click on the General Tab and, under Browsing History, click Delete – this will clear any Internet cookies, and temporary files.
How do I correct an incorrect association of advisors and departments?
The person in the school or department who has the Schedule of Classes role can correct the association of advisors to departments as follows:
Go to the Instructor/Advisor table: Curriculum Management > Instructor/Advisor Information > Instructor/Advisor Table
Find your instructor, add a row with a new effective date, and change the value in the “Primary Acad Org” box in the top section on the first tab. And then “Save”.
Who can view a student's transcript in the SIS?
A student and the student’s advisor(s) can view an unofficial transcript via the Student Center or Faculty Center. Users with administrative or viewer access (such as View Academic History) can see a student's course history (not the transcript) through the Student Services Center view. They can also view grades and statistics term-by-term on the Academics tab of the Student Services Center.
Data Security Contact FAQs
- If you have the UV Security Verify role, log onto SIS from the SIS homepage (you will need an UVa Identity Token).
- Navigate to: PeopleTools > Security > User Profiles > User Profiles
- Enter the person's user ID and click Search.
- Select the "Roles" tab to see the user’s SIS roles.