ADI - Creating Journal Entries
UVA GL Budget Specialist
GL Accounting Manager
The Director of Accounting Services is responsible for ensuring that this document is necessary, reflects actual practice, and supports University policy.
Applications Desktop Integrator
B ® Ledger ® Enter Journals
Create Journal Worksheet
After signing onto ADI, click the [Ledger] icon (open book; third from left) on your toolbar and select 'Enter Journal' from the list.
1. The Create Journal Worksheet screen appears. Use the Journal Worksheet to complete your journal entries.
Choose Journal Type
There are four types of journal entries you can setup from the Journal Worksheet. When you select one, ADI creates a corresponding journal worksheet in Excel:
NOTE: Most users will create the Functional Actuals type of journal.
NOTE: Budget journals will be created in the University Budget Office.
Number of Journals
Specify the number of journal entries to enter – single or multiple.
Create Worksheet In
Select whether you want to create the worksheet in a new workbook or current workbook.
2. Once you have selected your Journal Worksheet Options, click on the Enter icon (green checkmark). This will bring up the Journal Worksheet in which you create your journal entry.
3. Enter the journal header information as requested on the worksheet: Accounting Date, Category, Journal Name, and Journal Header description.
NOTE: Key the date in Accounting Date and Journal Description cells in the DD-MMM-YYYY format (UPPER CASE) as a "label". Select the cell, key an apostrophe, then the correctly formatted date. This insures General Ledger receives the correct date format in its Effective Date field.
4. Enter an Account string (GL string) for each journal line by
5. Enter a Debit or Credit amount for each journal line. You can use Excel formulas to enter your amounts.
6. Enter the appropriate journal line description.
7. Enter information for any optional fields that you specified if you customized the journal worksheet.
NOTE: To insert additional rows into the
journal template you must Unprotect your worksheet. From the Excel Menu choose
Tools ® Protection ® Unprotect from the Excel menu.
8. The journal worksheet is ready for Upload/Import.
Oracle Tutor can be licensed to modify and add to this content, documenting all of your business process documentation in the Oracle Tutor format.
Oracle® Tutor Copyright © 1997, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.