OTL - Define and Manage Groups
Chief Human Resource Officer
Time, Leave, and Payroll Processing [PRO7005P]
Time Management [PRO7000P]
The Chief Human Resource Officer is responsible for ensuring that this document is necessary, reflects actual practice, and supports University policy.
Define a Group
N ® Timekeeper Groups
Open OTL Timekeeper to define Timekeeper Groups. If you add Timekeeper Groups to your Top Ten List, you will save time when you need to Define a Group.
We recommend that you set up a Master Group for all employees in your Organization, and enter data for an individual employee (find by employee) without ever going into the Master Group. Periodically, you can delete the Master Group and re-define it to capture new employees.
You may wish to set up a separate Group for non-exempt employees, since non-exempt employees require close monitoring so that they will receive a pay check.
You can define as many Groups as you like. Follow the steps below to set up a Group.
1. Name the Group using the suggested naming convention.
2. Populate Person field region: Select either [Assignment Set] or [Organization] (see below)
Define a Group by Organization
3. (Use the yellow diskette icon) to SAVE your work.
Groups must be manually updated, as employees are hired.
Define a Group by Assignment Set
Find a Group
Once you have defined Groups, you may want to add employees to a Group, delete employees in a Group or delete the entire Group. You will need to go into query mode to FIND your Group.
1. Select [Timekeeper Groups], [OTL Define Timekeeper Group]
2. From the menu, Select View>Query By Example>Enter
Short cut to Enter a query: Click in the Name field and press the F11 key on your keyboard.
2. Enter either the exact name of the Group or find all Groups that begin with your computing id, followed by the wildcard
3. From the menu, Select View>Query By Example>Run
Short cut to Run a query: Hold down the Shift key and press the F11 on your keyboard
Add an Employee to a Group
1. Select [Timekeeper Groups]>OTL Define Timekeeper Group
2. From the Menu, select [View], [Query by Example], [Enter]
3. Enter your computing id, followed by %(wildcard).
4. From the Menu, select [View], [Query by Example], [Run]
5. Use the Page Down key on your keyboard to find the appropriate Group.
6. If there is no available record, click on the icon to Add a Record
7. Enter the last name of the employee in the Person region and select the tab key.
8. Select the employee from the list of values.
7. SAVE your work.
Delete an Employee from a Group
You can delete employees from a Group, but be sure you do not delete the employee from your Group while the timecard is in process. When you select the ellipses for the employee record, you are deleting the one employee record (left to right on the row), and not all of the records in the Group.
It is extremely important to place your cursor in a field in the employee record, or on the ellipses to the left of the employee’s name before you attempt to delete. IF your cursor is in the top region of the Timekeeper Group form, you will be deleting the Group instead of the employee.
1. Find the Group that includes the employee
2. Click in the record indicator to the left of the name, select the (X) icon.
3. When the Decision box is presented, select [Yes,] you really want to delete this record.
4. The next prompt will ask if you want to PURGE this record. The answer is [Yes].
5. (Use the yellow diskette icon) to SAVE your work.
Delete a Group
You can delete an entire Group, but be sure you are not deleting at a time that you may need to enter time or time and leave for an employee.
1. Find the Group you wish to delete
2. Click your cursor in either the Name or Timekeeper field (top region of the form).
3. Click the [X] icon on the Toolbar
4. The Decision box is presented. Read the choices carefully and select [Yes] or [No].
5. SAVE the deletion.
Rename a Group
You can rename a Group at anytime.
1. Find the Group
2. Change the name of the Group
Effective: aUGUST 16, 2009
Copyright 2004 University of Virginia and Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
Oracle® Tutor Copyright © 1997, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.