Creating Mailing Labels Using MS Word 2000
Chief Human Resource Officer
UVA HRMS Specialist
UVA HRMS Faculty/Staff Reviewer
UVA HRMS Viewer
The Chief Human Resource Officer is responsible for ensuring that this document is necessary, reflects actual practice, and supports University policy.
Edit Mailing Labels Source File
1. Using Microsoft Excel, open the file containing the data from the IS.HR_Employee Information for Labels report.
If you specified a data directory when exporting the file, the file will be located where you saved it. If you did not specify a directory, it will be saved in the default data directory for Discoverer.
2. Delete rows 1 and 2. Do not delete row 3, the row with the column headers such as "First Name" and "Last Name".
3. Save your work.
4. Close Microsoft Excel.
Create Mail Merge Document
5. Open Microsoft Word to a blank document.
6. From the Tools menu, select Mail Merge. The Mail Merge Helper window opens.
7. In step 1, click the Create button and select Mailing Labels from the list.
8. Click the Active Window button.
9. In Step 2, click the Get Data button and select Open Data Source.
10. Navigate to the location of the data file using the Look in drop-down list.
11. Select MS Excel Worksheets (*.xls) from the Files of type drop-down list.
12. Click on the data file, and click the Open button.
13. Entire Spreadsheet is selected. Click the OK button.
14. Click the Set Up Main Document button.
15. Choose the appropriate label options.
16. Click the OK button.
17. Click the Insert Merge Field button and select the first field to print on the labels. E.g., First_Name.
18. Continue selecting fields to include on the labels until all fields you wish to print have been selected.
19. Click the OK button.
20. Click the Merge button.
21. Select merge options.
22. Click the Merge button. Microsoft word will perform the mail merge, creating a new document containing your labels. An example is below. This may look different depending upon which label format you are using.
23. Print the labels from the new document.
24. If you wish, save your labels document and your mail merge document for future use.
25. Close Microsoft Word.
Revision: 1 03/09/04
Oracle Tutor can be licensed to modify and add to this content, documenting all of your business process documentation in the Oracle Tutor format.
Oracle® Tutor Copyright © 1997, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.