This section of the website contains information about reports in the Integrated System. This is a good place to start for any questions about the ODS, Discoverer, or other reporting issues.TABLE OF CONTENTS
Nov. 19, 2015
Help File Updated
The ODS Help File has been updated. See the Help File.
Please contact RPTSupport@virginia.edu if you have any questions or issues.
Feb. 13, 2015
Unused Noetix Views to be Retired
In preparation for the Decision Support project, which will build a new university Data Warehouse and choose a new Business Intelligence tool to replace Discoverer, we are starting to remove unused Noetix Views from Discoverer. Please click here for a list of the views being removed. The list consists of views that
- are not used by any Discoverer workbook saved in the database and
- were not queried at any time in 2014.
If you find that we have removed a view that you need, please write RPTSupport@virginia.edu and we will restore the view.
Users who have database accounts on the ODS and may be impacted by this change will receive a separate email notification.
June 24, 2014
The Microsoft version of the Help File is no longer supported.
Reports in the Integrated System may be obtained from one of two sources:
- The Operation Data Store (ODS)
The ODS is a copy of the Oracle applications database that is created specifically for reporting. This copy is updated each night.
The primary tool for reporting from the ODS is Oracle Discoverer.
- Application Reports
These are reports which are run form within the Oracle Application. They are either standard reports that are provided with the application, or custom reports that were developed by the Integrated System Deployment & Support staff.
For information on application reports, please refer to the appropriate module. For information on scheduling Application Reports to run at a future time, please see Scheduling Oracle Standard Reports.
The Operational Data Store (ODS) is a separate database, on a separate machine from the primary Integrated System application database. Each night at 5:30, a backup of the application database begins. Later in the night, this backup is copied to the ODS. Therefore, the data in the ODS is an exact copy of what was in the application database the previous evening. However, because nightly batch processing has not yet taken place at the time the backup is created, some data in the ODS may appear to be older. For example, transactions entered into the application yesterday may not have been posted to the General Ledger at the time the backup is created. This is illustrated in the Refresh graphic. Please note that this represents what will happen on a typical day. At month-end, the ODS will not be refreshed until month-end processing is complete, so all relevant data should be present in the ODS the following day.
The ODS is located behind the U.Va. firewall. Therefore you must be logged into VPN in order to be able to access the ODS.
The primary tool being provided for use with the ODS is Oracle Discoverer. Through Discoverer, users have access to a number of easy-to-use predefined reports. Those who need to create their own reports can do that by adapting the predefined reports to their own needs, or by creating new reports.
While Discoverer is the primary tool provided and supported by ITS-Enterprise Applications, other tools may be used. Regardless of the tool you intend to use with the ODS, you should install Discoverer, because the installation includes other software that is needed to connect to the Oracle database from any tool.
In order to use Discoverer or other tools with the ODS, you need to have an active Integrated System account, including one or more of the following responsibilities:
- UVA ODS Specialist
- UVA ODS Specialist-Limited
- UVA ODS Specialist-Restricted
- UVA ODS Specialist-Deducts
- UVA ASC ODS Viewer
When you use the ODS, you will be using a number of database views which combine data from many sources in order to make them easier for you to use. Most of these views are part of a purchased product called Noetix Views. Others were developed by ITS-Enterprise Applications to meet U.Va.'s particular needs. If you use Discoverer, the views will be divided into broad Business Areas that indicate their general purpose. Through other tools, you will see the views in a single alphabetized list. It is extremely important to choose the correct view or views for the information you need. For more information on the ODS views and the data they contain, see the ODS Help file.
The Finance Usability and System Solutions (FUSS) Task Force prepares a series of presentations that focus on reports. Each session focuses on several reports and explains how to read them and when to use them, and any related features available. The slides from each presentation are posted here for future reference.
To view or print a copy of one of these presentations, complete with text of the presentation:
- Click on the appropriate Focus on Reports document, and open it.
- From the Menu bar, select: Edit, Edit Slides.
- From the Menu bar, select: Print.
- Select Note Pages from the Print what: drop down box.
- Click Preview to view on line, or OK to print.
- Session 1: FM_Expenditure Detail by Project, and FM_Project BBA by Expenditure Type reports.
- Session 2: Scheduling Discoverer and Standard Reports and Printing and Reprinting Standard Reports
- Session 3: LD_Pay & Distribution ADJ History Report
- Session 4: FM_Personnel Costs by Fiscal Year Report
- Session 5: Cash Balance by Project Report
- Session 6: GL_Only Project Activity Detail Report
- Session 7: UVA PA Revenue vs Installment vs Project Funding vs Expenditures
- Session 8: FM_Installment Modification by Organization Report
- Session 9: UVA PA Installment vs Projecting Funding vs Expenditure
- Session 10: Award BBA by Award Manager
- Session 11: BU_Budget vs Actual by Revenue Project
- Session 12: LD_Labor Suspense Detail Report
- Session 13: LD_Labor Schedule Hierarchy Report
- Session 14: Pay_Payroll Reconciliation Report
- Session 15: GL_Revenue Project Relationships
- Session 16: GL_Cash Balance Summary by Org Report
- Session 17: FM Report Standardized Parameters
- Session 18: PO or Invoice Distribution Detail
- Session 19 - PI Funds Available & Project Detail Reports
- Session 20 - PI Labor Schedule - Award - NIH Grant Type Reports
- Session 21 - FM_Project BBA Summary
- Session 22 - FM_Project Multi-Period and YTD Expenditure Comparison
- Session 23 - FM_PI Multi-Period Expenditure Comparison
- Session 24 - UVA P Card Distributions Report
- Session 25 - LD_Labor Suspense Project Balance Report