The University of Virginia is implementing an upgrade to version 11i.10 of the Oracle applications. Version 11i.10 is a "point" release, which will have less of an impact of users than the original 11i (11i.9) upgrade.TABLE OF CONTENTS
The University of Virginia has implemented version 11.03 of the Oracle financial and human resources/payroll applications. The technical upgrade to version 11i of the Oracle applications will offer more intuitive navigation and a new look and feel. A series of functional upgrades will follow the technical upgrade. Some of the new features that will be part of the technical upgrade are listed below. For a complete list of new features and when they will be implemented, click here.
- Fixed Assets
- General Ledger
- Grants Management
- Human Resources
- Labor Distribution
- Order Entry/Inventory
- Personal homepage
- Web-like features
- Better help and error messages
- Cancellation of long-running Queries
- Intend to support MacIntosh support OS 10 and higher
- Rerunnable depreciation
- Drilldown to details in PO, AP, AR, Fixed Assets, Inventory, and Grants Management
- Drill down from award management to award budget forms
- Establish burden schedule overrides
- Installment closeout notification
- Mass employee assignment update
- Earnings policy button on assignment
- Find and update a set of applicant assignments as a group
- Position copy
- Mass move to reorganize positions and the people assigned to them
- Mass position update
- Position date tracking
- Organization and position hierarchy diagrammers
- Summary of adjustments by batch name
- Distribution adjustment by assignment
- Standard reports for payroll encumbrances
- Schedule lines sorted most recent on top
- Pro-rata calculation of encumbrances
- Entirely new application
- Automatic retry of Document Manager errors
- Purchase order copying
- Search forwarded documents based on document number
- For Everyone
- For Purchasing/Accounts Payable Users
- For Grants Management Users
- For Human Resource Users
- Bookmarks/Favorites: Browser bookmarks (favorites) that you set before may not work in 11i. Be sure to enter the system by clicking the ENTER button on the IS webpage. You will also have to link to the PTAO Card Generator from the IS webpage.
1. You will be able to use the same system password in 11i that you did during cutover, until that password is set to expire. At that time, you will have to change your password to a strong password. Instructions will be included in the email message telling you your password is about to expire.
2. The system will lock you out after three unsuccessful efforts to log on. If you forget your password or get locked out of the system, call the ITC Help Desk at 4-3731. Your new password will not work in Discoverer until the next day.
- Discoverer Log-on: When you log on to Discoverer, you will now type iODS instead of ODS in the Connect field on the log-on window. If you have trouble logging on and know you used the correct password and iODS, check the version you are using (should be 4.1.47). If old version (4.1.37), contact LSP or ITC Help Desk, 4-3731.
- Session Time-Out: Your Integrated System session will time-out if you have a form open for 90 minutes with no activity. You will receive an error message saying, "Your log on session is no longer valid. Would you like to log back on?" Respond YES, and it will bring up the log-on screen. Log on and continue.
- “Cancel Query” pop-up box: If it takes longer than 10 seconds to retrieve data, you will see a pop-up box that is titled “cancel query” that states “press to cancel to end this database operation.” Pressing cancel or clicking the “x” to close the box will end the query. Therefore, you should only select cancel or click “x” if the action is no longer needed.
- JInitiator message: If you receive a message when opening 11i that you need a newer version of JInitiator, click “Accept” and follow the prompts (for Internet Explorer) to install the new version. If you have questions, contact your LSP.
- ActiveX error message: If you receive an activeX error when opening 11i or receive an activeX warning, you will need to update your security settings.
- Discoverer report run time notice: Discoverer gives you the option of warning you if a query will run longer than a certain number of minutes that you determine. Under the Tools menu, select Options, then select Query Governor, and see "Warn me if predicted query time exceeds," followed by a box. In version 11i of the Integrated System, the system will try to predict the run time of the query, and if it is longer than the number of minutes in the box, it will ask you if you still want to run the query. If you do not want to be asked this each time you run a query, set the number in the box higher.
- Don’t get locked out of Discoverer: In 11i, you will get an email notification 10 days, 5 days, and 1 day in advance of your Integrated System password expiration. If you do not change your password at that time, you will be notified when your password actually expires. If you get the “Your password has expired” notice when logging on to the I.S. applications, you will be unable to log on to Discoverer until the day after you change your password.
To avoid this, either change your password as soon as you get the email notification in advance of your password expiration, or you may choose to mark your calendar to proactively change your password once a month. Change it at the end of the day, before 5:30, and the next day both Production and ODS are in sync, and your new password is in effect. If you change it earlier in the day, your old password will continue to work in Discoverer throughout that day.
To proactively change your password in 11i, you will go to the Navigator window menu bar, select the EDIT menu, then Preferences -> Change Password.
Version 11i of the Integrated System will lock out users after 3 failed password attempts. You will need to call the ITC Helpdesk at 924-3731 to have your password reset, but it will not work for Discoverer until the next day. So be careful when logging on to the applications that you use the correct password.
Discoverer will not lock you out unless your system password has expired. It will shutdown, however, after three failed attempts to log on. You will have to reopen Discoverer and try again.
- Purchasing Preferences: Preferences (Tools>Preferences from the PO or Requisition screens) are used to default information into the Purchasing forms. Once the PTAEO information defaults, saving will generate your account. If you need to change any piece of the PTAEO that defaulted from your Preferences, first Save, generate the current account, then change the PTAEO as needed and the new account will be created. If you do not save first you will have to click through a series of error messages and replace the complete PTAEO.
- Invoice Folders: All of the current folders need to be replaced. After go-live, create a new folder and add the REQUESTER field (Folder>Show Field) to the new folder. You can push this field all the way to the right so it does not interfere with the data. If you do not add the REQUESTER field, you will experience folder error messages.
- Vendor Add: Open the Vendor Add form, click View>Find to get the Find screen, and you are presented with an error message that says use View>Query by Example. Just ignore this error message, click OK, and continue with your work.
- Payment Vouchers/Invoices Terminology Change: You will see Validated, Never Validated, etc. in place of Approved. This is in anticipation of eventually being able to route Payment Vouchers/Invoices for approvals. Meanwhile, Validated = Approved.
- Award Budget drilldown: Award Managers have a new drilldown option from the Award Management screen to the Award Budget form. From the menu bar, select Tools, then Award Budgets.
- New concurrent processes submitted for award budgets: Depending on the circumstances, two different concurrent processes may be submitted when submitting and baselining Award Budgets. When the “Submit” button is selected, a concurrent process may be submitted. If you choose to do this, click “OK,” then click the “Find Draft” button to refresh the budget. You will know that the submit process has completed when the budget status changes from “Working” to “Submitted” and the “Baseline” button becomes available. You then select the “Baseline” button, and another concurrent request may be submitted. You can click on the “Find Draft” button to refresh your screen. You will know that it has completed when the budget status changes from “Submitted” to “Working.” Typically, the Submit and Baseline actions only submit concurrent requests when transactions exist against the PTA combination being baselined.
- Budgeting for first time linkages: When a project is funded by an award for the first time, the project goes into workflow to be reviewed and approved by Award Oversight and Central approvers. Users should not create their award budgets until the project status has changed to “Approved.”
- No manual Budgetary Controls: Award Managers no longer need to manually enable Budgetary Controls on an Award/Project combination. The system will automatically do this when the Award Budget is baselined. To verify that budgetary controls have been enabled, drill down from the Award Budget screen – select “Tools” from the menu bar, then "Budgetary Controls."
- Date entry: When you enter "04" as a date, it may populate the field as "0004" rather than "2004." If so, call the Support Center at 3-7550.
- Visa Type moved: To access Visa Type, you must navigate to People>Others>Extra Information.
- Time Information: The time information that was formerly on the Assignment form under the Others button is now a new button named Time Information on the Assignment form. It is also now a date-tracked form.
- Schools and Colleges search feature: A search will now bring up anything with the search value found under both Establishment and Location. For example, %China% will bring up anything with China under Establishment and Location.
- “You have selected a different position” caution box: When adding or changing a position on an assignment, a caution box pops up that says, “You have selected a different position. Where the position has default values, etc., etc.” The Decision Box requires that you select “yes” or “no.” You should always select “yes.”
- Position records are now date-tracked: When accessing records under Position Description, be sure you are date-tracked to the appropriate date for which you wish to view information.
- Qualification form: Each qualification form needs to be saved before additional qualifications can be entered.
- Displaying LOV for position and grade: In order to display the list of values (LOV) for position and grade, you need to put a % sign in the “Find” field at the top before selecting the find button.
- Completing a new hire: In order to complete a new hire, select “Create Employment” in the “Action” field.
- No LOV for a field: Not all fields have a list of values (LOV). If you select LOV in a field and it says “does not contain LOV,” you do not need to enter data in that field.
- Communication delivery method form: The communication delivery method form should only be completed for employees who prefer email. This is found by navigating to People>Others.
- Termination form: A new field called Last Standard Process date has been added and is automatically populated when terminating an employee.