Full-Time Enrollment is Foundation of Legal Status
All F-1 students are required to pursue a full-time course of study unless specifically authorized by the ISO. Full-time status for all students is 12 credit hours per semester. Full time enrollment in summer is 6 credit hours and is required only if summer is the students' first or last semester of enrollment.
Reasons the Reduction of Course Load Can Be Granted
The ISO may authorize a reduction in coursework for the following reasons:
- Medical condition or illness
- Initial difficulty with the English language
- Initial difficulty with reading requirements
- Unfamiliarity with American teaching methods
- Improper course level placement
- Fewer courses are needed to complete course of study in final term
Prior Approval Required
The ISO must approve any drop below full-time prior to a reduction of course load. Do not fall below full time for any reason, and no matter the source of advice, before speaking to the ISO first. This includes leaves of absences or withdrawals. Failure to obtain prior approval from ISO, if qualified, will result in a termination of legal status.
Please Notify Us
- Students studying abroad should contact the ISO before departing on a study abroad program.
- Students who do not plan to return to UVA should contact the ISO before departing.
- Students who plan to take a non-resident leave from UVA must contact the ISO before taking such a leave.
Students engaging in research abroad must contact the ISO before departing.