All F-1 students must pursue a full-time course of study unless otherwise specifically authorized by the ISO. The ISO may authorize a reduction in coursework for the following reasons:
- Medical condition
- Initial difficulty with the English language
- Initial difficulty with reading requirements
- Unfamiliarity with American teaching methods
- Improper course level placement
- Fewer courses are needed to complete full course of study (only possible in final term)
The ISO must approve of any drop below full-time. Full-time status for undergraduates is 12 credit/hours per semester. Full-time status for graduate students is 12 credit/hours per semester; full time in summer required (6 credit hours) if this is the students' first or last semester of enrollment.
Please Notify Us
- Students studying abroad should contact the ISO before departing on a study abroad program.
- Students who do not plan to return to UVA should contact the ISO before departing.
- Students who plan to take a non-resident leave from UVA must contact the ISO before taking such a leave.
Students engaging in research abroad must contact the ISO before departing.