Skip to Content


Important Updates


Advisory on Carrying Immigration Documents While in the U.S.

Foreign National Tax FAQ (NEW)

Volunteering/Unpaid Internships ( U.S. Department of Labor)

Address Changes

Changes to Immigration Status

Visits from Family or Friends

Immigration Presentations and Outside Legal Advice

U.Va. Sponsored Immigration


Advisory on Carrying Immigration Documents While in the U.S.


As the frequency of immigration-related inspections has increased in some areas of the United States, principally border regions, the ISO strongly advises international students, scholars, and their dependents to carry their immigration documents, especially when traveling outside of the Charlottesville area.


The staff of the International Studies Office (ISO) is often asked if foreign nationals should carry their original immigration documents at all times.  For our non-immigrant community, U.S. law* states that the I-94 card should be carried at all times, as this is recognized as a “registration document.” 

When traveling outside of the Charlottesville area, we believe it is particularly important that international students, scholars, and their dependents carry their passport in addition to the I-94.  For most students & scholars the I-94 information is not longer found on an actual card.  The U.S. government has discontinued the issuance of the I-94.  To retrieve e a printable copy of your current immigration status upon admission:  Individuals in F or J status should also carry the I-20 or DS-2019 as proof of current legal status and its duration.  Other non-immigrants should carry the I-797 notice.  Those with any form of approved and valid work authorization should keep the Employment Authorization Card with them as well, as this is also recognized as a “registration document.” Because it is not easy to replace immigration documents if lost or stolen, the utmost care should be exercised when travelling with these legal documents. 

International students, scholars, and their dependents are valued members of the University community. The requirement to carry immigration documents should not be cause for concern. It is not new. Please direct any questions this advisory to the International Studies Office, 434-982-3013,, Minor Hall 223.


*INA ยง 264(e)

Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

From U.S. Department of Labor

Fact Sheet on Unpaid Internships


Volunteering for Public Sector Employers

Address Changes


All F-1 and J-1 students are required to notify the University Registrar of a change of home (permanent) or local (present) mailing address within ten days of such a change. Changes in address may be made using the Student Information System (SIS) Online.  Local address changes are made through updating the "Mailing Address" in SIS. The non-U.S. address is updated through the "SEVIS Foreign Address" field in SIS.  F-1 and J-1 students not compliant with this requirement may be in violation of status. Students also bear the full responsibility for any consequences resulting from official University communications misdirected or not received because of an incorrect address. J-1 scholars should report all local address changes by email to the ISO. All students on F-1 post-completion optional practical training employment authorization or J-1 academic training must email all address changes directly to the ISO. All individuals in F-1 or J-1 status should email the ISO with any changes to their foreign permanent address within ten days of any change.

The USCIS requires that all individuals (except individuals in F and J status reporting through SEVIS) who are not citizens or nationals of the United States report any change of address to the United States Department of Homeland Security within ten days of any move by filing Form AR-11, which may be found at

Changes to Immigration Status


Please report any change to your immigration status immediately to the ISO. Examples of changes that you must report are below:

  • Approval of Form I-539, Application to Change/Extend Nonimmigrant Status.
  • Filing of Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Resident or Adjust Status
  • Approval or denial of Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Resident or Adjust Status
  • Admission to the U.S. as a permanent resident or on Advance Parole.
  • Problems with the status of a parent or spouse of which your status depends such as:
    • Departure from the U.S. of your parent or spouse, or
    • Failure of your parent or spouse to maintain the terms of his or her status.
  • Granting or termination of temporary protected, refugee or asylee status.

Visits from Family or Friends Who Require a B-2 Visa


International students and scholars at UVA often ask the ISO whether there are any steps they might take to assist family members or friends in making a successful application for a B-2 visa at a U.S. consulate abroad. 

Any applicant for a B-2 visa must demonstrate nonimmigrant intent: 10 Points to Remember When Applying for a Nonimmigrant Visa

The International Studies Office does not issue letters of invitation, as your family and friends bear no official relationship to UVA. In fact, the US Consulates have indicated to us that invitation letters are neither required nor in most cases are they helpful at all. The only occasion in which an invitation may help is when your parents or friends would have trouble conveying your purpose in the U.S., due to lack of familiarity with the U.S. university system.  If you believe your assistance would be desired and helpful in the application of your family or friends for a B-2 visa, you may consider drafting a letter addressed to the Consulate formally inviting them to visit you, which states the following:

  • The inclusive dates of your invitation to the U.S.;
  • The purpose of the visit;
  • Your program and level of study, and
  • That you will provide food, lodging, and other necessaries.

The consulate may also find useful a bank statement confirming that you have the funds on hand to support your family or friends while in the U.S.

If the purpose of the visit is to attend your graduation, a letter on departmental stationary from your adviser can accompany your letter of invitation confirming when the graduation ceremony will occur, and that you will be participating.  This type of letter is issued at the department's discretion.  However this letter is also not required as the Consular officers will routinely check your SEVIS record, including the date of expiration of your visa documents, when the purpose of the family visit is to visit a student in the U.S.

Immigration Presentations and Outside Legal Advice


Throughout the year, various organizations at UVA host guest speakers who provide immigration information. Unless explicitly stated at the presentation, the ISO does not sponsor these presentations and is not, in any way, responsible for the information provided by individuals who are not related to the ISO.

The ISO neither encourages nor discourages UVA students from attending these presentations, but all international students at UVA must understand that U.S. immigration law is very complex and often, if not always, immigration presentations at UVA provide an overall summary that is not comprehensive or completely accurate for every situation.

Noting the above, there are many instances where the ISO will encourage a student to seek specific, individualized, immigration advice from an experienced immigration attorney. If you have any questions about information that you receive at an immigration presentation, please visit the ISO.

U.Va. Sponsored Immigration


No one, including any employee of UVA, should act as a representative of the University in relation to an immigration matter without the authorization of the appropriate International Studies Office representative. The unauthorized filing of any immigration-related application or petition on behalf of the University is a serious violation of University procedure, and may have far-reaching negative consequences.

Before signing any document that relates to a foreign national's immigration at UVA, you must confirm that you are not acting as a representative of the University for a UVA-sponsored application or petition

If you have any questions about an immigration document that you are asked to sign, please contact the ISO or Human Resources Compliance and Immigration Services.