Skip to Content

Fulbright Scholars

A special welcome to international scholars whose presence here is made possible by Fulbright funding! Fulbright scholars have J-1 status, but U.Va. is not their J-1 sponsor. A Fulbright scholar's J-1 sponsor is either the U.S. Department of State or an international education organization such as Institute for International Education (IIE) or the Council for the International Exchange of Scholars (CIES).

Because U.Va. is not a Fulbright scholar's J-1 sponsor, the ISO is able to provide only general responses to their questions about J-1 status. In the end, the ISO must ask Fulbright scholars to direct their J-1 status concerns to their J-1 sponsors.

Fulbright scholars must contact their J-1 sponsors on matters such as:

  • Lost or damaged DS-2019
  • Travel signature on DS-2019 in advance of travel outside the U.S.
  • Applying for a new J-1 visa, if necessary
  • Extending J-1 status
  • Transferring J-1 status from the Fulbright sponsor to U.Va.

U.Va. faculty who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and who are interested in the Fulbright program for Americans, should contact Neal Grandy in Arts & Sciences Research Administration at , or tel 434-924-7130. To learn more about the Fulbright program, please visit