Maintenance of J-1 Status
Specific information relating to maintaining lawful F-1 status may be found through the below links:
Broadly, maintenance of status is the responsibility of every J-1 student and scholar. No student or scholar should expect the ISO to monitor expirations or to be independently notified of any changes impacting status. The ISO is obligated to inform the U.S. government through of any changes impacting J-1 status. Students must notify the ISO if they experience any of the following:
- Address changes (ISIS for local address change - email the ISO for foreign permanent address change)
- Change in length of program
- Change in academic training
- Change in dependents
- Any departure from the program or other changes impacting its conditions such as a change in program location or program supervisor.
- Felony convictions
For J-1 students only:
- Change of major
- Degree level change
- Any drops below full-time status (12 credit/hours per spring/fall semester for undergraduates; 9 credit/hours per spring/fall semester for graduates)
- Disciplinary action
Note that the above list is not necessarily comprehensive. Please contact the ISO if there is any question about maintenance of status.