Skip to Content

Prospective J-1 Exchange Students

J-1 exchange students visit UVA as full-time students for a period of usually one or two semesters pursuant to a formal reciprocal exchange agreement between UVA and their home institution.


The following application process is for admission to the School of Architecture (Fall semester only; and excluding the graduate program), College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and School of Engineering and Applied Science. The same process should be used for application for admission to the McIntire School of Commerce, but is only available to qualified students from the University of Auckland, the University of Bath, University of Birmingham, Bocconi University, Hong Kong University of Science & Technology, University of Nottingham, Peking University, Sciences Po ~ Paris, and Singapore Management University.

  • Step 1: Obtain your home institutions permission to apply to UVA as an exchange student under the terms of your home institution’s agreement with UVA.Exchange students must be approved (e.g. “cleared”, “nominated,” etc.) for participation in an exchange program by their home institution.
  • Step 2: Submit the Exchange Student Application (MS Word) to the International Studies Office. Additional information about applying to ISO, including application deadlines, is included in the form.

Please contact the International Student and Scholar Advisor for J-1 status to confirm the application procedures for all other schools.

If admitted, an exchange student will receive an email from UVA to notify him or her of the successful application. In addition, UVA will send an acceptance package to the accepted student's institution abroad. This package should then be forwarded to the student.

Course Selection and Registration

Exchange students coming to UVA under the terms of an ISO-administered exchange program cannot select or register for UVA courses until after they arrive at UVA and have attended ISO's New Student Check In.

All exchange students in ISO-administered programs are admitted to UVA as undergraduates. UVA's Undergraduate Record (“Course Catalog”) is available online at The “Course Catalog” contains all courses offered at any time. The “Course Offering Directory” becomes available midway through the previous semester (about 3 months before spring semester classes begin and about 6 months before fall semester classes begin). Note that UVA cannot guarantee that an exchange student will be able to enroll in any specific course offered.

Students admitted to UVA under a general agreement administered by ISO do not have access to courses at the following UVA schools: School of Continuing and Professional Studies, Curry School of Education, Darden Graduate School of Business Administration, School of Law, McIntire School of Commerce, School of Medicine, and School of Nursing.


Under the terms of UVA’s exchange agreements, UVA tuition and student fees are waived for exchange students. Student fees do not include health insurance. Exchange students must obtain and pay for their own health insurance.

Additionally, the ISO requires that all students provide documentation of the availability of at least $6,000 per semester of attendance at UVA; $12,000 for those student applying to the Darden School. Normally bank statements or letters from sponsors (such as parents) is sufficient documentation of these funds.


For Fall semester, students can submit a housing application by going to the Housing Website at and clicking on "Applications."

For Spring, students should email the Housing Division at, requesting accomodation and listing their preferences for residence (see the Housing Website). This should be done before November 30. In December vacancies will be determined and students will be emailed a housing offer.

For more information on J-1 status and coming to UVA, please visit the ISSP homepage.

Visits from Family or Friends Who Require a B-2 Visa

International students and scholars at UVA often ask the ISO whether there are any steps they might take to assist family members or friends in making a successful application for a B-2 visa at a U.S. consulate abroad.

International students and scholars at UVA often ask the ISO whether there are any steps they might take to assist family members or friends in making a successful application for a B-2 visa at a U.S. consulate abroad.

Any applicant for a B-2 visa must demonstrate nonimmigrant intent: 10 Points to Remember When Applying for a Nonimmigrant Visa

The International Studies Office does not issue letters of invitation, as your family and friends bear no official relationship to UVA. However, if you believe your assistance would be desired and helpful in the application of your family or friends for a B-2 visa, you may consider drafting a letter addressed to your family or friends formally inviting them to visit you, which states the following:

  • The inclusive dates of your invitation to the U.S.
  • The purpose of the visit; and
  • That you will provide food, lodging, and other necessaries.

The consulate may also find useful a bank statement confirming that you have the funds on hand to support your family or friends while in the U.S.

If the purpose of the visit is to attend your graduation, a letter on departmental stationary from your adviser can accompany your letter of invitation confirming when the graduation ceremony will occur, and that you will be participating. This type of letter is issued at the department's discretion.