People/Web Search Calendar Emergency Info A-Z Index UVA Email University of Virginia

"How do I..."

An MSE and EP Student Guide

...mail or ship a package?

Sherri and Kari coordinate departmental purchasing and shipping. MSE uses both FedEx and UPS for shipping. Forms can be found in the mailroom located in WDF 109H. Please write your PTAO number on the your internal billing reference line of the FedEx airbill and the reference number line of the UPS airbill.

If you are charging to a research grant PTAO, you must attach a departmental audit form for express shipping of samples/repair (research grants). Sherri maintains shipping supplies (airbill labels, envelopes, justification forms, etc.) and also pays express shipping bills, so it’s important to turn in both the airbill and audit form with your PTAO number to ensure proper billing.

United States Postal Service mailing address: 
PO Box 400745 
VA 22904-4745

FedEx and UPS shipping address: 
395 McCormick Road
VA 22904-4745

...reserve a room or a projector?


Some of the following rooms and resources may be reserved directly by students or faculty through departmental Google calendars. To reserve one of the conference rooms yourself, simply add the calendar to your Google calendars. Classrooms should be booked by filling out the appropriate web form. The Dean's Conference Room (WDF 200) may only be reserved through Eric Newsome by email*.

Room/Resource Administered by Self book?
WDF 109A conf rm Eric yes
WDF 101 classroom Eric no
WDF 103 lab Eric no
MSE 125 classroom Eric no
MSE 125A conf rm Eric yes
Portable Projector Rusty yes
Loaner Laptop/speaker
USB HD camera/mic
Rusty yes
WDF 200 dean's conf rm* Dean's Office/Eric no


...reserve a parking space?


Parking passes may be reserved through Kim Fitzhugh-Higgins or Eric Newsome. Hang tags for each day (available in the MSE office) must be displayed when parked in the department parking space. Directions for visitors, maps to the parking spaces, and more information are available on the department parking page.

The parking passes should be reserved for program reviewers, visiting scholars and equipment technicians. As parking is limited, make sure to request space as soon as you know you will need it. Do not forget to release the pass if you find it is not needed. A last minute request may not be honored if no parking is available.

...reserve a microscope or get NMCF equipment training?

NMCF Scopes and Resources Administered by Training
Titan Richard 4 sessions
Quanta 200 Richard 1 sessions
Quanta 650 Richard 4 sessions
2000FX Richard 4 sessions
Hirox Digital Scope Richard 1 sessions
Gatan 691 Ion Mill Richard  
Xradia XCT Michal 3 sessions
Bruker Kappa Duo Michal  
XPert Michal 3 sessions
SAXS Michal 3 sessions
Raman AFM Joe/Richard 2 sessions
Zygo NV7300 Richard 1 session
Hitachi IM4000 Richard  


...print a poster


The MSE department maintains a wide format printer (54" max). Ideally, students will provide both PDF and Powerpoint version to their designated print contact. You need your advisor's overhead (not research) PT
PTAEO to charge the cost (approximately $40-50). The poster upload que and tracking info are online. They will be printed in the order received.

Waiting until the last minute is highly discouraged. Please allow for a 24 hour turn around.

Department or Area Designated Print Contact
MSE or EP Rusty or Eric
Nanostar Tonya
Chemical Engineering Ryan T.
Mechanical Engineering Ryan T.


...make a long distance call?


In order to make work and research related long distance calls or to fax to a long distance number, you will need a FAC (forced authorization code). To obtain a calling code, complete an FAC Request Form (Long Distance), print it, sign it, then please return to Jeannie Reese's mailbox in RM109H.

...copy, scan, or fax a document?

The copier-scanner beast resides in the MSE office suite.

SCANNING: You do not need a copy card to make scans. Scans are sent through email, therefore scanned files larger than 10MB may not transmit correctly.

COPYING: Copies fall into two categories, each accounted for separately: education and research. If you are making copies in your role as a teaching assistant, please use the education copy card (see a staff member to locate it). If you are making copies related to research, you will need to use a copy card billed to your research group. In order to obtain a research copy card, fill in the Copy Card Form, print it, sign it, then please return to Jeannie Reese's mailbox in in RM109H.

FAXING: The department fax number is (434) 982-5660. In order to fax to a long distance number, you will need to have a FAC (forced authorization code, see making long distance calls).

... make travel arrangements?

Planning ahead is the key to a low frustration travel. Kari Werres coordinates travel for the MSE department. Please review the travel planning guide before traveling, before purchasing tickets, and before making hotel reservations. After traveling, submit your travel reimbursement request form.

... stay safe in the lab?


The department requires laboratory safety training. Safety modules are available through EHS.

Please review the disaster plans for your building (Wilsdorf Hall, Materials Science Building) as well. Please see Richard or Barry with any general safety concerns.