Chapel, Places to Go

Chapel

For more information about reserving the chapel, including regulations, policies, fees, and weddings, browse the reserve space section of the site.

The University of Virginia Chapel is located at the Corner of University Avenue and McCormick Road. Online Map.

History

In the late 19th century, community members raised funds to establish a non-denominational church on the University Grounds. The Gothic Revival building was designed by Charles Emmet Cassell of Baltimore, the chapel's cornerstone was laid in 1885, and the chapel was dedicated in 1889. The chapel's carillon was a gift of the Seven Society. The University Chapel no longer holds regular religious services, but weddings and memorial services still take place inside.

Chapel Description

  1. The chapel seats 250 people and contains 46 pews.
  2. The dimensions of the interior space are 75 ft x 35 ft.
  3. The chapel is wheelchair accessible through the front and back door.
  4. The Chapel contains 1 wooden kneeler, a Skinner pipe organ (two manuals), a moveable cross, a brass lectern, 4 wooden altar chairs, and a wooden altar table.
  5. It is air conditioned in the summer and heated in the winter.
  6. There is a small foyer inside the front entrance.
  7. There are two small private rooms available, but no changing/dressing areas or restrooms.
  8. The bell tower is located on the right side of the Chapel.

Reservations

For more information about reserving the chapel, including regulations, policies, fees, and weddings, browse the reserve space section of the site.

Please contact the Event Planning Office for the most updated pricing and availability.

Newcomb Event Planning Office
Newcomb Hall, Room 436
Phone: (434) 924-3203

The SOURCE has information on upcoming events scheduled to take place in the chapel.