Please join us for Parent Orientation so you can learn about the student experience at UVA. Most students who attend Summer Orientation bring at least one parent or guest.
- Sign up for UVA Parent Communications Receive e-mails featuring up-to-date news and events, important dates, links of interest to parents and more
- Read the Handbook for Parents
- Review the Office of the Dean of Students website Learn about programs and services, University traditions, student safety, important University policies, etc.
- Remind your student to Prepare for Enrollment Deadlines occur throughout the summer.
- Remind your student to register for Summer Orientation It is your student's responsibility to register parents or guests. There is a two guest limit per student.
- Encourage your student to take the SIS tutorial Students use SIS to register for classes, monitor finances, review academic requirements, etc.
- Remind your student to review the FAQsMany questions are answered there.
- Remind your students to check their University email All Summer Orientation correspondence will be sent to students, so students should actively monitor their Univerisity email accounts for important correspondence and updates
- Make plans to attend Orientation Review our website for more information and come prepared with your questions. Confirm that your son or daughter has registered you to attend.
- Ask your student about course registration Explore course offerings on the Student Information System (SIS). Summer Orientation is just the beginning of the course registration process. Students can add/drop classes starting in August.
- Let us know what you thought about Summer Orientation Take our post-Orientation survey
- Sessions A, B, C, D, G, H
- First-Year Parent Evaluation
- First-Year Student Evaluation
- Sessions E and F
- Session E and F Parents
- Session E Students
- Session F Students
- Session J
- Session J Parents
- Session J Students
- Ask your student about UVA Alerts emergency text messages Students can add a parent's cell phone number as a secondary number to receive alerts.
- Talk about those big issues Discuss academic expectations, time management, financial responsibility, social involvement, safety, and alcohol.
- Plan for Move-in Days and Fall Orientation Move-in Days are August 21 and 22.
- Make Family Weekend Plans Dates for Family Weekend 2015 is October 23 - 25