Special "motorcycle and moped only" parking areas have been designated
throughout Grounds. These areas are located within many Green/Reserved
parking areas. However, since many motorcycles can use the motorcycle
only area, only a Commuter or Storage permit is required within the
motorcycle/moped only areas. Permits must be displayed on the left front fork of the motorcycle.
U.Va faculty, staff, and students (other than first-years) are eligible to purchase a Motorcycle Parking permit to use motorcycle spaces on Grounds (view rates). Permit holders who also own another vehicle may purchase a Second Car Permit for their motorcycle for a nominal fee (view rates).
Motorcycles parked in a regular parking space within
a parking lot (i.e., a space that either a car or motorcycle could
use) are subject to the same permit restrictions as cars.
All mopeds (as defined by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles) are required to have a valid U.Va Moped Parking Permit to park in designated motorcycle and moped parking spaces on grounds. Mopeds are subject to the same policies as motorcycles. Mopeds displaying a Moped Parking permit may also park in BLUE parking areas, such as the commuter lots at University Hall (U-Hall).
U.Va faculty, staff, and students are eligible to purchase a Moped Parking permit to use motorcycle or moped spaces on Grounds (view rates). First-year students may purchase a Moped Parking permit for Moped use only.
As of July 1, 2014 all mopeds operated on Virginia roadways must be titled and registered with the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. Moped drivers must also carry a government-issued Photo ID, wear a helmet, and wear a face shield, safety glasses or goggles (unless the moped has a windshield). Visit www.dmvnow.com for more information.
Moped Parking Guidelines
- A moped is considered a motor vehicle and must have a parking permit to park in BLUE commuter lots or designated moped and/or motorcycle parking spots. Mopeds are subject to the same enforcement regulations as motor vehicles (click here for complete list of citations).
- Like all motor vehicles, mopeds are required to display a valid license plate and VIN number. Vehicles found without plates and/or VIN may be subject to immobilization with a parking boot, towing, and/or referral to the University Police Department and/or Office of the Dean of Students. Tampering, removing or altering a VIN number is a violation of Virginia Code 46.2-1074 and is considered a Class 6 Felony.
- Mopeds are not bicycles. Mopeds may not park at bicycle racks.
- If a moped/motorcycle area or BLUE commuter area is full, mopeds must park in the nearest available designated area. Mopeds may not park outside of designated areas that are full. This can create conflicts with pedestrians and/or other vehicles. Parking in front of or adjacent to building entrances/exits is strictly prohibited. All mopeds found in violation will be cited and/or towed.
- Mopeds must be walked, not ridden, to designated areas that require sidewalk access.
- Moped Towing: In addition to any payable citations issued to a moped, owners of mopeds that are towed will be responsible for towing and storage fees levied by the towing agency (Shulls Wrecker & Repair, 4207 River Road, 434-953-6935). As of September 2016, these fees are $50 for impoundment and a $25 per day storage fee.