Issued: January 15, 1993
UNIVERSITY SERVICES AND ACTIVITIES
This policy and procedure were adopted to ensure that services and activities offered by the University are consistent with the mission of the University and do not compete unfairly with the private sector.
2.0 Policy [Top]
When determining whether University services and activities should be maintained, supported, or established by the University, the following factors will be considered:
- Does the service or activity play a significant role in the fulfillment of the University's educational, research, public service and/or support functions, without regard to profit?
- Does the activity provide an important service at a reasonable cost to the University?
- Will this activity provide a convenience to departments, staff, faculty, students and patients because of location or other considerations?
- Does the activity offer a required service which the private sector cannot conveniently, adequately or economically provide?
- Will the program or activity unnecessarily duplicate services already provided at the University?
Goods and services may be offered to the general public when they provide a convenience and incentive for the general public to use University services or attend University programs or when incidental to the provision of such goods and services to University departments, faculty, staff, students and patients. Such University services and programs should, however, further the University's mission. (Such services and goods could include food, refreshments, mementos, etc., provided in conjunction with approved University programs.)
Services and activities should not be offered to the general public or to the University community solely as a means of creating additional revenue; or because the University can provide the service at a cost savings to its faculty, staff, students, and patients.
Services and activities should be reviewed periodically to ensure conformance with the intent and purpose of this policy.
This policy does not apply to instructional programs currently approved by the Vice President and Provost or sponsored program activities currently reviewed by the Office of Sponsored Programs.
Procedure 15-70, "Approving New or Expanded Services and Activities."
3.0 Definitions [Top]
4.0 References [Top]
5.0 Approvals and Revisions [Top]