Checklist for Unplanned Absence

If you have an emergency, as soon you or your next of kin are able, contact your supervisor and ask them to notify University Human Resources.


File a claim with The Standard at 1-800-378-2395. Anyone to whom you have designated medical power of attorney can initiate a claim on your behalf. If you have not designated power of attorney, a spouse or immediate relative (parent, sibling, child) can initiate a claim on your behalf. The Leave Center of the University’s Benefits Office will contact your supervisor after you file the short term disability claim.


Your department is responsible for coordinating arrangements for covering responsibilities, including teaching and research, after The Standard has made a decision regarding your absence.


If planning to return to work prior to the end of your approved leave time, contact The Standard who will notify your department to make arrangements.