P.O. Box 400226
Charlottesville, VA
Tel: 434-982-2362
Fax: 434-924-1497
See Map

Chapter 5: University Services & Resources

5.1 Libraries

The sixteen libraries at the University of Virginia house over five million volumes, journals, newspapers, videos, sound recordings, and other resources from around the world. VIRGO, the University of Virginia Library's computerized catalog, provides online access to the library's holdings through keyword, author, title, subject, and call number searches.

LIBRA is a digital repository for U.Va. faculty to add their scholarly works so they can be preserved and made accessible worldwide.

5.2 Scholarly Journals

Scholarly journals issued by the University community include the following.

Hedgehog Review, an interdisciplinary journal of critical reflections on contemporary culture, published three times a year by the Institute for Advanced Studies in Culture.

Iris: A Journal About Women, a biannual magazine for progressive young women that brings together contributions from writers, artists, and university scholars from all over the world. http://iris.virginia.edu

Meridian, a semiannual literary journal produced at the University of Virginia in conjunction with the university's M.F.A. Program in Creative Writing. http://readmeridian.org/

Studies in Bibliography, a print and electronic journal that presents a wide range of scholarly articles on bibliography and textual criticism. http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/bsuva/sb

Virginia Journal of International Law, the oldest continuously-published, student-edited law journal in the United States devoted exclusively to public and private international law.

Virginia Law Review, a professional periodical devoted to law-related issues that can be of use to judges, practitioners, teachers, legislators, students, and others interested in the law.  http://virginialawreview.org/index.php

Virginia Quarterly Review, a quarterly publication that includes poetry, fiction, book reviews, essays, photography, and comics from some of the nation's most notable writers, photographers and artists.  http://www.vqronline.org/

5.3 University of Virginia Press

The University of Virginia Press (UVaP) was founded in 1963 to advance the intellectual interests not only of the University of Virginia, but of institutions of higher learning throughout the state. A member of the Association of American University Presses, UVaP currently publishes fifty to sixty new titles annually. New titles are approved by the Board of Directors after a rigorous process of peer review. The UVaP editorial program focuses primarily on the humanities and social sciences with special concentrations in American history, African-American studies, southern studies, literature, ecocriticism, and regional books. While it continuously pursues new titles, UVaP also maintains a backlist of over 1,000 titles in print. The UVaP welcomes inquiries from University faculty. On the Web: http://www.upress.virginia.edu/

5.4 The Arts

The University of Virginia offers a variety of arts activities and events from various centers on-Grounds, including the University Art Museum, the Drama Department, Heritage Repertory Theatre, Old Cabell Hall in the Mclntire Department of Music, and the annual Virginia Festival of American Film. For more information, visit http://www.virginia.edu/arts/

5.5 Scheduling, Registration, and Grading

The Office of the University Registrar (UREG) administers the registration process, provides faculty with class enrollment information, records student grades, and maintains student academic records. This office also publishes the online Undergraduate and Graduate Records, the official description of courses, degree programs, and academic requirements of the various schools. The University registrar is responsible to the executive vice president and provost for maintaining suitable liaison with the school faculties as they establish and modify the educational program by faculty action.

After departments and schools determine what courses are to be taught, UREG assigns classroom space. Courses are catalogued through the Student Information System. UREG is responsible for final scheduling and assignment of unused classrooms: any rescheduling of classrooms requires its approval. An individual faculty member may not change the time or meeting place of a class without approval of the appropriate chair or dean and the University Registrar.

The grades and symbols used to record academic progress are established by the Faculty Senate. Each school, however, determines which individual grades and symbols it will use. Students will be graded according to the grading system of the school in which they are registered, not according to the grading system of the school through which the course is taught. The grading practices of each school are given in the Undergraduate and Graduate Records.

Faculty are responsible for fair grading practices and prompt submission of grades through their departments and schools to the University registrar. No grade may be changed after it is submitted to the University registrar without the approval of the school dean. Only errors of calculation or transcription are authorized justifications for a change of grade.

The graduate professional schools set their own examination schedules, otherwise the examination schedule is set by the University registrar, and except for scheduling makeup exams, faculty are not permitted to alter the time of a scheduled examination.

5.6 UVaCollab

UVaCollab is the online collaboration and learning environment (CLE) at the University. Anyone at UVa may create and use collaboration sites and/or course sites with no roster to facilitate the work of project teams, research groups, committees, etc.

5.7 Safety and Security

The University of Virginia strives to maintain a safe and secure environment for students, faculty, staff, and the general public. The University Police Department is a professional, full-service department providing all of the services normally provided by local municipal police, plus many services unique to an academic institution. The University Police have jurisdiction by statute over University property and adjacent streets and sidewalks. Through an agreement with the Charlottesville Police Department, the University Police Department has concurrent jurisdiction in the community surrounding the University.

The University Police also have responsibility for enforcing University rules and regulations and work cooperatively with local, state, and federal law enforcement officials. Crime prevention materials ranging from information on drugs to brochures on the prevention of sexual assault are available from the University Police Department. Also, crime prevention personnel are available on request to provide seminars and programs on all types of crime prevention and personal safety issues. All criminal and suspicious activities should be reported to the police through the Emergency Operations Center by calling 911 (9-911 through University ROLM telephones).

The University prides itself on being a warm and caring community. Membership in this community means looking out for the safety and well being of our peers. Our goal is to foster an atmosphere of concern for others, so that we can encourage persons who appear to be troubled or distressed to seek help.

If faculty members have concerns about the physical or psychological well-being of a student, it is recommended that they contact either the Office of the Dean of Students or Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS). During hours when CAPS is closed, professional help is available if needed. After 5:00 PM and on weekends, if an emergency should arise that is potentially life threatening, you should contact 911 and appropriate help will be dispatched. If the crisis is non-life threatening but nonetheless requires immediate assistance, you may contact the Student Health after-hours answering service by dialing 972-7004. The CAPS on-call professional will be contacted and he/she will get back to you by phone within a short period of time.

The Office of Emergency Preparedness develops and communicates the University’s key emergency policies, strategies, plans and procedures and works closely with departments and offices to design, train and exercise emergency response plans. The office champions a strong commitment to personal preparedness planning; we educate students, faculty, and staff on mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery strategies. The office assesses the University’s preparedness for natural, epidemic and terrorist emergencies while working collaboratively with representatives from the City of Charlottesville, Albemarle County and other local, regional, state, and federal agencies on emergency planning.
Current emergency information at the University can be accessed on the web at:

The University provides the Faculty and Employee Assistance Program (FEAP), a free, confidential resource for faculty, staff and family members to help address a wide variety of personal and work life issues such as stress, depression, substance abuse, financial issues, grief/loss, anxiety, elder care, legal issues, communication issues, domestic violence, relationship issues, and balancing work and home.

FEAP offers consultation, training, critical incident debriefings, workplace interventions, substance abuse education, and mediation services. Contact FEAP at 434-243-2643 or, for after-hour emergencies, call 1-866-950-0159 to page the on-call counselor.

5.8 Funds for Entertainment of Students

Funds are available for faculty members for hosting advisees and students. The funds are made available through the unrestricted University endowment.

The amount of reimbursement per event, the types of events which qualify for reimbursement, and the number of classes or subgroups of students which may be so entertained are explained in the announcement. The program applies to the regular academic session and not to the summer session.

Reimbursements should be obtained during the semester in which the expenses were incurred and should cover only attendance at University-sponsored plays or music performances and/or entertainment at faculty residences. Faculty at the rank of assistant professor or higher qualify for the reimbursement. Alcohol should not be provided at events attended by persons under the age of 21, therefore, reimbursement requests for purchases of alcohol served at social events for students of undergraduate courses will not be accepted.

Reimbursement forms are available in academic department offices. Upon request, the Office of the Dean of Students also will provide the reimbursement forms.

5.9 Institutional Assessment and Studies

The Office of Institutional Assessment and Studies (IAS) conducts institutional research and supports assessment at the University of Virginia. The office provides the University community with data and analysis needed for decision-makers to maintain and improve institutional effectiveness. IAS staff gather, analyze, interpret, and disseminate data, employing the highest professional standards of accuracy, objectivity, and timeliness.

5.10 Employee Assistance and Wellness Programs

The Faculty and Employee Assistance Program has been providing comprehensive, onsite employee assistance services to employees and their families since its inception in 1991. What began as an EAP for the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia has expanded to include all of U.Va.  plus many of the area’s employers as well. The program's mission is to assist organizations to maximize employee productivity and to help employees identify and resolve personal concerns that may affect job performance. The program offers individualized, confidential assessments based on clinically-sound standards, brief counseling, and appropriate community referrals as necessary. In addition, the program provides consultation to supervisors and managers to assist in addressing employee/team challenges.

University Human Resources also offers the Hoo’s Well@ program. Created in partnership with our health insurance provider, Aetna, this voluntary program is designed to help you get healthy and stay healthy by improving your general fitness and reducing your risk for heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and other debilitating illnesses. Hoo’s Well@ includes programs to help you lose weight, improve your diet and nutrition, quit smoking, manage stress, and enhance your general health.

All Academic Division and Medical Center employees and their spouses currently covered by the UVa Health Plan, are eligible to participate in Hoo’s Well@.

5.11 Teaching Resource Center

Begun with the Provost's support and a Virginia State Council of Higher Education Funds for Excellence grant in 1990, the Teaching Resource Center (TRC) is now a pan-University center for collegial community and committed conversation about teaching at all levels and in all academic disciplines. The TRC offers a number of services and resource materials designed to enhance the teaching abilities and professional development of faculty and teaching assistants at the University of Virginia. The TRC also administers several special programs, recognizing the skills and accomplishments of faculty, and aiding in the development of courses.

5.12 University of Virginia Bookstore

Located on the top floor of the Central Grounds Parking Garage, the University of Virginia Bookstore is a full-service bookstore for textbooks, supplies, general book needs, gifts, and UVA insignia merchandise. Services include photo-processing, searching for out-of-print books, binding of journals, books, and theses, and placing special orders for supply items and books in print. A 10% discount is available to faculty on any book in stock. The bookstore is wholly owned and operated by the University.

Cavalier Computers

A division of the University of Virginia Bookstore, Cavalier Computers offers UVA students, faculty, and staff a wide variety of desktop and laptop computers, computer accessories and software at educationally discounted prices. Customers can also special order computer equipment or software that is not ordinarily stocked. In addition, Cavalier Computers has a service department with fully trained and accredited technicians.

5.13 The Office of Development and Public Affairs

The University development community consists of development professionals and support staff in the Office of Development, in academic units and programs, and in University-related foundations around the Grounds. To ensure University-wide coordination of prospect cultivation and solicitation, the office operates a comprehensive development information system to serve the entire development community. The University Development Office manages the University's overall relations with corporate and foundation organizations; structures approaches to individuals for the solicitation of all planned gifts including major outright gifts, life income gifts, and bequests for the benefit of any area of the University; manages the alumni/development computer network system, which provides all automated support for fund-raising and development activities; and performs a variety of functions which enhance the fund-raising capabilities of the University.

University-Related Foundations

The following University-related foundations were created to enhance the fund-raising capabilities of the University or one or more of the University's schools or departments: Alumni Association, the College Foundation, Curry School of Education Foundation, Darden School Foundation, Virginia Engineering Foundation, Law School Foundation, Mclntire School of Commerce Foundation, Medical Alumni Association & Medical School Foundation, School of Nursing Alumni Association, Virginia Athletics Foundation, White Burkett Miller Center Foundation. The relationship between the various foundations and the University is governed by a set of management principles and guidelines in a manner consistent with the University's purpose, mission, policies, and procedures.

Development Responsibilities

The Office of University Development is the clearing house for all fundraising activities throughout the University. Many alumni and friends, corporations and foundations, and other private charitable organizations have special relationships with the University. Therefore, the Office of University

Development must coordinate with all University-related foundations to track and coordinate fundraising efforts. The Senior Vice President for Development and Public Affairs serves as advisor to the President on the solicitation and acceptance of private funds and provides the President with information on all development programs of the University, including University- related foundations.

The Office of University Development is responsible for maintaining and increasing strong private financial support for the University. The Office is staffed to advise and assist schools, departments, and University-related foundations in the specialized fundraising areas of corporations, foundations, planned giving, and major gifts. Its purpose is to improve the University's success in securing greater private support for priority needs through use of its services. The Senior Vice President for Development and Public Affairs staff also consult with prospective donors and/or their representatives on lifetime or testamentary gift planning.

In addition, the Senior Vice President for Development and Public Affairs reports, at least quarterly, to the Board of Visitors all gifts and bequests from private sources made to the University either directly or through one of the University-related foundations.

5.14 Administrative Services

A large number of activities that support instruction and research are organized under the executive vice president and chief financial officer. Faculty are encouraged to review and adhere by the policies and procedures maintained by these offices.

5.15 Parking and Transportation

The Department of Parking and Transportation enforces the University’s parking regulations, sells parking passes to faculty and staff, monitors parking areas, assesses fines and penalties, and may revoke parking privileges. The first citation in every twelve-month period is a warning with the exception of those issued for handicapped space or fire lane violations. To insure the citation is a warning, call 924-7231.

Parking is difficult on or near the central Grounds of the University. Visitors to the University may use the Central Grounds Parking Garage on Emmet Street, the Ivy Road Parking Garage, the Culbreth Road Garage, or the Medical Center Parking Garage off of Jefferson Park Avenue or metered parking areas, as well as various departmental sponsored areas throughout the Grounds.

Faculty and staff may purchase parking permits of various types for reserved lots and large commuter lots which are serviced by the University Transit Service (UTS), also administered by Parking and Transportation. Obtaining a space in a particular lot depends upon when space becomes available and when the name of the faculty or staff member was placed on the waiting list. UTS provides transportation to all major areas of the University and also serves many off-Grounds residential areas.
In some cases, parking areas may be reserved after the normal hours of 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for cultural events, weddings, and meetings by contacting Parking and Transportation. Such areas are posted during the reserved periods. Areas around Scott Stadium are reserved and no parking is permitted after 1:00 a.m. on any day of a home football game; similar policies apply to certain parking areas in and around the John Paul Jones arena when events are scheduled to take place there.

University of Virginia students, faculty and staff can ride the Charlottesville Area Transit (CAT) for free with a valid U.Va ID. This program, funded by the University of Virginia, makes it easier for the U.Va community to get around Charlottesville and reduce traffic and pollution by not using their own vehicles. Check out the Charlottesville Area Transit website to find the route that best serves your need, and use their Bus Tracking system to get bus arrival predictions just like with the UTS Hoos Where system.

5.16 Printing and Copying Services

University Printing and Copying Services exists to serve the faculty, staff, and students of the University with printing, copying, microfilming, and related services.

The Printing Division can produce almost any printed material, from business cards, stationery, forms, and brochures to full color books and posters. Professional graphic design and desktop publishing services are also available. Orders may be placed through messenger mail using a printing requisition form. Finished orders can be delivered directly to on-Grounds offices.

The Copy Division consists of six copy centers and over one hundred copiers throughout the Grounds. Copying services are available from staffed copy centers on either a cash or departmental charge basis, or on a self-service copier. The division can produce black and white or full-color copies and a wide variety of finished duplicating products, including short-run books, newsletters, and customized textbooks. Microfilming services are also available at the Alderman Library Copy Center. CopyCard departmental charge cards are available for copy machine access with direct departmental billing.

University policy requires observance of all applicable copyright laws, and Printing and Copying Services must adhere to this policy. Although there are many situations that allow copying of copyrighted materials for academic use within the limits of what is known as the Fair Use Doctrine, copying beyond Fair Use limits without written permission from the copyright owner is not permitted.

5.17 University Mail Service

The University of Virginia Mail Services Office provides the University community with the handling, distribution and processing of Messenger and U.S. Mail. University Mail Services also provides useful mail service information and alerts members of the community about changes in mailing rates, requirements and regulations. http://www.virginia.edu/mailservices

5.18 Dining Services

University Dining Services offers several retail locations where faculty and staff may purchase meals. Consult their web site for the different locations around the Grounds. Dining Services also can provide catering for University-sponsored and other events.

5.19 Housing Facilities

The Pavilions on the University's historic Lawn are residences of senior faculty members whose eligibility has been established by the Board of Visitors. The following is the sequence of priority when a vacancy occurs: the vice president and provost, the vice president and chief student affairs officer, the academic deans of the schools in the order in which they were established, and then the faculty, subject to the conditions of the policy of the Board of Visitors. The uses of other buildings in the historic district, such as Montebello, Lower Mews, the Pavilion VII apartments, and Hotel D, are assigned by the Board of Visitors.

Pavilion VIII has both classroom and residential space. The Office of the University Registrar allocates the use of the classrooms. The Pavilion VIII Committee invites the faculty to apply for the residential space, reviews the applications, and makes a recommendation to the provost on the use of the residences; the provost, in turn, makes a recommendation to the Board of Visitors for their action on assignment. The assignment of faculty to Morea and to one of two apartments on the Mews also is managed by the Provost's Office. The three apartments in the Monroe Hill Residential College are assigned by the Monroe Hill Residential Committee. Hereford College has one principal's residence and three other apartments, which are assigned in a similar manner.

Faculty members can apply for University-owned rental housing through the University Housing Office. Tenure-track assistant professors, lecturers, and instructors receive first priority for assignments. Housing in the Piedmont Faculty Housing area is available to non-tenured faculty, research associates, and visiting faculty members. Housing for all other areas (other than residences located in the historic district and others specified above) is available for assignment to faculty and staff.

The Off-Grounds Housing Office provides comprehensive lists of rooms, apartments, and houses to rent, as well as a directory of all local apartment complexes. The lists are updated monthly; the directory is published annually. Faculty members who have properties to rent can list them through this office. A model lease to be used as a rental contract is available.

5.20 Recreational Activities

The Intramural-Recreational Sports Department (IM-REC) has six recreation facilities that contain fitness rooms with cardiovascular and strength training equipment, full-court gymnasiums, racquetball and squash courts, locker rooms, multipurpose rooms, indoor pools, indoor running tracks, showers, and lockers. Outdoor tennis courts and pl

aying fields are also available. IM-REC offers many exciting programs for faculty members and their families. The department also offers competitive intramural sport leagues and tournaments, recreational and fitness classes for adults and youth, a summer day camp for children, and outdoor recreation trips and workshops. An outdoor equipment rental center provides general camping and boating equipment as well as outdoor recreation resource materials. On the Web: http://www.virginia.edu/ims/.

Faculty and staff members who are eligible for University benefits will be able to sponsor one adult (18 years or older) who resides in the same household for a University Recreation membership.  Full-time faculty and classified staff receive a membership discount as part of their benefit package.  Payroll deduction is available.

Facility and program schedules are available on line and at all IM-Rec facilities. Recorded facility schedules and program updates are also available via the Recreational Sports Hotline, 924-PLAY.

The Department of Athletics offers a wide variety of both men's and women's sporting activities for the University community. Admission is charged for access to most contests. A limited number of reduced season-rate tickets are available to the faculty for basketball and football.

5.21 University Identification Cards

Full-time and part-time employees of the University receiving employee benefits may receive a University identification card. There is no fee charged for the initial ID card. Other employees and visitors might be eligible for an ID card for a fee. The University ID Card Office is located in the lower level of Observatory Hill Dining Hall, on the corner of Alderman and McCormick Roads. Meter parking is available in front of the building, on McCormick Road. Office hours are from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Phone 434-924-4508, fax 434-982-5173, or e-mail uvaid@virginia.edu.

ID Cards issued to employees and individuals affiliated with the University of Virginia must be returned to the University ID Card Office upon separation.  ID Cards issued to persons participating in special programs sponsored by the University must be returned to the University ID Card Office upon completion of the program.

Lost, damaged, or stolen ID cards will be replaced at the University ID Card Office and a fee will be charged.  University ID cards will also be replaced because of malfunction, a change of name, or because of expiration at no charge provided that the old card is returned.  Additional information is available on the ID Card Office website.

5.22 Childcare

The University of Virginia Child Development Center was established in 1991 to serve University faculty, staff, and students. The Center also accepts children of hospital employees and University-affiliated foundations and firms.

Conveniently located one block north of University Hall, on 180 Copeley Road, the Center is open from 6:30 a.m. until 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. The phone number is (434) 293-6110.

The University of Virginia Child Development Center is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). The center earned this designation by limiting enrollment, offering an outstanding program, and hiring the finest staff.

The University's Child Development Center, managed by Knowledge Learning Corporation, offers children unique, educational programs designed around their developmental levels and interests. All programs are available full-time and part-time. The Center also offers a summer day camp program for children through age twelve; however there are a very limited number of spaces available.