Click here to see the Icon Glossary.
Recon Key Terms
- Alternate: A function in Recon@UVa that allows a user to share their access with another user. This can facilitate shared work, for example users may work on different tasks in a particular project/award, or one can be responsible for personnel and another for OTPS. Alternates can also be used to cover for a vacation or other temporary access purposes. An alternate has the same access as the original user, including receiving workflow emails. See the help topic "Assigning and Managing Alternates" and the Frequently Asked Questions section "Alternates."
- Comment: A function in Recon@UVa that allows the user to document notes that they would previously have written on the paper reconciliation. See the help topic "Using Comments" and the Frequently Asked Questions section "Comments, Outstanding Issues and Reconciling Items."
- Electronic Signature: Documentation of a user's certification of a step in the workflow. Security of the electronic signature is protected by requiring Netbadge login to the application. Users provide their electronic signature to the reports by using the following system icons:
- Preparers: Green "send forward" arrow
- Examiners: Green "send forward" arrow
- Approvers: Orange and blue "approve" stamp
- Issue: A function in Recon@UVa that allows the user to mark an detailed expenditure line for follow up with an action. See the help topic "Using Issues" and the Frequently Asked Questions section "Comments, Outstanding Issues and Reconciling Items."
- Major Budget Unit (MBU): A group of departments and cost centers having a common organizational relationship, typically that functional unit immediately below a vice president. It may include a large unit such as an entire school (for example, the College of Arts & Sciences) or a single administrative department (for example, the University Budget Office).
- Person of Record: The user identified in the Role table as the primary holder of the role on a project. For sponsored projects these must be the Fiscal Contact as the Preparer and the Principal Investigator as the Approver.
- Recon@UVa: A system that provides an electronic solution for the documentation of reconciliations for all organizational units at the University of Virginia (including all academic schools and departments).
- Reconciliation: This is a basic accounting function of monitoring transactions and matching them to source documentation.
- Reconciling Item: A function in Recon@UVa that allows the user to post financial adjustments to the project/award in order to more accurately reflect the financial standing.See the help topic "Using Reconciling Items" and the Frequently Asked Questions section "Comments, Outstanding Issues and Reconciling Items."
- Role: The designation of a user's function on a particular project.
- Preparer: The personnel responsible for the detailed reconciliation, including maintenance of source documents to verify all transactions are legitimate.
- Examiner: Optional role to assist in the review and approval process. The previous term for this role was "Overseer."
- Approver: The personnel with fiduciary responsibility. Must have the appropriate knowledge and authority.
- Fiscal Officer: Will be notified of accounts that are not reconciled within 60 days and have viewer access to monitor activity.
- Role Maintainer: A temporary function in Recon@UVa for designating the Person of Record for select roles. May also refer to a person who has the security access to update the table. Eventually all roles will be maintained in the Integrated System. Roles maintained in Recon@UVa include:
- Sponsored Projects
- Fiscal Officer
- Non-sponsored Projects
- Fiscal Officer
- Sponsored Projects
Integrated System Key Terms
- Please visit the Integrated System's Glossary for definitions of their key terms.