Destruction of Public Records
Under the Virginia Public Records Act, you must confirm all of the following before destroying public records:
- The record appears on a records retention and disposition schedule approved pursuant to § 42.1-82 and the record's retention period has expired;
- A certificate of records destruction, as designated by the Librarian of Virginia, has been properly completed and approved by the agency's designated records officer; and
- There is no litigation, audit, investigation, request for records pursuant to the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (§ 2.2-3700 et seq.), or renegotiation of the relevant records retention and disposition schedule pending at the expiration of the retention period for the applicable records series.
Agency 209 (UVa Medical Center):Please contact Ben Smith - Records Manager (434-243-6007), UVa Medical Center, Office of Risk Management for assistance with destruction of records.
Agency 207 (UVa Academic Areas):
Follow these steps for approved destruction:
- Review the disposition instructions for the records on the Records Retention and Disposition Schedules
- If you do not have an official hold notice for a litigation, audit, investigation, freedom of information act request, or other official hold, then you may destroy the records. You must clear any holds with the office placing the hold before destroying. You may contact the Records Management Office to confirm any known holds on records at email@example.com or 434-243-9162.
- Complete a Certificate of Records Destruction (RM3) and submit it to the Records Management Office.
- Complete the form in Word format and save the document--do not print and scan. Attach the Word document to an email and send to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting review for approval. You will receive a response within two working days with further instructions. Printouts, scans, photocopies, and faxes will not be accepted
- You may not destroy records until you have received an approval to destroy from the University Records Officer. The person handling the destruction will sign on Line 12 of the form after the records are destroyed. If you use UVA Recycling, please have them sign on Line 12 when they pick up the records. After destruction, you must send the form with original signatures to the Records Management Office (P.O. Box 400898). The Records Management Office will submit the final form to the Library of Virginia in accordance with the Virginia Public Records Act. You will receive a scan of the final RM3 form via email for your records.
- The University Records Management Office is the official record keeper for all Certificate of Records Destruction (RM3) forms. All copies in departments and offices are reference/convenience copies and can be destroyed without approval and at will.
Download a blank Certificate of Records Destruction (RM3)
- Certificate of Records Destruction (RM3) - Word Format (Use this version when submitting your RM3.)
- Certificate of Records Destruction (RM3) - PDF