SIS/UREG Users Group
Student Records/Academic Advisement
User Group Meeting
April 21, 2009
- Safari issue has been resolved for SIS Portal users. Browser/operating system recommendations are available from the portal Message Board.
- "Kick out" complaints most often are the result of using the Back button on browser. Kick out sometimes occurs minutes after hitting the Back button, so it is not obvious to the user. Must use navigation within the Student and Faculty Centers.
- Important to remind student and faculty users to scroll to the bottom of the pages both for navigation and information.
- Who can set up graduate student mentors in the SIS when a graduate student selects a mentor?
- This information can be entered as an Advisor Type by staff in the dean’s offices with the Local Admin Schools role.
- Why would an instructor not show up on the list from which to choose an instructor for a class?
- If an instructor has not taught for 3 years, they were considered “inactive” for conversion purposes and would not be available to select.
- How does the instructor selection default work, and can an administrative user change the instructor selection?
- If a student does not select an instructor, it will default to alpha order. An administrative user can change the instructor through Quick Enroll up through the add deadline through the Normal Maintenance action. Instructor names are selectable by clicking the look-up icon for the Ind Study Instructor field on the Other Class Info tab.
- How do graduate students enroll in undergraduate classes?
- Submit a Course Action form.
- What is the best way for a student to swap a discussion or lab without losing his or her spot in the lecture?
- When changing a discussion or lab associated with a lecture for which you are already enrolled, the easiest way to make the change is the “edit” function. When you select the class you want to edit, use the radio buttons to select the new lab or discussion section from the list of available sections.
- How can administrative users view the enrollment in classes?
- SR Enrollment users can see the number enrolled in each section of a course by navigating to Update Sections of a Class.
- A Discoverer/RPT report is being developed to provide this data. Data will be up to 24 hours old, as it was previously with the COD.
- There has been discussion about the possibility of adding the number enrolled to the initial search results in Class Search.
- Administrative users may view the Class Roster (enrolled, dropped, waitlisted) by navigating to Curriculum Management>Class Roster>Class Roster.
- Can students put their names on wait lists during summer orientation for A&S classes? If not, can you put that on the enrollment page?
- Closed CLAS classes for which space is being held for first-year orientation will not offer a wait list until after summer orientation.
- A message about this cannot be included in the Student Center, but it is noted on the Portal Message Board and on the College website. In addition, emails were sent to all students.
- Students on a wait list will automatically be placed in a class as openings occur.
- Can graduate deans look up academic history for students who are not their advisees?
- If they have the administrative user role of SR Viewer Acad History or the self service role of SS Advisor Local Admin, they can look up academic history for students who are not their advisees.
- How can we track academic history for graduate students?
- Right now, some graduate schools are tracking students’ records using degree audit. This requires outlining the requirements. Arts and Sciences uses this for undergraduate students, but not for graduate students. The best approach is to submit to SSP what you want to know, and the team will investigate the best approach to take.
- How can administrative users see an unofficial transcript?
- View Course History. Displays all courses, but not by semester and does not have GPA by semester. Can sort by column. If you select two sort criteria: term, then course – it will show credits by term, but does not offer a GPA by term.
- Can you display a description for a specific topic?
- The course description pulls from the course catalog, but it is the description for the entire course. There is not a field to available to record or display a topic description. If the instructor uses Collab, the topic description can be displayed there.
- Are all cross listed courses supposed to have the same numbers?
- Cross listed is not a term used in the SIS.
- Equivalent”courses are the closest concept in SIS. While new equivalent courses will have the same number going forward, some existing course may have been grandfathered in with different numbers.
- “Combined Sections” are separate functionality that is similar to “meets together” in ISIS. Combined sections meet together in the same room, at the same time, with the same instructor. These classes may or may not be from equivalent courses, and they may be at the same or different levels. Departments/Schools may set capacities for the individual sections and for the combination as a whole.
- Where will summer grading be done?
- Grade sheets through ISIS.
- Can we change the check box under Class Search to be unchecked?
- There have been conflicting requests associated with this checkbox, but the request to have it unchecked has been logged with SSP.