Although Thomas Jefferson's original plan
for the University contemplated graduate instruction, the first
such department in the modern sense was not instituted until 1859-60
by Professor Basil Gildersleeve in the School of Greek. Shortly
after the Civil War, a similar department was announced for the
School of Latin. The degree of Doctor of Philosophy was offered
initially by the University as early as 1880 and was first awarded
in 1885. No formal departmental organization for graduate study
existed, however, until 1904. In that year the Graduate School
was established under regulations corresponding to the requirements
of the Association of American Universities, in which the University
of Virginia was the first southern university to hold membership.
The administrative offices of the Graduate
School of Arts and Sciences are as follows: Admissions Office,
437 Cabell Hall (434-924-7184); Enrolled Student Office, 438 Cabell
Hall (434-924-7183); and Dean's Office, 419 Cabell Hall (434-924-3389).
The mailing address is University of Virginia, P.O. Box 400775,
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4775.