The University of Virginia Graduate
School of Business Administration owes its existence to the energy and interest
of a group of bankers and business people from Virginia and neighboring states,
who formed a Sponsoring Committee to assist in the organization of a graduate
school of business administration.
1954, the Sponsoring Committee had established an endowment, and the General Assembly
of the Commonwealth of Virginia appropriated additional funds. Meanwhile, a faculty
committee of the University recommended that the school be established, and on
March 19, 1954, the University Senate voted a like recommendation. On April 9,
the Board of Visitors adopted the following resolution:
by the Board of Visitors of the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia
that a graduate School of Business Administration be and it is hereby created
as a separate School of the University."
Since 1955, the school has grown in size, in
the scope of its curriculum, and in the geographical diversity of its influence.
As the reputation of the school continues to broaden, it maintains a balance in
its commitment to Virginia and the South, as well as to the national and international
July 1, 1974, it became The Colgate Darden Graduate School of Business Administration
of the University of Virginia. Colgate Whitehead Darden, Jr., preeminent statesperson
and educator from the State of Virginia, was Governor of Virginia from 1942 through
1946 and served as President of the University of Virginia from 1947 until 1959.
Mr. Darden was one of the prime
forces in the creation of a graduate business school at the University of Virginia
and remained an active supporter of the school through its development.
The school is proud to bear the
name of this remarkable man.