Registrar Home
Tuition and Fees

University tuition and fees, listed below, consist of tuition and required fees, as well as a student activities fee. Students enrolled for three or fewer regular credits, or research credits only, are assessed partial required fees and student activities fees. Students paying only the partial required fees do not receive student access to athletic events. The student activities fee subsidizes activities approved by the Student Council, such as publications, club sports, and service organizations. In addition, students enrolled in the Graduate Schools of Arts and Sciences, Architecture, Business, Education, Engineering, Law, and Nursing are required to pay special school fees. Tuition is based on the student’s residency classification (i.e., either Virginia or out-of-state). University tuition and fees are subject to change.

Fixed Charge Schools

University students enrolled in fixed charge graduate schools are assessed tuition and fees based on their residency status and school of enrollment.

Tuition, Required Fees, and Activities Fees
Academic Year (2 semesters)

Virginia Students
Graduate Business (M.B.A.) 1st year $25,737 2nd year 24,237
Graduate Commerce (MS in M.I.S.) 29,975 (MS in Accounting) 24,105
Law (J.D.) 1st year 20,554 2nd year 19,354 3rd year 18,154
Medicine (M.D.) 1st year 18,140 2nd and 3rd year 16,640 4th year 15,640 Medical Research 862
Activities fee 39

Out-of-State Students
Graduate Business (M.B.A.) 1st year $30,737 2nd year 29,237
Graduate Commerce (MS in M.I.S.) 34,975
(MS in Accounting) 29,105
Law (J.D.) 1st year 26,894 2nd year 26,894 3rd year 24,894
Medicine (M.D.) 30,422 Medical Research 862
Activities fee 39

School Fee
Graduate Business (M.B.A.) $55
Law (J.D.) 34
Medicine (M.D.) 106

Variable Charge Schools

University students enrolled in variable charge graduate schools are assessed tuition and fees based on their residency status, school of enrollment, and enrollment credits. For tuition and fee assessment purposes, enrollment credits are classified as either regular credit, non-topical research, or audit.
Students enrolled for regular credits, or regular credits plus non-topical research and/or audit credits, are assessed tuition and fees based only on the number of regular credits.
Students enrolled for non-topical credits, or non-topical research credits plus audit hours, are assessed tuition and fees under the classification of “research.”
For information on course classification and academic requirements, contact the appropriate school.

Tuition, Required Fees, and Activities Fee
Academic Year (2 Semesters)

Virginia Students
All schools except Engineering, Law and the Graduate Commerce MIS Program
9 or more credits $5,623
4-8 credits 4,161
1-3 credits 2,175
Research 1,732
Activities fee (4 or more credits) 39
Activities fee (3 or fewer credits) 12

 Law (L.L.M., S.J.D.)
9 or more credits $18,154
4-8 credits 12,514
1-3 credits 6,351
Research 3,273
Activities fee (4 or more credits) 39
     Activities fee (3 or fewer credits) 12 Engineering
9 or more credits $5,623
4-8 credits 5,235
1-3 credits 4,211
Research 3,711
Activities fee (4 or more credits) 39
Activities fee (3 or fewer credits) 12
All schools except Engineering, Law, Graduate Commerce MIS, and Accounting Programs
9 or more credits $18,712
4-8 credits 12,887
1-3 credits 6,538
Research 1,732
Activities fee (4 or more credits) 39
Activities fee (3 or fewer credits) 12

 Law (L.L.M., S.J.D.)
9 or more credits $26,894
4-8 credits 18,342
1-3 credits 9,265
Research 3,273
Activities fee (4 or more credits) 39
Activities fee (3 or fewer credits) 12
9 or more credits $18,712
4-8 credits 12,887
1-3 credits 6,538
Research 3,711
Activities fee (4 or more credits) 39
Activities fee (3 or fewer credits) 12
School Fee
Academic Year (2 Semesters)
Students enrolled in the schools listed below are required to pay a fee in addition to tuition, required fees, and the activities fee.

Graduate Architecture $46
Graduate Arts and Sciences 10
Graduate Business (Doctoral Program) 55
Graduate Commerce 10
Graduate Education 10
Graduate Engineering 10
Law 34
Graduate Nursing 55

Waiver of Tuition and/or Fees  The following qualified individuals may request a waiver of a portion or all of the tuition and fees associated with attendance at the University of Virginia. This waiver must be requested each semester from the Student Accounts section of Student Financial Services. Individuals who waive their fees relinquish entitlement to use the facility or activity that the fees support, and their student identification cards are deactivated accordingly.

Employee Waiver Program  University of Virginia full-time salaried faculty (9- or 12-month), ROTC faculty, full-time staff, and health care professionals who have been employed for one year or more may request the waiver of tuition and fees for enrollment in one course per semester. The waiver must be requested prior to the end of the registration period for that semester.
This waiver policy (760.800) is not applicable to non-credit or audited courses, non-topical research credits, books, or study material costs.
The course for which the waiver is obtained must be completed with a passing grade or better. Otherwise, the University must be reimbursed for the waived charges within 30 days of the issuance of grades. Students must pay all charges incurred if they withdraw from a course.

Fee Waiver  Full-time faculty and staff of the University of Virginia and the UVa Health System may also waive all required fees associated with attendance at the University in accordance with the University’s Tuition Waiver Policy.

Faculty Spouse  The spouse of a full-time University faculty member may elect to waive the athletics and/or student health components of the required fees.

Combined Degree Programs Tuition and Fees

J.D.-M.B.A. Program
  During enrollment in this program, the student is treated as a regularly matriculated student at the school in which he or she is in residence. The student thus pays the School of Law tuition and fees while in residence at the School of Law, and the Darden Graduate School of Business Administration tuition and fees while in residence at Darden.

J.D.-M.A. Program  During enrollment in this program, the student is treated as regularly matriculated at the school in which the student is in residence. The student thus pays the School of Law tuition and fees while in residence at the School of Law, and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences tuition and fees while in residence at that school.


Fall and Spring Semester Registration
 Registration is completed by using ISIS each semester. Instructions for registering are available in the Course Offering Directory and online at www.virginia.edu/registrar. Upon completion of the registration process, an individual is classified as a registered student. Not attending classes does not alter the registration status or the assessment of tuition and fees. Once registered for a semester, a student may terminate registration only through official withdrawal from the University.

Payment and Late Payment  The final date for payment of student account bills for University charges is printed on the bill mailed to the student. The payment due date for the fall semester is August 24, 2002; for the spring semester, it is usually in the first week of January. Failure to receive a bill does not waive the requirement for payment when due. Any student who fails to pay the amount due by the specified payment due date is charged as follows:

Late fee $50
Late fee for TAs, RAs, and Veterans $10

Students are billed for late fees after registration. Payment of tuition and fees by a check that is returned from the bank as non-negotiable will incur a late fee if the repayment is not received by the published deadlines. A $20 service charge will also be assessed. Checks returned for non-sufficient or uncollected funds are immediately redeposited by our bank. Postdated checks should not be submitted; each check is immediately processed for payment regardless of its date.

The University does not accept credit card payments for tuition, fees, or housing and dining charges.

Dropping Courses—Deadline for Financial Credit  For students enrolled in variable charge graduate schools to receive full financial credit for dropped courses, the course must be dropped by the end of the sixth week of the school term and the student must remain enrolled in at least one course at the University. The definition of the sixth school week corresponds to the definition set forth in the withdrawal refund schedule. This drop date is used only for determining financial credit and does not bear any correlation to the dates set forth by the schools for dropping courses without academic penalty.

Installment Payment Plan

In conjunction with a private vendor, the University has developed an installment plan.  For an annual fee of $60, tuition, fees, housing, and dining charges may be paid in monthly installments.  The final date to enroll in the payment plan is July 23, 2002.  For complete details, contact Tuition Management Systems at 800-722-4867 or

Withdrawal from the University

Tuition and Fees
  Students who withdraw from the University are charged a percentage of the tuition and fees based on the school week within which the withdrawal occurs. A school week is defined as the period beginning on Monday and ending on the succeeding Sunday; the first school week of a semester is defined as that week within which the University registration concludes. The effective date of withdrawal is determined by the dean of the school in which the student is enrolled and is recorded on the official withdrawal form that the student must complete as part of the withdrawal process. The schedule for allocation of tuition and fees between amounts charged and amounts credited is listed below. This schedule is subject to change.

School Percent Percent
Week Charged Credited
1 20 80
2 20 80
3 30 70
4 40 60
5 50 50
6 60 40
7 100 00

Any refunds owed to the student as a result of withdrawal will first be offset against any other amounts owed to the University.
Students who receive financial aid and withdraw prior to the completion of 61% of the enrollment period must repay Title IV funds (i.e., PLUS, Perkins, Subsidized, and Unsubsidized Loans; Pell, SEOG, HETAP, and CSAP Grants) to their sources. To determine what percentage of aid the student has earned, and what percentage must be returned, the financial aid office will divide the number of days the student attended by the number of days in the enrollment period. Additional details are available at the Student Financial Services.

Residence Hall Rent  No refund of residence hall rent will be made in the event of withdrawal after the fifth class day of the semester. Upon vacating student housing facilities, the room key must be returned to the student accommodation office. The date the room key is returned to the student accommodation office is the effective termination date of the student housing contract.

Other Fees and Special Charges

Damage to University Property
The student or students responsible are charged at the cost of repair or replacement.

I.D. Replacement Fee  A fee of $15 is charged to replace a lost, stolen, or damaged student I.D. card. Payment must be made at the time of replacement.

Return Check Service Fee The University assesses a $20 service fee for all checks returned by the bank as non-negotiable. Checks are redeposited by the bank before they are returned to the University.

Diploma Fees  Lost or damaged diplomas may be replaced upon payment of a $25 replacement fee plus a mailing fee. Duplicate diplomas are available upon payment of a $50 duplicate fee plus a mailing fee.

Transcript Fee  A fee of $4 is charged for each transcript of a student’s record. Payment must accompany the request.

Late Registration Fee  Students who register within two weeks after the prescribed final registration period are assessed a $25 late fee. Students who register more than two weeks after the prescribed registration period are assessed a $50 fee.

Late Payment Fee  Any student who fails to make payment by the payment due date specified on the bill is assessed a $50 fee.
Non-Resident Fee  Students are charged a fee of $ 75 for each semester they are on an approved leave of absence or each semester they are not enrolled for courses in a resident school but wish to maintain their matriculated status in the school. Students who are not engaged in any course work during the semester in which they expect to graduate must pay the non-resident fee.

Failure to Pay University Financial Obligations

Enrolled students may be suspended from the University for past due obligations. Suspension includes dropping of courses and prevention from course enrollment for future terms. Current students have their debts offset against any credit balances and other proceeds, such as loan checks. Current and former students have a financial hold placed on their academic transcript. Past due obligations are reported to the state for offset against state income tax refunds, state vendor payments, and lottery winnings, and may be reported to credit bureaus, referred to third party collection agencies or the State Attorney General, or litigated. Debtors may be assessed collection costs up to fifty percent of their debt.

General Payment Policies

Payment by Final Registration
  Students are expected to satisfy all outstanding obligations to the University before they are permitted to complete final registration. If outstanding obligations are not satisfied, courses are dropped after the final registration period.

Direct Loans  The University subscribes to the federal government’s Direct Loan Program. Further information on direct loans is available in chapter 3.

University Awarded Loans  Proceeds from University awarded loans (e.g., Perkins, health professions, nursing, or institutional loans) are not distributed by check, but are applied directly to the student’s tuition account. Undergraduates must be registered for at least twelve credits, and graduates for the number of credits specified on the loan application, to be eligible to receive credit from these loan proceeds.

Credit Balances Credit balances resulting from a scholarship, fellowship, or University awarded loan are refunded by U.S. mail to arrive on or about October 1 in the fall and February 1 in the spring, unless direct deposit is in effect.
Credit balances resulting from the installment payment plan are refunded in mid-November for the fall semester and mid-April for the spring semester.
Credit balances resulting from overpayment may first be offset against any other past due amounts owed to the University.
Credit balances of less than $5 are not refunded unless requested. The University offers direct deposit of credit balance refunds to students’ bank accounts. Sign-up forms can be obtained from the payroll office or from the online UVa Forms Directory at uvaforms.virginia.edu/cgi-local/ formsDir.cgi.
Direct deposit of credit balances is optional. If not chosen, checks are still issued; however, creation of checks is a slower process than direct deposit.

Bills Are Mailed as Follows:
Graduate Students: prior to fall registration, bills are mailed to the home address. After registration, bills are mailed to the local address.
Home and Local Addresses  Student Financial Services uses the home and local addresses that are on file with the Office of the University Registrar. It is the student’s responsibility to maintain current addresses with the university registrar. Failure to update addresses on a timely basis may result in misdirected refund checks and bills.
Special Billing Addresses  Students may establish a billing address through Student Financial Services. Once established, this address overrides the university registrar’s addresses for billing purposes. This address may be deleted each each year prior to the mailing of Fall Bills in August.
Taxability of Scholarships and Fellowships  The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax code permits the exclusion of scholarships or fellowships from income up to the amount used for the payment of course-related expenses (i.e., tuition, fees, books, supplies, and equipment). The IRS does not consider the cost of room and board to be course-related. Stipends or living allowances paid as part of a scholarship or fellowship are considered taxable income. The University is required to withhold taxes on such payments only to nonresident alien recipients not claiming treaty benefits. However, all recipients are required to report their scholarships and fellowships to the IRS by filing a yearly tax return and to pay the requisite taxes. These provisions apply to all scholarship and fellowship recipients of domestic source grants, regardless of whether the recipient is an undergraduate, graduate student, citizen, or nonresident alien. Students should retain receipts for tax deductible items. The University cannot provide tax counsel.

Auditing Courses

Students currently enrolled for regular or non-topical research courses are not charged for audited courses. However, individuals not currently enrolled who wish to audit courses at the University must do so through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies and are subject to their rate schedule.

Estimated Personal Expenses

Students should prepare and keep within a budget in order to develop the ability to utilize their resources effectively while living within their means. Instruction in the handling of checks and checking accounts is recommended prior to enrollment.
While the amount of money spent in meeting personal expenses at the University depends largely upon the resources and tastes of the student, the estimates given in Chapter 3 are a helpful guide in the preparation of a budget. These estimates do not include expenses for clothing, travel, memberships in organizations, or recreation and entertainment. A reasonable allowance should be made for these items.
The University requires that all students carry year-round hospitalization insurance. This cost should also be included in a student’s estimate of expenses.

Additional Expenses

School of Engineering and Applied Science
 First-year students in this school have an additional expense of approximately $30 for drawing instruments. An inexpensive hand-held electronic calculator with scientific functions (priced about $30 to $100) is also useful.

School of Architecture  Students in this school have an additional expense of approximately $120 for supplies.

School of Nursing  See Chapter 13 for a detailed explanation of personal expenses.

Veterans’ Benefits

The Office of the University Registrar is the University liaison with the Veterans Administration in matters concerning educational benefits available to veterans under the provisions of Chapters 30, 31, 32, 34, 35 and 1606. (War Orphans’ benefits are handled through the scholarships/fellowships office in Student Financial Services, P.O. Box 400204, Charlottesville, VA, 22904-4204: 434-243-8860).

Benefit information and application forms can be found on the VA Website: www.gibill.va.gov/. Inquiries regarding how to start up VA benefits during enrollment at the University and certification procedures should be directed to: Office of the University Registrar, P.O. Box 400203, Charlottesville, VA, 22904-4203: (434) 924-4138 or e-mail: certify@virginia.edu.

Senior Citizens

In compliance with the Senior Citizens Higher Education Act, the University waives tuition and required fees for courses on a space-available basis. To be eligible, a person must be at least 60 years old, have been legally domiciled in Virginia at least one year before the semester begins, and must gain admission to the University.
To qualify as a full-time or part-time student for credit, the senior citizen’s taxable income (for federal income tax purposes) the year prior to enrollment must not have exceeded $10,000.
There is no income requirement if the senior citizen wants to audit a course offered for credit or to enroll in a non-credit course. No more than three courses per semester may be taken on this basis, but there is no limit to the number of semesters a senior citizen may be enrolled. Instructors have the option of determining whether students may or may not take their courses on an audit basis. Those who have completed 75 percent of their degree requirements may enroll for courses at the same time as tuition-paying students, rather than waiting until regular registration is completed.

Classification as an In-State Student

Eligibility for in-state educational privileges, including in-state tuition rates, is governed by Section 23-7.4 et. seq. of the
Code of Virginia.
Applicants for admission apply for in-state status by completing the Application for Virginia In-State Educational Privileges, and returning it with the admission application.
Currently enrolled students apply for changes in residency status through the Committee on Virginia Status, P.O. Box 400160, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4203. Applications must be received prior to the first day of class of the semester for which in-state privileges are sought.
Students classified as non-residents in current degree programs should contact the Committee on Virginia Status if they are considering applying for admission to other degree programs.
University Housing

The housing of students has been a prime consideration of the University since its founding. The University has two main goals in providing students with housing accommodations on Grounds. The first is to furnish students with a variety of housing arrangements at a reasonable cost. The second is to provide an environment in which each student may achieve the maximum realization of his or her potential—intellectually, socially, and physically. Attributes such as self-discipline, concern for the rights of others, mental and social maturity, and respect for public and private property are expected to be fostered in group residence situations.
As a part of the University’s orientation and advisory system, all students entering any of the undergraduate schools directly from secondary school are required to live in one of the residence houses during their first year. After the first year in residence a student who wishes to live in University housing must enter the priority selection process. Upperclass housing is available in residence halls and apartments and these spaces are awarded through the room selection process. On-Grounds housing is readily available.

Room Reservations  After the entering undergraduate student has been admitted to the University and has returned the housing application to the accommodations office, space is reserved.
The application serves as the student’s housing agreement with the University. The student will be notified of the room assignment before the beginning of the session.
Room rent is charged by the semester and is due and payable upon receipt of a bill from Student Financial Services. All rental charges are subject to change.
All correspondence regarding University-owned accommodations for single students should be addressed to Accommodations, P.O. Box 400735, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4735: (434) 924-6873; Fax: (434) 924-3758; housing@virginia.edu.
McCormick Road Houses  Each of the ten residence houses on McCormick Road provides accommodations for approximately 140 first-year students in double rooms. Resident staff live in the houses, each of which has its own lounge and recreation room. A mailroom, snack bar, laundry, and outdoor recreation facilities are nearby. All rooms are wired for voice, data, and cable television.

Alderman Road Houses  Two of the thirteen houses are hall style. The other eleven houses on Alderman and Observatory Roads accommodates approximately 120 first-year students in twelve suites; each suite consists of a central lounge, a bath, and five double rooms. A mailroom, dining hall, snack bar, and recreation facilities are nearby. Bedrooms are wired for voice, data, and cable television.

Dillard and Gooch Houses (Stadium Road)  The nine structures comprising this complex accommodate approximately 650 undergraduate and graduate residents in suite arrangements. Student bedrooms are almost exclusively single rooms. Each suite consists of a central living room, microfridge, shared bath area and, in most cases, six single bedrooms. A laundry and postal box room, and two large lounges with kitchens are provided in the complex. Bedrooms are wired for voice, data, and cable television.

Lambeth Field Apartments  Located north of Central Grounds, this complex contains 102 two-bedroom apartments and seventy-two three-bedroom apartments. Each two-bedroom apartment houses four students, with double occupancy in each bedroom. Each three-bedroom apartment accommodates six students, with double occupancy in each bedroom. All apartments are furnished, and a convenience store is operated by the University within the complex. A laundry room and postal boxes are available. Bedrooms are wired for voice and data connection, and  common rooms are wired for cable television.

Copeley III & IV  Located on the North Grounds, these complexes contain 74 two-bedroom apartments. The apartments accommodate four students, with double occupancy in each bedroom. Each apartment is furnished with a sofa, chairs, a dining table and chairs, refrigerator, stove, single beds, wardrobes (each with a built-in chest), desks, and chairs. Laundry rooms and postal boxes are also available. Bedrooms are wired for voice and data connection, and common rooms are wired for cable television.

The Lawn  Rooms on the East and West Lawn are part of the original Jeffersonian Academical Village. Undergraduate degree applicants in their final year are eligible to apply for these accommodations. A student selection committee determines who lives on the Lawn based on each student’s scholastic and extracurricular standing. All rooms are single, and each bedroom is wired for voice, data, and cable television.

583 Brandon Avenue Apartments (Bice House)  This complex consists of thirty-nine furnished two-bedroom apartments and twenty-four furnished three-bedroom apartments. Each two-bedroom apartment accommodates four students and each three-bedroom apartment accommodates six students, providing space for a total of 300 students. Each bedroom is wired for voice and data connection, and each living room is wired for cable television.

Hench, Younger, and Mitchell Houses (Faulkner)  This complex houses approximately 150 students. These accommodations are four-person furnished apartments comprised of a living room, a kitchen, four single bedrooms (one large and three regular), and a bath area. Laundry facilities, postal boxes, and a computer lab are also available. Bedrooms are wired for voice and data connection, and living rooms are wired for cable television.
University Gardens  This eight-building apartment complex north of Central Grounds on Emmet Street (U.S. Route 29) contains forty-one one-bedroom apartments and twenty-eight two-bedroom apartments. Furnished and unfurnished apartments are available.

Copeley Hill Apartments  These accommodations of masonry construction, located northwest of Central Grounds, consist of 112 one-bedroom apartments, 112 two-bedroom apartments, and thirty three-bedroom apartments. Furnished and unfurnished apartments are available.

The Family Housing Association  The association is governed by a council elected by residents from the various neighborhoods of the family housing communities. The FHA coordinates programmatic functions for the residents and serves as residents’ liaison with the Housing Division and other agencies.
Requests for information regarding student family housing should be addressed to Family Housing, P.O. Box 400735, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4735; (434) 924-7030; Fax: (434) 924-3758; housing@virginia.edu.
Brown College, Hereford College, and the International Residential College  Brown College contains eleven houses comprised of air-conditioned suites occupied by two students who share bath areas with members of the adjoining suites. There are 288 spaces assigned in 144 suites. Hereford College residential spaces are a combination of single and double air-conditioned rooms equipped with a microwave/ refrigerator/ freezer combination, and have central baths on each floor. Two lounges are located on each floor (one equipped with a microwave).

International Residential College
This College is dedicated to intellectual exchange and learning among students and scholars of all nations, races and cultures.  The college includes the Munford, Gwathmey, Lewis and Hoxton houses and can accommodate 320 students.

Mary Munford and Roberta Gwathmey Houses  Housing upperclass undergraduates, these two facilities contain eighty-one double rooms and fifty-eight single rooms, with kitchens and lounges on each floor and laundry facilities in each building. A computer room is located in Mary Munford. Bedrooms are wired for voice, data, and cable television.

Hoxton (Mosaic House) and Lewis Houses (Sprigg Lane)  Located adjacent to the Mary Munford and Roberta Gwathmey Houses, these houses accommodate 100 students in a variety of settings. Suites, double rooms, and single rooms are available. Lounge facilities, kitchenettes, laundry rooms, and postal boxes are provided, and residents have access to the computer room at Mary Munford. Each student bedroom is wired for voice, data, and cable television. Hoxton is home to the Mosaic House, a cross-cultural, living and learning experience. Interested students complete an application and are selected by a student committee for residence.
There is a separate application process to live and participate in the residential college program. The application period typically begins in late fall for participation the following academic year. For details, contact Accommodations, P.O. Box 400735, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4735; (434) 924-6873; Fax: (434) 924-3758; Brown College online:www. virginia.edu/~monroe/; Hereford College online: www.virginia.edu/ ~hereford.
The language houses at the University are designed to provide an opportunity for intensive language learning and cultural experience. Students are required to speak the foreign language at all times in the common areas; at least one native speaking graduate student typically lives with each language group. Students do not have to be language majors, but they must have an intermediate knowledge of the language to qualify for admission to the houses.

Russian  Located at 102 Cresap Road, the Russian House is home to six students and a faculty advisor. Double and single rooms are available. Common areas include a living room, a dining room, and community kitchen. Visit the Russian House online at www.virginia.edu/~slavic.
La Maison Française  Located at 1404 Jefferson Park Avenue. Some 28 undergraduate students live together with several graduate students (one visiting from France) in either triple, double, or single room accommodations. Common areas include a dining room, a parlor, a library, and a seminar room. Visit La Maison Française online atwww.virginia.edu/~french/maison/maison.html.

Max Kade German House  Located at 581 Brandon Avenue, the German House typically houses 11 undergraduate students and one house manager in double and single rooms. Common areas include a living room, dining room, and community kitchen. Visit the German House online at www.virginia. edu/~german.

La Casa Bolívar  Located at 1408 Jefferson Park Avenue, the Spanish House accommodates 24 students in 8 single and 8 double rooms, including a fully accessible (ADA compliant) room on the ground floor. Common areas include a kitchen, a dining room, a living room, and two sitting areas. Visit La Casa Bolívar online at www.virginia.edu/~spitpo/house.html.

Monroe Lane Language House  Located on the corner of Jefferson Park Avenue and Monroe Lane and opening in the Fall of 2002, the Monroe Lane Language House, will house 76 students in seven residential blocks comprised of both double and single occupancy rooms. These blocks or “pods” include one each for Arabic, Chinese, Hebrew, Hindi-Urdu, Italian, Japanese, or Persian. The House is ADA accessible and includes full laundry facilities, central heating and air conditioning, high-speed Ethernet connections in each student room, and spacious common areas. Food will be provided by ARAMARK and through one of the University’s meal plans. Applications are available on line at http://www.virginia.edu/~amelc/languagehouse_application. html.

All language house rooms are wired for voice and data. Application and assignment to the language houses are coordinated through departmental contacts at the French department (924-7158), the German department (924-3530), the Slavic department (924-3548), and the Spanish department (924-7159). For additional information, contact Accommodations: (434) 924-6873; Fax: (434) 924-3758; housing@virginia.edu.

Privately Owned Accommodations

Students wishing to obtain housing  off Grounds should consult the local apartment locator services:
www.brac.com or www.offgrounds.com.

Housing Regulations

All students entering any of the undergraduate schools directly from secondary school are required to live in one of the residence houses during their first two regular semesters at the University. Upon request, the Director of Accommodations may authorize exceptions to this residence requirement in cases involving students who will live at home with their families. Married or single parent students who will establish their homes at the University should also request exemption.
Upperclass and graduate students may live in University accommodations on Grounds, in fraternity or sorority houses, or in privately owned accommodations.
All rooms in University facilities are rented subject to the University Housing Terms and Conditions of Residence. This includes billing students for facility damages. When specific responsibility for damage cannot be determined, all costs are divided equally among the residents of that unit.
Students are strongly encouraged to obtain personal property insurance as the University is not responsible for damage to residents’ property.
The following University housing rental charges are for the 2002-2003 session and  are subject to change. For current rate information, contact (434) 924-6873.

Rental Rates

Nine Month Session
Single Students Per Occupant
McCormick Road Houses
Single Room $2,430
Double Room $2,320
Small Double Room $2,120

Alderman Road/Observatory Hill Houses
Double Room $2,420

The Lawn
Regular Single Room $2,860
Small Single Room $2,860
Small Single (no fireplace) $2,780

Mary Munford & Roberta Gwathmey
Single Room $2,860
Double Room $2,420
Stadium Road Houses/Gooch/Dillard
Single Room $3,040 Double Room $2,740

Faulkner Apartment Complex-Hench,
Mitchell, Younger
Single Room $3,090
Large Single Room $3,740

Sprigg Lane Houses-Lewis, Hoxton (Mosaic)
Single Room $3,040
Single Room (Private Bath) $3,190
Double Room $2,740

Bice House
Two-Bedroom $2,770
Three-Bedroom $2,670

Lambeth Field
Two-Bedroom $2,770
Three-Bedroom $2,670

Copeley III, IV (Two Bedroom) $2,770

Brown College at Monroe Hill (Residential)
Double Room $3,000

Hereford College
Single Room $3,000
Double Room $2,740

La Maison Française (French House)
Single Room $3,100
Double Room $2,740
Triple Room $2,600

Max Kade (German House)
Single Room or Double Room $2,780

La Casa Bolívar (Spanish House)
Single Room $3,100
Double Room $2,780

Russian House
Single Room $3,030
Double Room $2,650

Monthly Rent: Family Housing
(Including utilities except telephone.) Rates are effective July 1, 2002.

Copeley Hill
One Bedroom
Furnished $573
Unfurnished $542
Two Bedroom
Furnished $630
Unfurnished $600
Three Bedroom
Furnished $682
Unfurnished $652

University Gardens
One Bedroom
Furnished $556
Unfurnished $526
Two Bedroom
Furnished $600
Unfurnished $570
Dining Services and Facilities

Dining Services provides students numerous opportunities for meals and snacks from dining rooms, food courts, snack bars, convenience stores, and carts around Grounds. The dining rooms serve three meals on weekdays, as well as brunch and dinner on weekends, while the a la carte locations are open from early morning until late at night to offer a wide variety of dining options. Dining Services facilities are accessible to students with disabilities.
The University student identification card is the student’s entry into the dining rooms. It allows students to use the meals and Plus Dollars in their meal plans, and tells them the current balances. If the card is lost or stolen, the card office must be notified immediately at 924-4508 to deactivate the card. A separate card is issued to students in the School of Continuing and Professional Studies.
Information about Dining Services is mailed to students in early summer, after having received notification of admission to the University. If additional information is needed, please contact Dining Services, P.O. Box 400312, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4312, Attn: Board Plan Coordinator; (434) 982-5140; Fax: (434) 982-4995; dining@virginia.edu.

Meal Program Options

Please note
that the following descriptions of the meal programs do not include all relevant terms and conditions of the contract. Please refer to the dining services brochure and the Annual Meal Plan Contract for complete details regarding meal programs, as well as nutrition counseling, non-meat menus, Meals to Go, and other options.
Believing that a well-balanced diet is essential for good health, the University requires that all first-year undergraduate students participate in either the Unlimited, the Plus 15, or the Plus 13 meal program during the first semester. Second-semester first-year students may also participate in the Plus 10 plan with $390 Plus Dollars.

The Unlimited Plan provides complete access to the dining rooms for meals or snacks during regular hours of operation. There are no limits to the number of meals that may be eaten during the day or week. This program permits the student to fit his or her meals into the most demanding schedule.
The Plus 15, Plus 13, Plus 10, and Upper-class 10 meal programs allow the student any 15, 13, or 10 of the available meals during the week.

The Semester Plans are available to upperclass students, provide either 100, 80, or 50 meals per semester, and are especially convenient for students who live off Grounds or who eat some meals in their residence.

Meal Plan Options

Meal Plus $ Guest Cost/
Plan Meals Sem.

Unlimited $75 5/sem. $1390
Plus 15 $200 5/sem. $1390
Plus 13 $250 5/sem. $1390
Plus 10(1) $390 5/sem. $1390
Upperclass 10(2) $175 5/sem. $1175

(1)Available to first-year students during the second semester only.

(2)Not available to first-year students.

Additional Upperclass Meal Plans

Meal Plus $ Guest Cost/
Plan Meals Sem.

Semester 100 $175 unlimited $790
Semester 80 $175 unlimited $685
Semester 50 $195 unlimited $520

Residential Colleges and Language Houses

Students enrolled in either the Hereford, Brown, or International residential colleges, or the French or Spanish language houses must choose a residential meal program from the list that follows. These programs include banquets and special events which are part of the residential college experience. First-year students must select either the Unlimited, Plus 15 or Plus 13
meal program.

Meal Plus $ Guest Cost/
Plan Meals Sem.

Unlimited $75 5/sem. $1445
Plus 15 $200 5/sem. $1445
Plus 13 $250 5/sem. $1445
Plus 10 $390 5/sem. $1445
Upperclass 10 $175 5/sem. $1230
Semester 100 $175 unlimited $845
Semester 80 $175 unlimited $740
Semester 50 $195 unlimited $575*

Required Meals
Brown College  requires that all residents eat Sunday brunch and dinner, and dinners Monday through Thursday in the designated residential dining facility. Friday lunch may also be used as a Brown College residential meal at Newcomb Hall.

*Residential 50 is available only to Hereford students

Hereford College  requires that all residents eat at Runk Dining for Sunday brunch or dinner and two additional dinners between Monday and Thursday evening.

Language Houses  The French and Spanish language houses require that all residents participate in a Language House Meal Program. Students are required to eat dinner Monday through Thursday at their respective language house.

Plus Dollars

Students enrolled in a University meal program may increase the flexibility of their meal plan by purchasing additional Plus Dollars. All charges will be billed by the bursar’s office, and funds are available at the time of sign-up. Plus Dollars may be used for food purchases only, and are available exclusively to students on a meal plan.

Meal Plan Changes

Meal programs are purchased for the academic year and are priced to take into consideration that some meals will be missed. For this reason, refunds will not be made for missed meals. Students may exercise a “semester option” by January 20 2003, which permits a change or cancellation of the meal program for the second semester. Semester options to cancel may not be exercised by Residential College students, or first year students.
Students may revise their meal plan choice twice during the year. All changes must be made by letter or by filling out an Intent to Change Form at the Dining Services Administrative Office.
Changes for fall semester must be requested by September 2, 2002.
Spring change requests must be made by January 20, 2003. Spring semester changes are accepted between December 1, 2002 through the January 20 deadline. They are not reflected on the bursar’s bill until after final registration in January.
There is no fee for changing meal plans; however a $50 administrative fee is applied to all cancellations except for December graduation and Study Abroad students.

Meal plan contracts are annual contracts.

Top | Graduate Record Index | Undergraduate Record | UREG Home | COD | ISIS | Ask the Registrar