Academic Regulations
Non-Academic Regulations
Registrar Home
Students at the University of Virginia are subject to the University’s academic, financial, and non-academic rules and regulations. In addition, students are subject to the academic policies of the school in which they are enrolled. The information contained herein and any other information conveyed to students is subject to change at any time by the authorities responsible for making these rules and regulations.
The University reserves the right to suspend, enforce the withdrawal of, or expel a student who violates the University’s Standards of Conduct or whose academic standing is, in its judgment, unsatisfactory. In addition, the University will automatically enforce the dismissal of a student certified by the Honor Committee to be guilty of a breach of the Honor System, and, where applicable, will consider revocation of a degree already conferred.
Academic Grievance Procedure

Students who have a grievance relating to a faculty member, department chair, or dean are invited to discuss their academic grievance in the following manner:

1. concerns related to a faculty member that cannot be resolved between the two parties should be discussed with the department chair on a person-to-person basis;
2. if the concern is related to the department chair (in schools with departments), the grievance should be filed with the dean of the school;
3. if the concern is related to the dean of the school, the grievance should be filed with the Vice President and Provost;
4. if the level of concern relates to the Vice President and Provost, appropriate written documentation should be presented to the President of the University.

Academic Probation, Warning, and Suspension

  Students may be placed on academic probation or academic warning for failure to make satisfactory progress toward a degree. Failure to make satisfactory progress can mean the failure to either meet a certain grade point average in a given semester or to maintain a cumulative grade point average at a specified level. Failure to make satisfactory progress may also mean failure to earn enough academic credits in a given semester or to earn a specified number of credits at the end of each academic year, (e.g., by the end of the student’s first year, second year, etc.). Probation is in the nature of a warning that if credit or grade point deficiencies are not rectified within a specified period of time, the student is subject to academic suspension from the University. Students placed on academic probation have the notation “Academic Probation” placed on their permanent academic records following the term in which the probation action occurred.
The schools of the University have different definitions of what constitutes satisfactory academic progress. Students should consult their school’s chapter in this catalog to determine the definition and possible sanctions appropriate to their school.

Suspension  Students who have been on probation or warning and who continue to make less than satisfactory progress toward their degrees will be suspended from the University. In most schools, a suspended student may apply for readmission to the University after one calendar year. Applications for readmission must be made in writing to the student’s dean. Students who are readmitted after being suspended are considered to be on probation and must meet specified academic objectives. Failure to meet those objectives will result in a second academic suspension. A second academic suspension is considered final.

Accommodations for Students with Disabilities

It is the individual’s responsibility to inform the University of the need for academic accommodation due to a qualifying disability. Requests for accommodations should be supported by appropriate documentation and sent for review at the
Learning Needs and Evaluation Center (LNEC). Requests for reasonable variation in degree requirements to accommodate a disability should also be submitted to the LNEC, in writing, and will be subject to review by the student’s dean. If the student’s disability precludes attainment of licensure or certification in the desired degree program that information will need to be noted in replying to the request. All accommodation requests should be submitted in a timely manner.
Clinical staff at the LNEC will review documentation to determine eligibility and assist the student in implementing appropriate accommodations in the classroom. Students receiving such accommodations are encouraged to inform their instructors of that fact at the beginning of each semester. LNEC personnel are available to counsel students in preparing their requests and to assist in obtaining other necessary support services. Deaf and hard of hearing students may dial (434) 243-5189 for telephone accessibility. Any questions should be referred to the student’s dean’s office or the Director of the LNEC (434) 243-5181 / (434) 243-5188 (FAX) or (434) 243-5189 (TTY). The LNEC is located at the Elson Student Health Center, 400 Brandon Avenue, P.O. Box 800760, Charlottesville, VA 22908.

Attendance in Classes

Faculty members have the right to establish attendance and participation requirements in each of their courses. Course requirements (e.g., examinations, oral presentations, laboratory experiments, participation in discussion) are in no sense waived due to absence from class. Instructors may establish penalties when excessive absences would seriously hinder achievement in any course.

Auditing Courses

Students may audit courses with the permission of the instructor. Courses taken on an audit basis have the symbol AU (audit) recorded in the grade column of the academic record. As no credits or grade points are earned in audited courses, these courses are not applicable toward a degree. Instructors have the option of deciding whether students may or may not take their courses on an audit basis. A grade of W is recorded for any student who discontinues the audit after the drop deadline or who fails to meet the instructor’s standards.

Changes in Schedules (Add/Drop/Withdrawal)

Changes in students’ class schedules are made by using ISIS ( or 434-296-4747). If admission to a course requires instructor permission, a form signed by the instructor must be submitted to either  the dean’s office of the school in which the student is enrolled or, if the student is enrolled in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, to the department offering the course. Students may add and drop courses through the deadlines set by their school as published in the Course Offering Directory.
After the drop deadline has passed, a grade is assigned by the instructor depending upon the policies of the school in which the student is enrolled. An appropriate withdrawal grade appears on the official academic record.
No refunds are given for classes dropped after the mid-point of the semester.
Specific add, drop, and withdrawal policies and dates may vary by school and are detailed in subsequent chapters.

Continuing and Professional Studies Courses

Students enrolled in degree programs must obtain advance approval from their school in order to take courses through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies. With approval, a course taken through continuing and professional studies may be counted toward degree requirements and, for undergraduates, included in the computation of a grade point average. However, if advance approval is not obtained, the continuing and professional studies courses do not apply toward a degree program.
If a continuing and professional studies student subsequently enrolls in a degree program, grades for continuing and professional studies courses taken prior to enrollment in the degree program will be included in the student’s grade point average.

Course Load

Each school has established the minimum and maximum number of credits for which students are normally expected to register. Registration for fewer credits than the minimum or more credits than the maximum requires special permission from the dean’s office.  Course load requirements and permission procedures may vary by school and are detailed in subsequent chapters.

Cross-listed Courses

With appropriate approval, a course may be cross-listed under more than one mnemonic or level, but only one section may be taken for degree credit. Level 500 or higher cross-listed sections are normally reserved for graduate students.

Deceased Student Academic Record Policy

For deceased students, records may be released to members of the family or to other personnel with the approval of the family or representative of the estate.  The request for educational records must be accompanied by a copy of the death certificate or obituary.  Absent written approval from the family or representative of the estate, directory information only will be released.


Students who have completed all degree requirements in both their major and their school, and who have observed the rules and regulations of the University, including the Honor Code, will be recommended to the faculty of their school for a conferral a degree by the University of Virginia, if otherwise in good standing. A list of the degrees conferred by the University and the minimum number of credits required for each degree is included in Part II. To receive a diploma from the University, students must achieve a minimum grade point average of 2.0 in courses required for graduation. Students who graduate in May can receive their diplomas at the commencement exercises held on the Lawn, or they may pay a fee to have the diploma mailed to them. Students who graduate in August or December may either pick up their diploma in the
Office of the University Registrar or pay a fee to have the diploma mailed to them.
Persons receiving diplomas must be registered at the University during the semester in which they receive the degree. Those carrying no courses must register as non-residents and pay the non-resident fee in order to graduate from the University.
Students may earn a degree from only one undergraduate school in a semester. Students who complete the requirements for more than one undergraduate degree program will be awarded a double major. This notation is placed on the transcript but not on the diploma.
Lost or damaged diplomas may be replaced upon written request and payment of $50 plus a mailing fee. An original replacement will be issued. If the original diploma is lost, a notarized statement verifying the loss is required and the replacement diploma will have the word ‘replacement’ inscribed at the bottom.
In cases of legitimate professional reason, a one-time request can be made for a ‘duplicate’ diploma upon payment of $50 plus a mailing fee. A duplicate diploma will have the word ‘copy’ inscribed at the bottom.
Replacement and duplicate diplomas are printed in diploma format in use at the time of the request. When possible, the degree title and signatures of president, dean, and university registrar in use at the time the original diploma was awarded will be used, but the title and/or signatures currently in use will be substituted if necessary.
Diploma replicas will conform to the format and signatures in use at the time of request.
Additional information about replacement and duplicate diplomas can be obtained by contacting the diploma coordinator at the Office of the University Registrar.
The University reserves the right to withhold the diplomas of financially delinquent students or when students have engaged in Standards of Conduct violations at or prior to graduation ceremonies. The University also reserves the right to revoke diplomas previously conferred when the student has not satisfied the rules and regulations of the University.

Final Examinations

Final examinations are given in courses during designated times at the end of each semester. Final examinations may be given only at the times listed in the
Course Offering Directory, issued each semester by the Office of the University Registrar. Faculty members are not authorized to change the announced times of their examinations. Such changes may be authorized only by a faculty member’s dean’s office, and then only for compelling reasons. All students must have the opportunity to take the examination at the time announced in the Course Offering Directory.
Students are not permitted to take a final examination before its regularly scheduled time. When genuinely serious conditions exist, students, with the consent of the course instructor, may be allowed to postpone a final examination until after the regular exam period. When the instructor concurs, the student must submit a postponement request on a form provided by the dean’s office of the school in which the student is registered. Students will then take the examination at the instructor’s convenience, usually within four weeks of the last day of the exam period.
Unexcused absence from a final examination results in an automatic grade of F in the course.

Grading System

Records of academic achievement are maintained by the University in terms of credits, grades, and grade points.

Credit  The unit of credit at the University is the semester hour. Each semester hour represents one class period of a minimum of 50 minutes per week for each week in the semester. Lecture-recitation courses require a minimum of one 50-minute class period each week in the semester for every one hour of credit earned. Laboratories and field work require a minimum of two 50-minute class periods (or the equivalent amount of time) for each week in the semester for every one hour of credit earned.

Grades  Grades and symbols used to record academic progress are listed in the following grading system table. Each school determines its own grading system. Students are graded according to the grading system of the school in which they are registered, not according to the grading system of the school through which the course is taught. Additional regulations apply to courses taught on a credit/no credit basis and are described in the section titled Credit/No Credit Grades.

Grades and Grade Point Averages  Grade points are assigned to all grades and some symbols listed in the following grading system table. Grade point averages are calculated by totaling the number of grade points earned, then dividing that total by the number of credits carried toward the GPA.

Grade Included Credits
Grade Points in GPA Earned
A+(1) (7) 4.000 Y Y
A 4.000 Y Y
A- 3.700 Y Y
B+ 3.300 Y Y
B 3.000 Y Y
B- 2.700 Y Y
C+ 2.300 Y Y
C 2.000 Y Y
C- 1.700 Y Y
D+ 1.300 Y Y
D 1.000 Y Y
D- 0.700 Y Y
F 0.000 Y N

Symbol Definition
CR (2) Credit N Y
NC (2)  No credit N N
W Withdrawal N N
WP (3) (4) Withdraw passing N N
WF (3) (4) Withdraw failing N N
WD Administrative withdrawal N N
S (3) Satisfactory N Y
U (3) Unsatisfactory N N
AU Audit N N
IN Incomplete N N
IV Invalid grade N N
NG (6) No grade N N
NR Non-Resident N N
YR (1) (3) (5) Year-long course N N

(1) Not valid in the School of Nursing.
(2) Commerce School courses (COMM) may not be taken on CR/NC basis.
(3) Not valid in the School of Commerce.
(4) Not valid in the College of Arts and Sciences.
(5) Not valid in the School of Architecture.
(6) In the College of Arts and Sciences, NG is included in the GPA.
(7) In the School of Law, an A+ carries 4.300 grade points.

Incompletes  The symbol IN (incomplete) is used when additional course work is required or examinations need to be taken in order to fulfill the requirements of a given course. Policies governing the use of the incomplete symbol may vary by school and are described in subsequent chapters.

Grade Changes  No grade may be changed after it has been submitted to the university registrar without the approval of the dean. The dean is not authorized by the faculty to change a grade submitted to the university registrar except when an instructor certifies that, because of an error in calculation or transcription, an incorrect grade has been submitted. Specific grade change policies may vary by school and are detailed in subsequent chapters.

Credit/No Credit Grades  Students have the option of receiving the grades CR (credit) or NC (no credit) in place of A-F grades. This option is selected when student registers for the course. Instructors have the right to deny  students permission to take courses on a CR/NC basis. If this occurs, students may either change back to the regular grading option or drop the courses entirely. Courses taken for CR/NC may not be used for any major or basic area requirements without departmental approval. Specific CR/NC policies for each school are detailed in subsequent chapters.


The University conducts a graduation ceremony each May to recognize and honor those students who have completed all degree requirements during the previous academic year. Students who graduate at the end of the summer or fall semesters are invited to attend the ceremony following their graduation. Summer and fall graduates may not participate in a ceremony conducted prior to the actual awarding of their degrees. Students must be enrolled in a degree-granting school in the semester in which they expect to receive a degree.  Degree candidates who do not enroll for credits must enroll for the non-resident status.

Honorary Degrees

The University of Virginia does not award honorary degrees. In conjunction with the Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation, the University presents the Thomas Jefferson Medal in Architecture and the Thomas Jefferson Medal in Law each spring. These awards, recognizing excellence in two fields of interest to Jefferson, constitute the University’s highest recognition of scholars outside the University.

Leaves of Absence and Withdrawals

Voluntary Leaves of Absence
  Students who wish to take a voluntary leave of absence for either a semester or a year must apply for such leave at their dean’s office. Most schools require students on leave to apply for readmission at least 60 days prior to final registration for the semester in which they intend to enroll. See specific school chapters for deadlines. Students on an approved leave of absence have the notation “on academic leave” entered on their permanent academic record following the semester during which they last registered at the University. Policies governing leaves and readmission may vary by school and are detailed in subsequent chapters.

Educational Leaves of Absence  Students who wish to take a leave of absence to pursue educational interests at another educational institution in the United States must apply for a leave of absence at their dean’s office. Students who wish to study abroad in an accredited program or at an accredited foreign university must apply for a leave of absence at the International Studies Office. While on such an approved leave, a student must register at the University of Virginia as a non-resident and pay a non-resident fee; this indicates that he or she is on an approved leave of absence pursuing educational interests elsewhere. Students registered for an approved leave may pre-enroll for courses and do not have to apply for readmission to the University, although they must notify their dean’s office or the International Studies Office of when they intend to return.

Exclusion From Courses  A student who is making no real progress in a course, or whose behavior is detracting from the course, may be excluded from that course by the dean with a grade of W or F. Students have five calendar days following written notification of this exclusion in which to appeal. Until the final disposition of the appeal, the student is considered to be enrolled in the course.

Enforced Withdrawal  Students may be forced to withdraw from the University for habitual delinquency in class, habitual idleness, or any other fault that prevents the student from fulfilling the purpose implied by registration at the University. Students who are forced to withdraw during a given term will have the notation “enforced withdrawal (date) entered on their permanent academic records following the semester in which the action occurred. A grade of W (withdrawal) or WD (administrative withdrawal) will be entered for each course in which the student was registered. Students who have been forced to withdraw must apply for readmission to their dean’s office in the same manner as suspended students.

Medical Withdrawal  Students who withdraw for reasons of health must obtain permission from the Department of Student Health. A grade of W (withdrawal) will be entered for each course in which the student was registered. Subsequent medical clearance from the Department of Student Health is required for readmission.

Voluntary Withdrawal  Students may withdraw from the University before the conclusion of a semester with the following conditions:

1. Students under the age of 18 must give notice to their parents or legal guardians of their intention to withdraw. Evidence of this notice must be provided at the time of withdrawal.
2. Applications for withdrawal must be made in writing to the student’s academic dean’s office and must be approved by the dean.
3. Failure to comply with the above regulations will subject a student to suspension from the University by the Vice President for Student Affairs. Any student who withdraws without having obtained permission is recorded as having been suspended with a grade of F recorded for each course.
4. Students who withdraw from the University voluntarily will have the notation “withdrew (date)” recorded on their permanent academic record. Students who withdraw will receive grades of W, WP, or WF in their courses, depending upon the school in which they are enrolled.

Specific voluntary withdrawal and readmission policies may vary by school and are detailed in subsequent chapters.

Appeals  Students have the right to appeal the imposition of sanctions. During the pendency of his or her appeal, a student's standing remains status quo.

Non-Resident Status

The non-resident status is reserved for students who are not taking courses or pursuing research, but who need to be enrolled at the University for certain administrative reasons, including finishing incompletes, awaiting graduation, or while simultaneously enrolled through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies. This status is for students who are not in residence in one of the degree-granting schools of the University and bears no relation to the student’s in- or out-of-state tuition status. Non-resident students are considered to be enrolled less than half-time and receive no student I.D. card privileges.


Exceptions to academic regulations may be requested by petitioning the appropriate faculty committee or dean’s office in the student’s school of enrollment. Petition forms and information concerning the proper procedures for requesting exceptions to academic regulations may be requested in the deans’ offices.

Posthumous Degrees

Upon the recommendation of the faculty of the appropriate school, the general faculty of the University may make a posthumous award of the degree or degrees a student had been pursuing if all requirements were likely to have been completed during the final year for which the student was registered had it not been for the intervention of death or debilitating illness.
The vice president for student affairs is responsible for ensuring that appropriate procedures to implement this policy are established in the various schools of the University. The policy is retroactive.


Students who have not enrolled at the University for a semester or more, and who are not on an educational leave of absence, must be formally readmitted, regardless of whether they are on an approved leave of absence. For readmission, a student must be cleared by his or her academic dean, the Department of Student Health, and the Office of the Dean of Students. Application for readmission must be made to the academic dean’s office of the student’s school at least sixty days in advance of the next university registration period. The School of Commerce and the College of Arts and Sciences have slightly different policies regarding readmission procedures and deadlines. Additional information about school readmission policies can be found in subsequent chapters.


Students must complete final registration by using
ISIS in order to be considered duly enrolled students. Specific instructions are available each semester in the Course Offering Directory and online at The late registration period begins the day after the end of regular registration. Students who pre-enroll in courses but do not complete the registration process by the deadline will be dropped from all courses. The final deadline for registration is seven weeks after the first day of classes. Students who have not completed registration by that date are not allowed to register for the semester, receive credit for the semester, or receive a degree during the semester. No student will be permitted to register after the final deadline unless the delay in registration was a result of University actions. Inability to pay tuition and fees by the deadlines imposed by the university bursar does not constitute an acceptable reason for registering late.
A late fee of $25 is charged to students who register after regular registration through the end of the tenth class meeting day of the semester. After the tenth class meeting day, a $50 fee is charged.
Payment of tuition and fees is considered  part of the registration process. Failure to pay tuition and fees by the dates established by the university will result in suspension from the University (see the chapter on tuition and fees). By registering, the student assumes an obligation to pay for that semester’s tuition and fees.
All suspensions—financial, disciplinary, or academic—must be cleared before a student is permitted to register at the University. Students who are terminated for non-academic reasons during the semester, and who seek reinstatement in the same semester, are readmitted and reregistered by the university registrar in coordination with their dean’s office. Students seeking reinstatement must obtain a termination clearance form approved by the terminating authority. This form must be presented to the university registrar prior to the tenth class day before the last day of scheduled classes. Students are not allowed to be readmitted or reregistered after this deadline, and they are not permitted to receive credit for that semester or to receive a degree in that semester.
Individuals who fail to register are not considered University of Virginia students and are not certified as being enrolled at the University for any purpose. Registered students must enroll in at least the minimum number of credits required by their school, or they must cancel their registration.

Repeated Courses

Courses may be repeated for credit only with the permission of the student’s dean’s office. However, the original course continues to appear on the official academic record and counts in the calculation of the grade point average. Regulations concerning repeated courses may vary by school and are detailed in subsequent chapters.

Student Status

Students must have completed the registration process at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters and be current in all financial obligations to the University in order to be considered enrolled at the University. Satisfaction of one of the following criteria confers full-time or part-time status on an undergraduate student during a given semester for the purpose of enrollment certification and deferment of student loans. Separate criteria may apply for tuition, fees, and financial aid.

Full-Time Students  Registration for nine or more credits in a semester constitutes full-time status for the purpose of loan deferments and enrollment certification.

Part-Time Students  Any student carrying fewer than nine credits is considered to be enrolled part-time.  Registration for fewer than nine credits requires permission of the dean’s office.

Thesis Opportunities

The opportunity to write a thesis for credit is available to participants in distinguished majors programs and to majors in some departments or schools. See subsequent school chapters for details.


Transcripts of courses taken, grades given, and degrees received at the University of Virginia are maintained in the
Office of the University Registrar in accordance with the policies of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers.(1) Current students may view their records in their dean’s office or in the Office of the University Registrar upon proof of identification. Students may obtain copies of transcripts from the Office of the University Registrar by making a written request authorizing the release of the transcript. A $4 fee is charged for each copy. The University of Virginia reserves the right to withhold the transcripts of students who have unfulfilled financial obligations with the University.
Access to student records is protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Any student attempting to gain access to, or possession of, another student’s record will be subject to disciplinary proceedings and suspension from the University.

(1)The transcript is a record of all academic work attempted at the University; it is not possible to segregate individual courses or semesters or to print only undergraduate or graduate work.

Transfer Credit

General Policies
  The University of Virginia grants transfer credit based on the content of the courses taken, the applicability of the courses to the student’s intended major and degree program, and the quality of performance in the courses.
Credit is allowed only for those courses in which a grade of C or better has been earned. Some programs may require a grade of B or better. Only credits are accepted in transfer; grades are not transferred and do not affect the student’s cumulative grade point average at the University of Virginia. Credit from institutions on a system other than the semester hour system is converted to semester hours. Students receive no more, and may receive fewer, than the number of credits earned at the host institutions.
Policies governing transfer credit may vary by school, and are detailed in subsequent chapters.

Credit From Foreign Institutions  The University of Virginia grants credit for courses taken at recognized foreign tertiary-level educational institutions. Foreign educational institutions that are chartered and authorized by their respective national governments (generally through the Ministries of Education) are considered “recognized.” Credit is awarded for courses judged to have been completed at a C level or above. The amount of credit granted does not exceed that given for the comparable University course. The University of Virginia applies the general guidelines for awarding credit given by the National Council on the Evaluation of Foreign Student Credentials and the National Association for Foreign Student Affairs.

Credit By Examination  The University of Virginia participates in the Advanced Placement Examinations Program of the Educational Testing Service and the International Baccalaureate Examination Program. Students who receive grades deemed satisfactory by the academic unit to which they seek admission may receive academic credit. The University does not participate in the College Level Examination Program, the College Proficiency Exam, or the USAFI and DANTES programs of the United States Military Forces.

Enrolled Students Taking Course Work at Other Institutions  University of Virginia students must secure the permission of their dean's office prior to enrolling in courses at another institution and transferring academic credit back to the University to apply toward their degree program. After completing such work, students must have official transcripts  from the institution in which the courses were taken sent to the appropriate dean’s office at the University. Approval to take courses on a pass/fail basis must also be obtained prior to taking the courses. Courses in which “pass” or “credit” grades are received must be certified as equivalent to a grade of C or higher to be accepted. Courses applied toward the major may not be transferred to the University from another institution without special permission of the department.

Top | Graduate Record Index | Undergraduate Record | UREG Home | COD | ISIS | Ask the Registrar