General Information

The College of Arts and Sciences offers an education in the liberal arts leading to the degrees of Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science in Biology, Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, or Bachelor of Science in Physics. The faculty believe a good liberal arts education must provide students with an extensive base of intellectual content and skills that enables them to explore ideas, evaluate evidence critically, draw reasoned conclusions, and communicate one’s thoughts in a clear, coherent manner. Such abilities are particularly important in a world in which knowledge and professions are changing rapidly, and the United States is increasingly part of a global social and economic network. A good liberal arts education thus demands not only rigor and depth, but also sufficient breadth to expose students to a wide range of subjects and methods of studying them.

Competency Requirements

These requirements provide the foundation for successful study in the liberal arts, for meeting subsequent challenges in the work place, and for serving effectively as an educated member of society:

  1. Composition: We expect every liberal arts graduate to have the ability to write clearly, succinctly, and in a logical manner.

  2. Foreign Language: Language is not simply a means to communicate, but also an avenue for insights into other cultures. Many students also discover that learning a second language improves their understanding of English and broadens their awareness of an increasingly diverse America.
Area Requirements

The faculty established area requirements to ensure that all students have the background and breadth for further learning in a variety of disciplines. In completing these requirements, students explore a wide range of disciplines, points of view, and modes of inquiry. In addition, they investigate unfamiliar areas and thus can make more informed judgments about their major and elective courses.

The faculty encourages students to design programs of study that offer the maximum range of intellectual opportunities. The area requirements are therefore organized to provide experience with a broad array of intellectual approaches rather than prescribe a specific body of content:

  1. Social Sciences: allow students to explore techniques of analysis and modes of reasoning for studying a wide range of social, economic, and political relations.

  2. Humanities: improve the student’s understanding of the achievements and potential of literature and the arts, whether verbal, visual, or musical. They may also address basic questions concerning values and ethics.

  3. Natural Sciences and Mathematics:  improve a student’s comprehension of the fundamental principles of natural phenomena and of scientific methods as a way of describing and understanding the world.

  4. Non-Western Perspectives: broadens students’ exposure to other cultures and to the ways those cultures perceive their environment or organize their society.

  5. Historical Studies: introduce students to the historical forces that have shaped and changed the nature of human societies and the methods that are required to study such forces. Encourages students to think about cause and effect and the continuity and change over time.
The Major  The faculty requires each student examine one subject in depth in order to experience sustained, cumulative study of a range of related topics and issues over a period of several semesters. The declaration of a major in a single subject also allows students to focus on an area of interest where they would like to develop their intellectual capacity. The faculty does not view the major as a direct path to a particular career. However, by developing a mastery of a particular area, students advance their intellectual capabilities in ways that will be of value in a range of later endeavors.

A degree program must be completed in four academic years and, under certain conditions, can be completed in three. The first two years are intended to be spent in developing the knowledge and skills associated with a broad range of basic academic disciplines, including natural science, history and social science, the humanities, foreign language, English composition, mathematics and fine arts. In the third and fourth years, students are expected to continue at a more advanced level in several of these fields and to concentrate in one of them (the major subject). Twelve or more credits attempted in a single semester for work at another institution will constitute one of the eight semesters allotted for full-time registration in the College.

The minimum residence requirement for a degree is two academic years. The last year of candidacy must be spent in this University, and courses offered in the major for the degree must be completed at the University unless written exception is made by the dean of the College in consultation with the department or interdepartmental program concerned.

For graduation from the College the candidate must have satisfied the area requirements given below and a plan of major study. In addition, the candidate must have passed and offer for a degree a minimum of 120 credits of approved courses, of which at least 96 must be passed on a graded (A-B-C-D) basis. Among the 120 credits must be at least 102 College or College-equivalent credits. A candidate must have made a grade point average of at least 2.0 on all graded courses taken in the College or elsewhere in the University and offered for a degree. A student who has received a baccalaureate degree cannot submit any courses offered for that degree toward another degree in the University. Students are subject to the area requirements in effect during the academic year when they first enter the University. Students are subject to the requirements for the major in effect during the semester in which they declare the major.

The College of Arts and Sciences
Garrett Hall
University of Virginia
P.O. Box 400133
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4133
(434) 924-8864

2002-2003 College of Arts and Sciences Calendar

Fall Semester
August 24 – Arrival of new students
August 24-27– Orientation for new students
August 26-28 – Advising
August 21-30– Final registration (via ISIS)
August 28 – Classes begin
September 11 – Last day to drop a course
September 13 – Last day to add a course; last day to change to or from credit/no credit; last day to elect AU (audit) option
September 30 – Last day to submit degree application for January 2003 Graduation
October 4 – Last day of classes before Reading Holiday
October 5 - 8 –  Reading Holiday
October 9 – Classes resume
October 23 – Last day to withdraw from a course
October 25-27 – Family weekend
October 25 – Fall Convocation
November 4-15 - Advising, selection of spring courses
November 25 – Last day to withdraw from the University and return for spring 2003 semester
November 26 – Last day of classes before Thanksgiving recess
November 27-December 1 – Thanksgiving recess
December 2 – Classes resume
December 2 – Last day to request change in examination schedule
December 6 – Classes end; last day to submit degree applications for May 2003 graduation
December 7-8 – Reading days
December 9-16 – Course examinations
December 16 - Last day for fourth-semester students to declare a major
January 17 – Deadline for completing authorized incompletes from fall semester

Spring Semester
January 8-17 – Final registration (via ISIS)
January 15 – Classes begin
January 29 – Last day to drop a course
January 31 – Last day to add a course; last day to change to or from credit/no credit; last day to elect AU (audit) option
February 28 – Last day of classes before spring recess
March 1-9 – Spring recess
March 10 – Classes resume
March 19 – Last day to withdraw from a course
March 31-April 11 – Advising; selection of fall courses
April 15 – Last day to withdraw from the University and return for fall 2003 semester
April 25 – Last day to request change in examination schedule
April 29 – Classes end
April 30-May 1 – Reading days
May 2-9 – Course examinations
May 9 - Last day for fourth-semester students to declare a major
May 18 – Final Exercises
June 6 – Deadline for completing authorized incompletes from spring semester

Students’ Records

Compliance with College Regulations  Students are held responsible for selecting their courses in accordance with the course restrictions and policies printed here, in the College of Arts and Sciences Student Handbook, and in advising material distributed by departments. Only after the approval of the dean’s office has been obtained in the form of a petition may a student enroll in a course that does not comply with the College’s regulations.

Requests for Exceptions and Appeals  Students who believe there is a valid reason for requesting an exception to any of the rules should file a petition to their Association Dean. In most cases, the recommendation of a course instructor or advisor is required on the petition before it is filed. An unfavorable response from the dean may be appealed to the Committee on Faculty Rules. The College has established procedures to deal with requests for exceptions to rules in cases involving psychological issues. College students should contact their Association Dean for information about such procedures.

Accuracy of Students' Records and Use of e-mail  Students are responsible for verifying the accuracy of their academic records by the drop deadline and, thereafter, each time they make a change in their schedule. Students who fail to do so are subject to various penalties as determined by the dean. Changes to the transcript are permitted only during the current and immediately subsequent semesters. Upon payment of a nominal fee, transcripts may be requested from the Office of the University Registrar in Carruthers Hall. PACE reports are mailed each semester by the registrar, and grade reports are mailed to students at the end of each semester. Errors must be reported to the dean’s office within the stated deadlines. After one semester has lapsed, a student’s record is considered permanent. With official College communications to students being sent via U.S. mail, messenger mail, and now e-mail, students are strongly urged to check their mail on a regular basis and are expected to respond promptly to all notices from the College. Students who object to the use of email for the transfer of information regarding their academic standing should notify their Association Deans in writing and anticipate that the processing of information about them is likely to be slower. Further, when students use non virginia.edu mail accounts, it is their responsibility to make sure their UVA mail is forwarded to that account.

Academic Information *

The curriculum applies to all incoming first-year students who registered for the fall of 1994 or subsequent semesters. Students who entered prior to 1994 and now resume their undergraduate education are subject either to the curriculum in place when they matriculated or the current one. The dean of the College determines the year level of all new transfer students and informs them before matriculation.

Intra-University Transfers  Intra-University transfer into the College is not automatic. Information and an online application is available at www.virginia.edu/artsandsciences/clas/info/iutinfo.htm. The Dean of the College re-evaluates the AP and prior transfer credits of intra-University transfers.

Lists of courses meeting the second writing requirement, historical studies, and non-Western studies requirements are available in Garrett Hall, the annually revised College of Arts and Sciences Student Handbook, and other advising information distributed by the College of Arts and Sciences.

Students are encouraged to refer to the College’s website for current and accurate information about academic policies in the College: http://www.virginia.edu/artsandsciences/forundergrads.html

Awards and Honors

Dean’s List  Full-time students who demonstrate academic excellence while taking a minimum of 12 credits of graded course work are eligible for the Dean’s List of Distinguished Students at the end of each semester. Courses taken on a CR/NC basis are not counted toward the 12-credit minimum. A current minimum grade point average of 3.4 is necessary to be eligible for the dean’s list. Any student receiving an F, NC, or NG during the semester is not eligible to be on the dean’s list.

Intermediate Honors  A certificate of Intermediate Honors is awarded to students entering the University directly from high school or preparatory school who earn at least 60 credits of course work at the University and are among the top twenty percent of their class in the College of Arts and Sciences. The computation is based upon the cumulative grade point average at the end of the fourth semester. The notation “intermediate honors” is also placed on the student’s official academic record. No more than twelve of the 60 required credits may be earned on a CR/NC basis. Further, students need to have remained in good standing. Advanced placement and transfer credits do not count toward the required credits.

Theses and Commencement Honors  Degrees with distinction, high distinction, and highest distinction are awarded by the Committee on Special Programs to students who have a grade point average of 3.4 or higher and have been recommended by the departments or interdepartmental programs in which they have completed a Distinguished Majors Program (DMP) or the equivalent. Distinguished majors programs require that students submit a written thesis. All degree programs in the College of Arts and Sciences offer a distinguished majors program except astronomy, drama, and medieval studies. In departments offering thesis courses, non-DMP students may have an opportunity to write a thesis; contact the specific departments for more information. The committee also awards distinction (but not high or highest distinction) to students who have not enrolled in, or who have discontinued, a DMP but who complete their degree with a grade point average of at least 3.6.

Phi Beta Kappa  To be eligible for election to Phi Beta Kappa, students must have completed distinguished work in advanced courses in several Arts and Sciences departments. While no set grade point average is established for election, successful nominees have usually earned a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.7, taken upper-level work in several departments in the College, and carried a course load greater than 15 credits in each semester.

Course Numbering

100-299 Lower level undergraduate: introductory and survey courses.
300-499 Upper level undergraduate: advanced courses that may have prerequisites or require instructor permission.
500-599 Introductory graduate level: courses for beginning graduate students and advanced undergraduates.

Undergraduates are not to enroll in courses above 599 without the prior, written approval of their Association Dean.

Where possible, odd numbers signify fall semester courses, and even numbers spring semester courses. The Committee on Educational Policy and the Curriculum (CEPC) is responsible for approving course content and determining course level.

Simultaneous Counting of Courses and Cross-listed Courses

One course (including cross-listed courses such as AAS 101 and HIAF 203) may simultaneously meet no more than two area requirements; it may also satisfy the second writing requirement. Courses taken to fulfill the area and second writing requirements, with the exception of foreign language courses through the 202 level, may be counted toward a first or second major or toward a minor.

Competency Requirements

Following matriculation, all competency and area requirements must be completed at the University of Virginia. AP credits from secondary school, and transfer credits before enrollment for the first time, may count as area requirements, with the exception of the second writing requirement. Dual-enrollment credit may not be used to meet first writing or foreign language requirements. Test scores cited in this section are from the SAT II Subject Tests recentered in April 1995.

First Writing Requirement:  ENWR 105/106 (6 credits) or ENWR 110 (3 credits) or exemption

Students must meet the First Writing Requirement during the first year. Students may meet this requirement by successfully completing the ENWR 105/106 sequence, by passing ENWR 110, or by exemption. Students may earn exemption in one of three ways:

  1. Single-measure exemption. Students are automatically exempt from the first writing requirement if at least one of the following statements is true:

    The student is an Echols Scholar

    The student scored 740 or above on the SAT II writing exam
    The student scored a 5 on the AP English language subject test

  2. Composite exemption. Students are automatically exempt from the first writing requirement if at least one of the following statements is true:
    The student scored 680-730 on the SAT II writing exam AND scored a 5 or above on the IB (higher level A 1) exam
    The student scored 680-730 on the SAT II writing exam AND scored a 4 on the AP English language subject test
    The student scored 700-730  on the SAT II writing exam AND scored a 4 or 5 on the AP English literature exam

  3. Portfolio exemption. Students who feel that their test scores do not fairly represent their ability to write academic arguments may ask the Associate Director of the Academic Writing Program to review a portfolio of their work. For more information on portfolio exemption students are referred to the placement guide at www.engl.virginia.edu/writing.html
Second Writing Requirement: typically a 3-credit course

Students must complete an additional course, in any department in the College, whose written work in English meets the criteria for this requirement. The course may carry one or more credits. There are no exceptions to the second writing requirement. Courses elected under this heading may also be counted toward completion of other segments of the area requirements, as well as toward a major or minor. A course offered for the second writing requirement must carry a grade of C- or better and must be taken in the College. All students must satisfy this requirement at the University of Virginia by the end of the sixth semester, with the necessary form filed by the same deadline in the dean’s office.

Foreign Language: 0-14 credits, (through the 202 level; 212 in Portuguese; 201 for B.S. in Chemistry) or exemption, depending on previous work.  Placement in a language sequence is by SAT II Subject Test score and departmental recommendation. Students who achieve the following SAT II Subject Test scores are exempt from this requirement: 660 or above in French; 650 or above in German, Italian, Latin, or Spanish; 640 or above in Chinese or Japanese; or 560 or above in Hebrew. Students must follow the department’s recommendations in the completion of the foreign language requirement. Once placement occurs, the foreign language requirement is fulfilled by the completion of each course in sequence (no skipping). Credit for introductory language courses is disallowed if it duplicates foreign language credits offered for admission to the College.

Students may be exempted from foreign languages not taught in the College upon certification by a faculty member or outside examiner designated by the dean of the College. Students may also meet the foreign language requirement by completing, or gaining exemption from, the fourth semester of American Sign Language.

Area Requirements

Natural Science and Mathematics: 12 credits

Students must pass twelve hours of natural science and/or mathematics courses from at least two departments. Exceptions are: BIOL 000t, CHEM 000t, PHYS 000t, ASTR 000t, EVSC 000t and EVSC 230, MATH 000t and MATH 103. The courses designated as 000t’s are equivalencies determined by the College of Arts and Sciences. These courses were taken prior to matriculation and are considered to be elective credit.

For the purpose of fulfilling this requirement, statistics and mathematics are considered one department. Students are strongly encouraged to include courses in mathematics, the physical sciences, and the biological sciences. These courses may be chosen from the Departments of Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Sciences, Mathematics, Physics, and the Division of Statistics.

Social Sciences: 6 credits

Students must pass a minimum of one course (three or more credits) from two of the following departments or programs: African-American and African studies, anthropology (except ANTH 237), economics, politics (except PLPT), linguistics (200-level or above), psychology, sociology, and studies in women and gender. Students may also choose EVSC 230 from the environmental sciences department and AMEL 301,302 from the asian and middle eastern languages and cultures department.

Some foreign language courses taught under ANTH do not fulfill this requirement, nor do literature courses under AAS. Courses taken for this requirement may also count toward one other area requirement.

Humanities: 6 credits

A student must pass a minimum of one course (three or more credits each) from two of the following three groups of departments and programs:

Literature: classics, comparative literature, English (except ENWR 105/106, 110, 210, 220, 270, 282, 370, 371, 372, 380 and ENSP 106) and foreign literature-Asian and Middle Eastern languages and cultures (except ARAB 225, 226, 323/523, 324/524, CHIN 206 and AMEL 301, 302), French, German, Slavic languages and literatures, and Spanish, Italian and Portuguese courses in translation and all courses above the 202 level.

Fine Arts: Art History; Studio Art; Drama; Music (except courses MUSI 150-MUSI 159, MUSI 150A-MUSI 159Z, MUSI 160-MUSI 169, MUSI 160A-MUSI 169Z, MUSI 351-MUSI 369); Architectural History (AR H) 100, 101, 102, 150, 203,  331/531 and  333/533; and Architecture (ARCH) 101 and ANTH 237.

Moral, Philosophical and Religious Perspectives: Political Theory (PLPT), Philosophy, and Religious Studies.

Historical Studies: 3 credits

Students must pass a minimum of one course (of at least three credits) from the Department of History or a course from another department that is substantially historical, as recognized by the Committee on Educational Policy and the Curriculum (CEPC). Courses taken for this requirement may also count toward one other area requirement.

Non-Western Perspectives

Students must pass a minimum of one course (of at least three credits), from any department among those recognized by the CEPC as dealing substantively with a culture other than the Western cultural heritage, including minority sub-cultures in the West. Courses taken for this requirement may also count toward one other area requirement.

Liberal Arts Seminars (LASE), University Seminars (USEM 170, 171), and other courses numbered 170 and 171 count as non-College credit and may not be counted toward the area requirements.

Major Subject

Students must enroll in either a major program offered by one of the departments or an interdepartmental program before the end of their fourth semester; in addition, they must present to the dean of the college, as part of a plan of study, a program requiring no fewer than 18 nor more than 30 credits in the major subject, approved by an official advisor. The major program may require up to 12 credits in related courses.

Students may major in two subjects, in which case the application for a degree must be approved by both departments or interdepartmental programs. Students who double major must submit at least 18 credits in each major; these credits may not be duplicated in the other major. There is no triple major.

The credit/no credit option may not be elected for the courses offered in the major program. Beyond the courses required for the major, however, a student may register for other courses in their major field on a credit/no credit basis.

Courses taken during a student’s first and second years may count toward the major program with the permission of the department or interdepartmental program concerned. Courses applied toward the major may not be transferred from another institution to the University except with special permission of the department. Courses (other than foreign language through 202) may count simultaneously toward fulfillment of a second major. Students beyond the second year must remain in good standing as a major or have their enrollment in the College cancelled.

The following major programs are offered:

  • African-American and African Studies
  • American Studies
  • Anthropology
  • Archaeology
  • Art History
  • Art Studio
  • Asian and Middle Eastern Studies  
  • Astronomy
  • Astronomy-Physics
  • Biology
  • Chemistry, B.A. or B.S.
  • Classics
  • Cognitive Science
  • Comparative Literature
  • Drama
  • Economics
  • English
  • Environmental Sciences
  • Environmental Thought and Practice
  • Foreign Affairs
  • French
  • German
  • Government
  • History
  • Human Biology
  • Interdisciplinary Major
  • Italian
  • Jewish Studies
  • Latin American Studies
  • Linguistics
  • Mathematics
  • Media Studies
  • Medieval Studies
  • Music
  • Philosophy
  • Physics
  • Political and Social Thought
  • Political Philosophy, Policy and Law
  • Psychology
  • Religious Studies
  • Russian and East European Studies
  • Slavic Languages and Literatures
  • Sociology
  • Spanish
  • Studies in Women and Gender
Concentrations  Some departments and interdisciplinary programs offer concentrations along with the major. Students in these departments or programs may concentrate in designated areas of study that also meet the requirements of the major. Concentrations typically involve special topics, applications, or disciplines, and may include courses taken in other departments or schools of the University. A student’s concentration appears, along with the major, on his or her transcript.

Interdepartmental Programs  A number of degree programs are administered by committees rather than by departments. These include African-American and African studies, American studies, comparative literature, Russian and East European studies, all the area studies programs—Asian, Jewish, Latin-American, and Middle Eastern studies; and all the organized interdisciplinary studies programs—archaeology, cognitive science, the Echols Scholars Program, linguistics, media studies, medieval studies, political and social thought, political philosophy, policy and law, and studies in women and gender.

Interdisciplinary Major  Students wishing to focus on an area for which there is no departmental or interdepartmental major program may apply to the chair for acceptance in the Interdisciplinary Major Program. Such a plan of study must include at least 30 credits of courses, in addition to a 6-credit thesis. The program must also be approved by three faculty sponsors, who will serve as the student’s major committee. Details are available in Garrett Hall.

Distinguished Major  Students who show exceptional promise in their major field of study may be eligible for admission to the Distinguished Majors Program (DMP) within their department. This program consists of at least twelve credits of advanced work and a thesis, special project, experiment, or exhibit based on at least six credits of supervised research, advanced laboratory work, or advanced study, as determined by the department. Successful completion of the program with a University cumulative grade point average of at least 3.4 will qualify a student for graduation with distinction, high distinction, or highest distinction.

Teacher Education  Students in the College may also apply to the five-year Education Program sponsored jointly with the Curry School of Education, which leads to the simultaneous receipt of both a B.A. degree from the College and a Master of Teaching degree from the Curry School of Education. Students will also be certified to teach on the elementary or secondary levels. Students wishing to pursue careers as teachers will major in an academic discipline in the College and simultaneously begin professional courses leading to teacher certification.

Students may select a major in any area of the College and combine it with a teaching specialization in one of the following areas:

  • Elementary Education (grades K-8)
  • Secondary Education (high school)
  • English
  • Foreign Languages (French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish)
  • Health and Physical Education
  • Mathematics
  • Science (Biology, Chemistry, Earth/Space Science, Physics)
  • Social Studies (History, Economics, Government [political science], Psychology, Sociology and Cultural Anthropology)
  • Physical Education and Health (see B.S.Ed. in Curry School)
  • Special Education (Behavioral Disorders, Learning Disabilities, Mental Retardation)
Students wishing to pursue programs leading to teacher certification should contact the Office of Admissions in the Curry School of Education, 104 Ruffner Hall, (434) 924-0740. Additional information is also listed in chapter 9 of this Record. Students in the B.A.-M.T. Program are responsible, each semester, for confirming their compliance with both College and Curry School certification requirements. In particular, students in the B.A.-M.T. Program must carefully plan their courses from the start so as to earn no fewer than 102 College or College-equivalent credits.

Minor Subject

In addition to a major, students may choose a minor concentration in a second subject. Not all departments and interdepartmental programs offer a minor. Credits applied toward a minor may not also count toward completion of a major.

Students intending to minor must complete the appropriate forms in the department no later than the add period of their next to last semester in the College (normally the seventh semester). A minor consists of no fewer than 15 and no more than 24 credits of graded work in a program of studies approved by the sponsoring department. Students may not declare two minors, but they may declare two majors and a minor. As with the major, courses taken credit/no credit may not be included in the minor program. Courses used to meet area requirements in the College and the second writing requirement may simultaneously be offered in fulfillment of a minor, except that foreign language courses through level 202, and 212 for Portuguese, may not be included as part of a minor.

The School of Architecture offers minors in architecture, architectural history, urban and environmental planning, landscape architecture, and historic preservation that are open to students in the College. The courses required for these five minors are exempt from the limitations on electives stated in the paragraph below (Electives) only if requirements for the minor are completed. Requirements for these minors are described in chapter 7.

The School of Engineering and Applied Science offers a minor in computer science for College students consisting of 18 credits. These courses include CS 101, CS 201, CS 202, CS 216, CS 308, and CS 340. Additional details are available at the Department of Computer Science online site, www.cs.virginia.edu, and in Thornton Hall, A122. Space in the CS minor is limited, therefore admission to the minor is competitive. Students who complete approved minor programs outside the College may, once they have completed the program, count these credits as inside the College. For approval by the Committee on Special Programs, such minors must have a primarily liberal arts focus and be consistent with the academic objectives and standards of the College. They are supervised by committees that combine members from the College and the other schools involved. At present, the following minor programs are approved: the minor in planning and the minor in architectural history (both in the School of Architecture).


The remaining courses needed to make up the 120 credits required for the degree are considered electives and may be taken in the College or, with the restrictions noted below, in other schools of the University. Because each College degree must contain no fewer than 102 credits in College or College-equivalent courses, a degree program may also include up to 18 credits of courses offered in the Schools of Commerce, Education, Engineering, Architecture, Nursing, or selected from the following: liberal arts seminars (LASE); university seminars (USEM—limited to one per semester); personal skills (PLSK—no more than 2 credits); physical education (PHYE—nor more than 2 credits); interdisciplinary studies (INST—limited to two courses; total of 3 credits maximum) or the Departments of Naval, Air, and Military Science (NASC, AIRS, and MISC—no more than 12 credits). It is desirable to reserve such courses for the last two years. Additional restrictions placed on electives include a limit of eight credits of music performance (they may not count toward the humanities area requirement) and a limit of 6 credits of EDHS courses counting toward a degree. Certain liberal arts courses taken outside the College are considered College equivalent and count toward the 102 College credits needed for graduation. These include all computer science courses (CS) in the School of Engineering and Applied Science and architectural history courses (AR H) in the School of Architecture (for additional courses in this category, see Intra University Courses).

Bachelor of Science

The requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Biology, the Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and the Bachelor of Science in Physics are included in the appropriate departmental descriptions (see Departments and Programs).

Bachelor of Arts with Honors

The purpose of the baccalaureate degree with honors is to enable students of special ability and interest in their third and fourth years to pursue a course of independent study under the guidance of a department faculty and the supervision of the Committee on Special Programs. Honors students devote their time primarily to their chosen subjects for two years, during which they read independently in that field and participate in tutorials and seminars conducted by their departmental tutors. Honors programs vary slightly from department to department, but candidates in all departments are evaluated finally by visiting examiners from other colleges and universities. Depending upon this evaluation, they may receive degrees with “honors,” “high honors,” or “highest honors” as the only grades for two years of work. It is also possible they may be recommended for no degree, or for an ordinary Bachelor of Arts degree. The most visible honors programs are those offered by the Woodrow Wilson Department of Politics and the Department of Philosophy. Other departments that have accepted candidates for this degree are anthropology, music, and psychology. Further information may be obtained from those departments and from the chair of the Committee on Special Programs.

Intra University Courses

For students offering the minimum 120 credits for the B.A. or B.S., at least 102 must be College (or College-equivalent) courses; thus, no more than 18 credits from other schools of the University may apply. By faculty approval, the following courses are considered College-equivalent and may be applied to the area requirement in humanities/fine arts: AR H 100; AR H 101; AR H 102; AR H 150; and ARH 203.

The following courses may not count as area requirements, but are considered College-equivalent: ARCH 101; ARCH 102; ARCH 232; AR H courses (other than those noted above); COMM 320; CS courses; EDLF 545, EDLF 546; EDLF 564; EDHS 450; ENGR 207; L AR 512; L AR 513; MSE 201; TCC 300; TCC 310; and PLAN courses under 500, only if the minor in planning is completed.

Students in the special education part of the B.A.-M.T. Program are permitted to count the following additional six credits of Curry School courses as College-equivalent: EDIS302 (or EDIS 500) and one of EDIS 510; EDIS 511; EDIS 512; or EDIS 515.

The following are considered non-College courses: EDHS [other than 341, 344, 350, and 351 (College students entering the College after the 1998-1999 term may offer no more than six credits of EDHS courses toward the 120 required)], INST (limited to two courses; total of three credits maximum), ROTC (12 credits maximum), USEM (limited to one per semester), and all other courses from all other schools at the University. Up to 18 credits of these courses may count toward the 120 required for a College degree.

Courses Taken at Other Institutions

Students who wish to take academic courses at another institution after matriculation at the University must have the prior written permission of the dean and the undergraduate advisor or chair of the department that offers corresponding work at the University. Permission is not granted unless students have at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (2.5 for courses taken abroad). After matriculation at the University, students may not fulfill College area requirements with transfer course work, the only exception being a foreign language course taught in the target country and courses taught at the University of Virginia extension in Northern Virginia.

Subject to the above, work completed elsewhere with a grade of C or better is transferred in credits only. The courses thus completed reduce the number of credits and grade points that must be earned at the University for a degree. For example, students earning 10 credits at another institution are required to earn only 110 credits at the University (instead of 120) and 220 grade points. For all College students entering in the fall of 2000 and after, 60 of the 120 credits required for graduation must be taken at the University of Virginia. Please note that the credits transfer to the University, but the letter grades do not appear on the University’s official records. Students will receive no more, and may receive fewer, than the number of credits earned at the host institution.

Study Abroad

Students apply to study abroad in the International Studies Office in Minor Hall. For students who qualify, study abroad is permitted during the summer, for up to two semesters on accredited study abroad programs, or at an accredited foreign university. Approval of the application prior to departure and a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 are necessary to have credits transferred to the University of Virginia from a foreign institution or accredited study abroad program. Only 60 credits of transfer from other universities, foreign study, advanced placement, or dual enrollment may count toward the 120 credits needed for the B.A. or B.S. degree in the College.

Credits may transfer only from accredited degree-granting colleges and universities. Any exceptions require prior endorsement by the Committee on Educational Policy and the Curriculum. Departments share responsibility with the International Studies Subcommittee of the College in determining which programs are eligible for transfer by University students. Area Requirements may be fulfilled on specified UVA sponsored study abroad programs in which the instructors and the specific courses have been reviewed and approved by their respective academic departments. On study abroad programs which are approved to grant UVA credit and grades, the department assigned course numbers fulfill area requirements as if the course were taught on-grounds. If a student participates in the program of an accredited degree-granting college or university, an official transcript sent directly to the College is required for transfer of credit. If, instead, a student participates in a non-accredited or non-degree granting program that has been approved by the Committee on Educational Policy and the Curriculum, the program must send official notification of grades directly to the College.

Transfer Credit

For transfer credit, the College will consider only courses completed at a degree-granting institution of higher education that has been fully accredited by one of the six regional accrediting agencies (e.g., the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools), or from a program approved prior to study by the Committee on Educational Policy and Curriculum.

Transfer credit taken before matriculation may be used for fulfilling area requirements, or for fulfilling major requirements with special permission of the department. Students in the College must take the second writing requirement in the College and earn a grade of at least C-.

Transfer credit is allowed only for those courses in which a grade of C or better has been earned. Courses in which a grade of CR is received must be certified to be the equivalent of a grade of C or higher to be accepted. Only credits are accepted in transfer. Grades do not transfer and do not affect the student's cumulative grade point average at the University of Virginia, the only exception being courses taken at the University of Virginia extension in Northern Virginia: grades from these courses are figured into the student’s cumulative grade point average. Students must submit a request for transfer of credit form prior to enrolling in courses for transfer.

Transfer credit is evaluated only for the degree program to which students are admitted, and the amount of credit awarded is subject to change if students change degree programs. In the College, the amount of transfer credit awarded and the number of full-time semesters previously completed determines class standing. Only 60 credits of transfer from other universities, foreign study, advanced placement, or dual enrollment may count toward the 120 credits needed for the B.A. or B.S. degree in the College.

For more information, see the Transfer Credit section of Chapter 5.

Academic Advising

Academic advising for College undergraduates is the responsibility of the dean of the College, the assistant deans, and the faculty of the departments within the College. Detailed information about the academic policies and programs of the College is contained in the College of Arts and Sciences Student Handbook (sent to students the summer before they enter) and the Transfer Student Handbook (sent to all incoming transfer students). The College Web site (www.virginia.edu/artsandsciences) is a primary source of valuable information and academic advice, including links to departmental homepages.

Each department and interdepartmental program has a faculty member who is charged with organizing undergraduate advising in its major. These persons are usually designated “directors of undergraduate studies” or “undergraduate chairs,” and are thoroughly informed about every course offered for undergraduates in that field. A list of the directors of undergraduate studies appears in the Course Offering Directory and online at. Mid-way through each semester, the departments and interdepartmental programs in the College issue a complete description of courses to be offered in the following semester. These are available separately in the departmental offices and on departmental homepages.

In order to provide every entering student with individual academic counseling, the College has developed the association system. The student body of the College is partitioned into numerous associations representing first-year residences or transfer student status. Each association has an Association Dean, several faculty associates, and a graduate advisor who lives in the first-year dormitory. The faculty associates serve as academic advisors to first- and second-year students. The Association Dean and the graduate advisor assist in matching students with their faculty associates and have a general responsibility for the intellectual life of the association.

These academic advisory services are coordinated with the residence life system, in which selected upper-class students reside in the dormitory as resident assistants and help first-year students with their adjustment to the University. The graduate advisor and the Association Dean are the principal links between academic advising and the more general concerns of residence life.

Students pursuing teacher education and the combined programs with the Curry School of Education have two advisors, one from their College major, and one from the parallel Teacher Education Program in the Curry School. Although B.A. students are primarily responsible for the following rules and policies of the College, there are additional regulations regarding the Teacher Education Program (similar to the rules for any major). Students should therefore consult both advisors before making any decisions regarding academic programs or course selections.

Pre-Law Advising  A law school advisory program is offered by University Career Services in Bryant Hall at Scott Stadium. Available to all University students considering the study of law, the pre-law advisor provides current students and recent alumni sound advice on the admission practices and procedures of law schools throughout the country. Glenn N. Cummings is the Director of Preprofessional Services. Dr. Cummings also completes dean’s certification forms for those students applying to law schools that require them.

Pre-Health Advising  While there is no pre-medical “minor” or concentration at the University, a student planning to apply to medical, dental, or veterinary school should bear the following in mind when planning his/her undergraduate curriculum:

  1. Virtually all medical schools require one-year courses with laboratory in chemistry, biology, organic chemistry, and physics. Some schools also list requirements in English and math.

  2. Prospective students in health education should major in the subject that interests them most. It makes no difference what the college major is. However, non-science majors should elect one or two advanced science courses during their third year, preferably in biology or chemistry, and science majors should elect advanced courses in the humanities and social sciences. It is important to demonstrate a broad education in liberal arts to admissions committees.
Informational meetings for pre-health students are held each semester (particularly in the fall) by Glenn Cummings, Director of Preprofessional Services.

Foreign Study Advising  Both foreign languages and international studies are especially strong academic programs in the College. Many opportunities exist, some of them unique to this University, for studying abroad. About ten percent of the students graduating from the College offer some credit from study abroad toward their degrees. Plans for foreign study should be made well in advance, normally during the first semester of the second year. Students contemplating foreign study should consult an advisor in the Office of International Studies in Minor Hall. A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5, after the student’s most recent enrollment in Charlottesville, is required to receive credits from studying abroad. Students considering foreign study should bear in mind that no more than 60 credits of transfer from other universities, foreign study, advanced placement, and dual enrollment may count toward the 120 credits required for graduation.


A grade of IN becomes an F ten days after the end of the examination period unless a form requesting an extension of time has been signed by the course instructor and approved by the Association Dean. An approved grade of IN does not convert to F until four weeks after the end of the examination period. The faculty has adopted a policy that, unless authorized by the dean’s office, students must complete all course work before taking the final examination. Instructors are not authorized to extend the time for completion of course work without the dean’s approval. Forms for securing extensions are available in Garrett Hall.

Credit/No Credit Grades

Students have the option of receiving the grades CR (credit) or NC (no credit) in place of the regular grades A through F for a given course. This option is taken at the time the student registers for the course. Instructors have the right to deny students permission to take courses on a CR/NC basis. If this occurs, students may either change back to the regular grading option or they may drop the courses entirely. Courses taken for CR/NC may not be used for any major or basic area requirements. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm with the instructor the minimum academic level of achievement for the grade of CR.

No more than two courses may be taken on a CR/NC basis in any semester or in summer session exclusive of physical education courses. A maximum of 24 credits of CR/NC courses may be used toward a degree. Second-year transfer students are permitted to submit up to 18 credits of CR/NC work toward a degree; for third-year transfer students, a maximum 12 credits of CR/NC work are allowed. Courses in interdisciplinary programs cannot be taken on a CR/NC basis. Students may not use a CR/NC course to repeat a course in which a grade has already been given. If this should occur, the credits in the CR/NC course would not count toward graduation. The deadline for selecting the CR/NC option is the same as the add deadline, and requests for exceptions to the deadline are seldom granted.

Final Examinations

Final examinations are given in regularly scheduled courses during a designated period of time at the end of each semester. Final exams in courses may be given only at the times listed in the Course Offering Directory issued each semester by the Office of the University Registrar. Examinations in courses not fitting the regular class times are scheduled by the instructor to avoid conflicts as best as possible and allowing for individual arrangements. Faculty members are not authorized to change the announced times of their examinations. Such changes may be authorized only by the dean’s office, and then only for compelling reasons. All students must have the opportunity to take the exam at the time announced in the Course Offering Directory. Further, the Association Deans authorize requests, when endorsed by a faculty member, to reschedule a final examination to avoid congestion according to the rules of the College up to one week prior to the first day of the examination period.

Students are not permitted to take a final exam before its regularly scheduled time. When genuinely serious conditions exist, students, with the consent of the course instructor, may be allowed to postpone a final exam until after the regular examination period. When the instructor concurs, a student must submit a postponement request on a form provided by the dean’s office. Students will then take the examination at the instructor’s convenience, usually within four weeks of the last day of the examination period.

Unexcused absence from a final examination results in an automatic grade of F in the course.

Grade Changes

No grade may be changed without the approval of the dean after it has been submitted to the University Registrar. The dean is not authorized by the faculty to change a grade submitted to the University Registrar except when an instructor certifies that, because of errors in calculation or transcription, an incorrect grade has been submitted. Extra work to raise a grade, once submitted, is not permitted.

The College limits the time in which a grade change is approved to the fall or spring semester following the one in which the grade was received, except when there is indication that the student violated the integrity of the course.

Absence Regulations

Regular attendance in classes is a vital part of the educational process. At the University of Virginia each student is expected to accept the responsibility of attending classes regularly and promptly. Instructors are encouraged to state their policy on attendance to their classes; they may refer any student whose attendance record they consider unsatisfactory to the dean.

The dean of the College will follow faculty requests to confer with students who are absent from classes too often and, when necessary, will impose academic discipline upon these students, either when recommended by instructors or deemed necessary by his or her office. Absences traditionally excused are those that occur because of hospitalization, serious illness, death in a student’s family, important religious holidays, or authorized University activities (field trips, University-sponsored athletic events, or the like). Students anticipating the need to be absent are expected to consult with the instructor in a timely manner. The instructor is not obligated to allow students to make up missed work; it is the instructor’s decision, not the dean’s, whether students may be allowed such a privilege. Neither the Department of Student Health nor the dean’s office issues excuses for class absence or for missed quizzes. Only when students are unable to contact instructors themselves (e.g., debilitating illness, leaving town suddenly for family emergencies, protracted absences) do the Association Deans send notification to instructors; otherwise it is the student’s responsibility to consult directly with the instructor regarding absence from class. Excuses for absences from final examinations must come only from the dean’s office.

Disability Accommodation

Upon the recommendation of the Learning Needs and Evaluation Center, the College of Arts and Sciences provides appropriate accommodations for students with diagnosed disabilities. Students diagnosed with a specific foreign language learning disability are referred to the policy outlined below.

Foreign Language Learning Disability  In order to meet the needs of students with specific learning disabilities that impede the learning of a foreign language, the College faculty passed the following legislation at its February 1984 meeting:

“Students who are diagnosed by approved services, either before or after their admission to the University, as having specific learning disabilities may petition the dean of the College to receive such accommodation within the structure of required courses in foreign language as in the view of the department concerned is feasible and appropriate. If an accommodation proves unworkable, the dean of the College, on the department’s recommendation, may authorize the substitution of other courses dealing (in English) with the culture or literature of a non-English speaking people or with the history or description of language. For every semester of required foreign language not taken the student will be required to pass an authorized substitute course.”

Therefore a student experiencing exceptional difficulty in a foreign language class should:

  1. Consult immediately with the appropriate language course coordinator. The name of the coordinator may be obtained from the foreign language department.

  2. Undergo testing

    a. Consult the Learning Needs and Evaluation Center (LNEC), located in the Elson Student Health Center, (434) 243-5180, and present either a prior diagnosis or discuss testing to be undertaken. The center will determine if a previous diagnosis was made according to acceptable standards and within three years of admission to the University or anytime thereafter. In the absence of an acceptable prior diagnosis, the LNEC staff will counsel the student regarding undergoing neuropsychological testing for the purposes of establishing a diagnosis. The LNEC will refer the student to approved testing agencies both within the University and the community. The student bears the cost of such testing.

    b. If a student has received a diagnosis of a learning disability deemed acceptable to the University’s LNEC and can document unsuccessful efforts to learn a foreign language at an accredited institution, the student may confer with his or her College Association Dean regarding modification of the foreign language requirement. A petition from the student will be reviewed by the College’s Disability Accommodations Committee.

  3. Request accommodation  If testing confirms a learning disability that adversely affects the learning of a foreign language, the LNEC will suggest possible accommodations in the foreign language classroom (e.g., extended time in class tests, de-emphasized oral or aural components, extra tutorial assistance). The student then takes the accommodation request to both the instructor and the language coordinator. The instructor and the coordinator will inform the student of the accommodations the student will receive in the class. The coordinator will notify the student’s Association Dean in writing what these accommodations are to be. Ideally, accommodations should be in place prior to the student’s enrolling in the course.

  4. Enroll with accommodations  The coordinator reviews the student’s progress after six weeks.

    a. If the student is able to succeed, the student continues to take courses with accommodations until the foreign language sequence is completed.

    b. If the department finds that accommodations prove unworkable despite the student’s maximum effort, the coordinator may recommend in writing to the student’s Association Dean that the foreign language requirement be modified.
    Note: Modification is to be recommended only after proper accommodation procedures have failed.

  5. Modification  Upon receipt of the coordinator’s recommendation and a diagnosis from the LNEC, the student’s dean may authorize the modification of the requirement and so notify the student in writing. The student’s transcript will have the notation “Foreign Language requirement modified.” Grades earned in foreign language classes will continue to appear on the transcript. However, if a student is diagnosed with a foreign language learning disability, a failing grade received in the semester that the student was referred to the LNEC for testing, or that the student with a prior diagnosis identified him or herself to the LNEC, will be converted to NC (no credit).

  6. Substitute courses  Upon modification, the student will be required to take the appropriate number of substitute courses to fulfill the foreign language requirement. As specified in the faculty legislation, these courses are to deal (in English) with the culture or literature of a non-English speaking people, or with the history or description of language. The substitute courses should form a cohesive cluster focused on one language area, either continuing the work begun in the language class or choosing a new area. The substitute courses should be drawn primarily from foreign literature in translation courses (course mnemonic ending with TR, e.g.; CHTR, FRTR, GETR, ITTR, JPTR, PETR, POTR, RUTR etc.); classics (CLAS); those classes from anthropology, history, religion, or other departments that deal exclusively with a specific non-English speaking country or culture; or linguistics (LNGS, with the exception of black English, since the faculty legislation calls for non-English speaking culture or literature). The student is to seek his or her dean’s prior approval for each substitute course. Substitute courses may not be applied toward the first major or toward other area requirements except the second writing requirement. They must be taken for a grade.

Echols Scholars Program

About 170-200 unusually accomplished students are invited to join the Echols Scholars Program at the time of their admission into the University. The program combines a stimulating residential environment with special academic advising for first-year students. Echols scholars are exempt from the foreign language, first and second writing, and area requirements. First-year Echols scholars and all Echols scholars who maintain a 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point average have priority registration for courses and the option of declaring an Echols major. Lynn Davis is the Association Dean of the Echols Scholars Program.

Repeated Courses

Two essentially different courses offered under the same course number may both be counted for degree credit upon the written recommendation of the director of undergraduate studies in the department concerned. Two essentially identical courses, whether under the same course number or not, may not both be counted for degree credit. If a course is passed and repeated, only the first grade received is entered in the computation of grade point average and counts toward the 120 credits required for graduation, although the repeated course and its grade do appear on the student’s transcript. If a course is failed and then repeated, both courses and grades appear on the transcript and are computed in the grade point average.

Simultaneous Enrollments  Even though ISIS cannot prevent simultaneous enrollments in two courses, students should be aware that the faculty have the authority to require 100 percent attendance and participation in the scheduled courses and that the deans office, upon request from a faculty member, may disenroll a student, with a grade of W, from one of the other courses.

Transfer Credit  If a course taken elsewhere and transferred to the University is repeated and passed at the University, only the credits awarded for the transferred course count toward the 120 credits required for graduation. The course repeated at the University does appear on the student’s transcript, but the grade earned does not enter into computation of the grade point average, nor do the credits earned count toward the 120 required for graduation.

AP Credit  If a course for which AP credits have been awarded is repeated at the University, the AP credits are disallowed. The repeated course is posted, with its credits counting toward graduation and its grade included in the computation of the grade point average.

Dual Enrollment

If a course for which dual enrollment credits have been awarded is repeated, the dual enrollment credits are disallowed. The repeated course is posted, with its credits counting toward graduation and its grade included in the computation of the grade point average.

Changes in Schedule

Changes in students’ class schedules are made via ISIS. If admission to a course requires the instructor’s permission, a course action form signed by the instructor must be submitted to the department offering the course. Students taking the course are responsible for ensuring that this form has been properly completed and submitted. Students may add and drop courses through the deadlines stated in the current Course Offering Directory.

Discontinuing a Course  Students may not be removed from a course due to lack of skills or knowledge unless these requirements are identified in the course prerequisites. Students who decide to discontinue a course in which they have enrolled must use ISIS to drop the course within the published deadlines. Students who fail to revise their list of current courses by using ISIS within the well-publicized deadlines become subject to penalties determined by the dean. Students who fail to appear for a first class meeting and who have not made arrangements with the instructor are subject to disenrollment from the course. However, it is the student’s responsibility to drop the course via ISIS by the drop deadline.

With the instructor’s permission, students in the College may withdraw from a course with a grade of W for a period of eight weeks from the semester’s (not the course’s) first day of instruction. After this cutoff, students must either complete the course or, with the instructor’s endorsement, submit a request for an incomplete to the dean’s office. Students who discontinue a course at any point without complying with the proper procedure receive a failing grade.

For year-long College courses, the deadlines to add and drop are those for the first semester, and the withdrawal deadline is that of the second semester.

Degree Applications

To receive a degree, students must comply with the well-publicized procedures administered by the College registrar, whose office is in Garrett Hall 102.

The application process for May graduation begins in October, with the final deadline to file a May degree application falling in December before Christmas break. The application deadline for August graduation falls in June, and for January graduation the deadline falls in September. Students who miss a deadline may apply for the subsequent graduation and must register for the semester in which it occurs.

Graduate Opportunities and Fellowships

Information about Rhodes and Marshall Scholarships, Mellon Fellowships, and a variety of other valuable post-graduate opportunities may be obtained from Assistant Dean William Wilson, Garrett Hall. Each department also keeps announcements of more specialized graduate opportunities. These should be investigated early in the student’s fourth year at the latest.

Independent Study and Interdisciplinary Courses (INST)

Students who wish to do independent study must do so under the auspices of a Departmental or interdisciplinary degree program in the College. Interdisciplinary courses taught under the INST mnemonic must be approved by the Committee on Educational Policy and the Faculty of Arts and Sciences in order to count toward the B.A. and B.S. degrees in the College. Once approved, they count among the 18 hours of non-College credits students may include in the 120 total credits required for a College degree. College students may count no more than two INST courses for a total of 3.0 credits.

Special Students

Each year a very few students are admitted to non-degree, one-year enrollment as special students in the College. The purpose is to provide graduates of four-year institutions, with strong academic records, an opportunity to prepare themselves for graduate work in Arts and Sciences, here or elsewhere. This program is not meant for students who wish to apply to medical school, law school, or business school. Written requests for admission as a special student should be addressed to Assistant Dean Lynn Davis, Garrett Hall, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22903, and should be submitted by August 1 for admission for the fall semester. Special students are not accepted for the spring semester.

Admission as a special student does not imply or guarantee admission to a degree program in an undergraduate or graduate school of the University. Admission to undergraduate schools may be offered only by the dean of undergraduate admission. Admission to graduate programs may be made only by the deans of graduate admission of each individual graduate school.

Changing Registration Type From Full Time to Continuing Education

College students registered full time at the University have until the drop deadline (two weeks) to request conversion of their registration status to enrollment in the School of Continuing and Professional Studies, thereby qualifying for a full refund of their tuition. These students do not withdraw, but have their status changed from RRE (regular returning) to NLV (non-resident) status in the College dean’s office. The student then registers, pays the appropriate tuition, and adds courses through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies. Students who seek to withdraw from the College, but do not plan to enroll in the School of Continuing and Professional Studies are subject to the same reductions in tuition remitted as described in Chapter 4.

Continuing Education

College students may take up to two courses each semester in the School of Continuing and Professional Studies. Credit-bearing laboratories or discussions are not counted as separate courses. Students, when registered for a University sponsored study abroad program, may take up to nine credits at one time. A total of 16 credits taken through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies may be applied toward the B.A. from the College. Students who enroll in course work at the School of Continuing and Professional Studies regional center other than Charlottesville must submit to the College registrar (Garrett Hall 102) a transfer of credit form to ensure that their grade points and credits are accurate.

All grades earned by College students in the School of Continuing and Professional Studies are included in the student’s formal academic records and computation of grade point average. Similarly, grades for courses taken through the continuing and professional studies prior to matriculation in an undergraduate degree program are included in the student’s cumulative grade point average.

Degree seeking students enrolled through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies are not eligible for financial aid through the University. There are alternative, non-University loans available to students taking classes through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies. For further information, please contact Student Financial Services at (434) 982-6000.

Students enrolling in the School of Continuing and Professional Studies do not pay the required fees (which include such items as athletic tickets, intramural access, Student Health, University Transit, Student Legal Services and University Union tickets) expected of full time students. As such, they are not eligible to use the services of the Department of Student Health or purchase the University endorsed student health insurance plan, nor will they receive the above mentioned services while taking classes through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies.

University of Virginia Degree students who believe they have not used all of their financial aid eligibility should contact the Financial Aid office directly.

Course Load

Special permission is required to register for fewer than 12 credits or more than 19 credits each semester. Any student who completes fewer than 12 credits receives an academic warning (see below). Students who register but enroll in no courses have their registration terminated.

Academic Standing

Good Standing  Students are considered to be in good standing at the end of a semester if, in that semester, they have completed at least 12 credits of course work with at least a 1.8 semester average and have no more than one grade below C-. In order to enroll in a fifth semester, students are required to have passed at least 54 credits; passing at least 84 credits is necessary to enroll in a seventh semester. Students who fall behind in the number of credits required are obliged to make up their work in the summer session or, with prior approval, at another accredited institution. To remain in good standing by the end of the fourth semester, students must either be in a major or have received permission from the dean’s office to defer the declaration for one semester.

Academic Warning  Students who fail to remain in good standing are placed on academic warning. The notations “less than 1.8 GPA,” “low grades below C-,” and “reduced course load” are placed on the students’ permanent academic records following the term in which they were placed on warning. A student on warning is expected to meet with his or her Association Dean no later than the add period of the ensuing semester. These students are strongly urged to devote more time to their academic work and are referred to academic support service. Students on academic warning who withdraw or take a leave of absence are eligible to return upon application, but do so on academic warning and are subject to suspension if they do not attain good standing.

Suspension  Students are subject to suspension after two consecutive semesters on warning. Students who fail to earn at least nine grade points in a semester are also subject to suspension. One full fall term and one full spring term must elapse before they may return to the College. Application for readmission is considered upon presentation of evidence that the difficulties that led to suspension have been overcome (see below). Students under suspension may not apply transfer credits from other institutions toward their degree from the College. Two semesters must pass before a suspended student may enroll in the University’s Summer Session.

Leaves of Absence and Withdrawals

Voluntary Leaves of Absence  Absent notice to the contrary, the College expects students to register each semester and proceed to the completion of their degree programs. Students may request to take a leave of absence to pursue educational interests at other institutions; information on the necessary fee and conditions by which they return is available under “Leaves of Absence and Withdrawals” in chapter 5. Students who pay the $68 leave of absence fee have “on academic leave” entered on their permanent academic record and do not apply for readmission. All others must apply for readmission at least 30 days prior to final registration for the semester in which they intend to enroll. Students who enter a degree program at another institution, however, must reapply to the University as transfer students and are not guaranteed acceptance.

Voluntary Withdrawal  Students may withdraw from the University before the conclusion of a semester if they meet the conditions stated in chapter 5.

Students in the College of Arts and Sciences who withdraw within 10 class days immediately preceding the final examination period are not permitted, except for providential reasons, to re-enter the College for the succeeding semester nor to present transfer credit earned during the same time.

In very unusual medical circumstances, documented by professional certification, a College student has one semester in which to petition for a retroactive medical withdrawal. If approved, all grades convert to Ws and the student is obliged to be absent for a full semester before resuming full-time study.

For information about educational leaves of absence, enforced withdrawal, and medical withdrawal, please see chapter 5. Students on financial aid should consult for additional information.


Students who do not enroll at the University for a semester or more and who are not on an educational leave of absence, must be formally readmitted, regardless of whether they were on an approved leave of absence. In order to accomplish readmission, they must be cleared by their academic dean, the Department of Student Health, and the Office of the Dean of Students. Application for readmission must be made to the dean’s office 30 days in advance of the next University registration period.

Readmission application forms are available in Garrett Hall and at www.virginia.edu/artsandsciences/forundergrads.html. For students under academic suspension from the College, the completed application must include a statement that (1) addresses their readiness to return to full-time study, in light of any serious difficulties during their most recent enrollment (e.g. financial, medical, personal hardship), and (2) outlines the courses needed to fulfill their degree requirements over the remaining semesters.

Appeals from Students in the College *

Adds, Drops and Course Enrollment Deadlines  Students who wish to appeal penalties attached to missed deadlines must see their association deans. Further appeal go to the associate dean for undergraduate studies, Garrett Hall 203.

Grading and Classroom Issues  Students who wish to appeal a grade must first attempt to resolve the issue with the instructor of the course. Absent a satisfactory outcome, the student consults with the faculty coordinator of the course, if appropriate, the director of undergraduate studies, and then the chair of the department. If this path proves unsuccessful in the resolution of the matter, the student writes to the associate dean of the College for academic programs (Garrett Hall 202). The final level of appeal is to the dean of the College (New Cabell Hall 419).

College Policies and Rules  Students whose petitions for exemption from College rules have been denied by the association deans may appeal to the Committee on Faculty Rules (c/o associate dean for academic programs, Garrett Hall 202). The committee consists of faculty members who are not association deans. If the negative decision is upheld by the Committee on Faculty Rules, the student’s route of appeal is to the associate dean for academic programs (Richard Handler, Garrett Hall 202). The final level of appeal is to the dean of Arts and Sciences. The associate dean for academic programs, who is in the line of appeals, does not vote in the periodic meetings held by the association deans to address the academic standing of students in the College.

Posthumous Degrees

Upon recommendation of the department in which the student was majoring, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences may make a posthumous award of the degree the student was pursuing, if the student had earned at least 90 credits and was registered at the University within twelve months at the time of death. Eligibility for posthumous degrees extends to students enrolled in B.A. and B.S. programs.


Top | Undergraduate Record Index | Graduate Record | UREG Home | COD | ISIS | Ask the Registrar