Although Thomas Jeffersonís original plan for the University contemplated graduate instruction, the first such department in
the modern sense was not instituted until 1859-60 by Professor Basil Gildersleeve in the School of Greek. Shortly after the
Civil War, a similar department was announced for the School of Latin. The degree of Doctor of Philosophy was offered initially
by the University as early as 1880 and was first awarded in 1885. No formal departmental organization for graduate study existed,
however, until 1904. In that year the Graduate School was established under regulations corresponding to the requirements of the
Association of American Universities, in which the University of Virginia was the first southern university to hold membership.
The administrative offices of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences are as follows: Admissions Office, 437 Cabell Hall
(434-924-7184); Enrolled Student Office, 438 Cabell Hall (434-924-7183); and Deanís Office, 419 Cabell Hall (434-924-3389). The mailing
address is University of Virginia, P.O. Box 400775, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4775.