Although Thomas Jeffersons original plan for the University
contemplated graduate instruction, the first such department in the modern sense
was not instituted until 1859-60 by Professor Basil Gildersleeve in the School
of Greek. Shortly after the Civil War, a similar department was announced for
the School of Latin. The degree of Doctor of Philosophy was offered initially
by the University as early as 1880 and was first awarded in 1885. No formal
departmental organization for graduate study existed, however, until 1904. In
that year, the Graduate School was established under regulations corresponding
to the requirements of the Association of American Universities, in which the
University of Virginia was the first southern university to hold membership.
The administrative offices of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences are as
follows: Admissions Office, 437 Cabell Hall (434-924-7184); Enrolled Student
Office, 438 Cabell Hall (434-924-7183); and Deans Office, 419 Cabell Hall
(434-924-3389). The mailing address is University of Virginia, P.O. Box 400775,
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4775.