Tuition and Fees
Tuition, Required Fees, and Activities Fees  |  Registration and Payment  |  Installment Payment Plan
Withdrawl from the University  |  Other Fees and Special Charges
General Payment Policies  |  Estimated Personal Expenses  |  Classification as an In-State Student
Download PDF — Tuition, Fees, Housing, and Dining


University tuition and fees, listed below, consist of the tuition and required fees, as well as a student activities fee. The student activities fee subsidizes activities approved by the Student Council, such as publications, club sports, and service organizations. In addition, students enrolled in Architecture, College of Arts and Sciences, Commerce, Education, Engineering, and Nursing are required to pay special school fees. These special fees are listed below by school. Tuition is based on the student’s residency classification (i.e., Virginian or non-Virginian). University tuition and fees are subject to change.

Tuition, Required Fees, and Activities Fee


Academic Year (2 Semesters)

Virginia Students

Tuition and required fees


Activities fee




Non-Virginia Students

Tuition and required fees


Activities fee




School Fees

Academic Year (2 Semesters)

Students enrolled in the schools listed below are required to pay a fee in addition to the tuition, required fees, and activities fee listed above.





College of Arts and Sciences






Engineering and Applied Science




Note: For the fall semester only, all first year and transfer students will be assessed a $190 orientation fee. International Students will be charged an additional $50 per semester.

Waiver of Tuition and/or Fees The following qualified individuals may request a waiver of a portion or all of the tuition and fees associated with attendance at the University of Virginia. This waiver must be requested each semester from the Student Accounts section of Student Financial Services. Individuals who waive their fees relinquish entitlement to use the facility or activity that the fees support, and their student identification cards are deactivated accordingly.

Employee Waiver Program University of Virginia full-time salaried faculty (9- or 12-month), ROTC faculty, full-time staff and health care professionals who have been employed for one year or more may request the waiver of tuition and fees for enrollment in one course per semester. This waiver must be requested prior to the end of the registration period for that semester.

This waiver policy (760.800) is not applicable to non-credit or audited courses, non-topical research credits, books, or study material costs. The course for which the waiver is obtained must be completed with a passing grade or better. Otherwise, the University must be reimbursed for the waived charges within 30 days of the issuance of grades. Students must pay all charges incurred if they withdraw from a course.

Faculty Spouse The spouse of a full-time University faculty member may elect to waive the athletics and/or student health components of the required fees.

Registration and Payment


Fall and Spring Semester Registration Registration is completed by using ISIS each semester. Instructions for registering are available on-line at www.virginia.edu/registrar. Upon completion of the registration process, an individual is classified as a registered student. Not attending classes does not alter the registration status or the assessment of tuition and fee charges. Once registered for a semester, a student may terminate registration only through official withdrawal from the University.

Payment and Late Payment The final date for payment of student account bills for University charges is printed on the bill mailed to the student. The payment due date for the fall semester is August 18, 2004; for the spring semester, it is usually in the first week of January. Failure to receive a bill does not waive the requirement for payment when due. Any student who fails to pay the amount due by the specified payment due date is charged a late fee as follows:

Late fee

$50 or 1.5% of the past-due amount (whichever is greater).

Late fee for TAs, RAs, and Veterans


Students are billed for late fees after registration.

Checks returned for insufficient or uncollected funds are immediately redeposited by our bank. Payment of tuition and fees by a check returned from the bank will incur a late fee if the repayment is not received by the published deadline. A $20 service charge will also be assessed. Postdated checks should not be submitted; each check is immediately processed for payment regardless of its date.

The University does not accept credit card payments for tuition, fees, housing or dining charges.

Special Arrangements for Students with Learning Needs or Disabilities Special tuition arrangements are possible for students who must take fewer than nine credits due to a diagnosed learning need or disability. Such students must contact the Learning Needs and Evaluation Center at (434) 243-5180 for a review of their situation and must have their reduced course load approved by the dean of their school.

Installment Payment Plan


In conjunction with a private vendor, the University has developed an installment payment plan. For an annual fee of $60, University tuition, fees, housing, and dining charges may be paid in ten monthly installments. The final date to enroll in the payment plan is July 31, 2004. For complete details, contact Tuition Management Systems at 800-722-4867 or www.afford.com.

Withdrawal from the University


Tuition and Fees Students who withdraw from the University are charged a percentage of the tuition and fees based on the school week within which the withdrawal occurs. A school week is defined as the period beginning on Monday and ending on the succeeding Sunday; the first school week of a semester is defined as that week within which final registration concludes. The effective date of withdrawal is determined by the dean of the school in which the student is enrolled and is recorded on the official withdrawal form that the student must complete as part of the withdrawal process. In the College, the effective date of withdrawal is the date that the student informs the association dean of his or her intent to withdraw from the University. The schedule for allocation of tuition and fees between amounts charged and amounts credited is listed below. This schedule is subject to change.

School Week

Percent Charged

Percent Credited






















Any refunds owed to the student as a result of withdrawal are first offset against any other amounts owed to the University.

Students who receive financial aid and withdraw prior to the completion of 61% of the enrollment period must repay Title IV funds (i.e., PLUS, Perkins, Subsidized, and Unsubsidized Loans; Pell, SEOG, HETAP, and CSAP Grants). To determine what percentage of aid the student has earned, and what percentage must be returned, Student Financial Services will divide the number of days the student attended by the number of days in the enrollment period. For details or examples, contact Student Financial Services.

Residence Hall Rent No refund of residence hall rent shall be made in the event of withdrawal after the fifth class day of each semester. Upon vacating student housing facilities, a student must return the room key to the student accommodation office. The date the room key is returned to the student accommodation office is the effective termination date of the student housing contract.

Other Fees and Special Charges


Damage to University Property The student or students responsible are charged at the cost of repair or replacement.

I.D. Replacement Fee A fee of $15 is charged to replace a lost, stolen, or mutilated student I.D. card. Payment must be made at the time of replacement.

Returned Check Service Fee The University assesses a $20 service fee for all checks returned by the bank as non-negotiable. Checks are automatically redeposited by the bank once before they are returned to the University.

Diploma Fees Replacement and duplicate diplomas may be obtained upon payment of a $50 fee plus a mailing fee.

Transcript Fee A fee of $4 is charged for each transcript of a student’s record. Payment must accompany the request.

Late Registration Fee Students who register within two weeks after the prescribed registration date will be assessed a $25 late fee. Students who register more than two weeks after the prescribed registration date will be assessed a $50 fee.

Late Payment Fee Any student who fails to make payment by the payment due date specified on the bill is assessed a $50 or 1.5% of the past due amount, (whichever is greater).

Late Payment Fee for TA/RA/Veterans Teaching assistants, research assistants, and veterans who fail to pay by the due date specified on the bill are assessed a $10 fee.

International Services Fee All students attending the University under the F-1 or J-1 non-immigrant visa status are required to enroll for full time study in both the fall and spring semesters (12 or more credits for undergraduate students). Any change in visa or citizenship status must be submitted with original documentation to the International Student and Scholar Programs Office in Minor Hall. You are also required to obtain a Social Security Number if you will be receiving University-awarded financial support.

International Students may be charged a $50 International Services Fee. The revenue will offset substantial increases in technology and staff costs associated with the implementation and operation of the federally mandated Student and Exchange Visitor Program and the associated Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Further, the fees will ensure that the University is in compliance with federal mandates, as well as supporting the International Studies Office to have an adequate number of highly skilled professionals that can address all student legal status issues.

Non-Resident Fee Students are charged a fee of $125 for each semester they are on an approved leave of absence or each semester they are not enrolled for courses in a resident school but wish to maintain their matriculated status in the school. Students who are not engaged in any course work during the semester in which they expect to graduate must pay the non-resident fee.

Additional School Expenses Students in the School of Architecture have an additional expense of approximately $150 for supplies. Students in the School of Nursing should consult Chapter 11 for a detailed explanation of personal expenses.

General Payment Policies


Payment at Registration Students are expected to satisfy all outstanding obligations to the University before they are permitted to complete registration. If outstanding obligations are not satisfied, courses are dropped after the end of the final registration period.

Failure to Pay University Financial Obligations Enrolled students may be suspended from the University for past due financial obligations. Suspension includes dropping of courses and prevention from course enrollment for future terms. Current students will have their debts offset against any credit balances and other proceeds, such as loan checks. Current and former students will have a financial hold placed on their academic transcript. Past due obligations are reported to the state for offset against state income tax refunds, state vendor payments, and lottery winnings, and may be reported to credit bureaus, referred to third party collection agencies or the State Attorney General, or litigated. Debtors may be assessed collection costs up to fifty percent of their debt.

Federal Loans The University participates in the Federal Family Education Loan Program. Further information on Federal Loans is available in chapter 3.

University Awarded Loans Proceeds from University awarded loans (e.g., Perkins, health professions, nursing, or institutional loans) are not distributed by check, but are applied directly to the student’s tuition account. Undergraduates must be registered for at least twelve credits, and graduates for the number of credits specified on the loan application, to be eligible to receive credit from these loan proceeds.

Credit Balances Credit balances resulting from a scholarship, fellowship, or University awarded loan are refunded by U.S. mail to arrive on or about October 1 in the fall and February 1 in the spring, unless direct deposit is in effect. Credit balances resulting from the installment payment plan are refunded in mid-November for the fall semester and mid-April for the spring semester.

Credit balances resulting from overpayment may first be used to offset any other past due amounts owed the University. Credit balances of less than $5 are not refunded unless requested.

The University offers direct deposit of credit balance refunds to students’ bank accounts. Sign-up forms can be obtained from the payroll office or from the online UVa Forms Directory at http://uvaforms.virginia.edu. Direct deposit of credit balances is optional. If not chosen, checks are issued; however, creation of checks is a slower process than direct deposit.

Permanent and Local Addresses Student Financial Services uses the permanent and local addresses that are recorded in ISIS. It is the student’s responsibility to maintain current addresses with the university registrar. Failure to update addresses on a timely basis may result in misdirected refund checks and bills. Undergraduate students’ bills are mailed to the permanent address.

Special Billing Addresses Students may establish a billing address through Student Financial Services. Once established, this address overrides the permanent or local address for billing purposes. This address may be deleted each year prior to the mailing of fall bills in August.

Taxability of Scholarships and Fellowships The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax code permits the exclusion of scholarships or fellowships from income up to the amount used for the payment of course-related expenses (i.e., tuition, fees, books, supplies, and equipment). The IRS does not consider the cost of room and board to be course-related. Stipends or living allowances paid as part of a scholarship or fellowship are considered taxable income. The University is required to withhold taxes on such payments only to nonresident alien recipients not claiming treaty benefits. However, all recipients are required to report their scholarships and fellowships to the IRS by filing a yearly tax return and to pay the requisite taxes. These provisions apply to all scholarship and fellowship recipients of domestic source grants, regardless of whether the recipient is an undergraduate, graduate student, citizen, or nonresident alien. Students should retain receipts for tax deductible items. The University cannot provide tax counsel.

Auditing Courses Students currently enrolled for regular or non-topical research courses are not charged for audited courses. However, individuals not currently enrolled who wish to audit courses at the University must do so through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies and are subject to their rate schedule.

Senior Citizens In compliance with the Senior Citizens Higher Education Act, the University waives tuition and required fees for courses on a space-available basis. To be eligible, a person must be at least 60 years old, have been legally domiciled in Virginia at least one year before the semester begins, and must gain admission to the University.

To qualify as a full-time or part-time student for credit, the senior citizen’s taxable income (for federal income tax purposes) the year prior to enrollment must not have exceeded $10,000.

There is no income requirement if the senior citizen wants to audit a course offered for credit or to enroll in a non-credit course. No more than three courses per semester may be taken on this basis, but there is no limit to the number of semesters a senior citizen may be enrolled. Instructors have the option of determining whether students may or may not take their courses on an audit basis. Those who have completed 75 percent of their degree requirements may enroll for courses at the same time as tuition-paying students, rather than waiting until final registration is completed.

Veterans’ Benefits The Office of the University Registrar is the University liaison with the Veterans Administration in matters concerning educational benefits available to veterans under the provisions of Chapters 30, 31, 32, 34, 35 and 1606. (War Orphans’ benefits are handled through the scholarships/fellowships office in Student Financial Services, P.O. Box 400204, Charlottesville VA, 22904-4204; (434) 982-6000.)

Benefit information and application forms can be found on the VA Website: www.gibill.va.gov. Inquiries regarding how to start VA benefits during enrollment at the University and certification procedures should be directed to: Office of the University Registrar, P.O. Box 400203, Charlottesville VA 22904-4203; (434) 924-4138; or e-mail certify@virginia.edu.

Estimated Personal Expenses


Students should prepare and keep within a budget in order to develop the ability to utilize their resources effectively while living within their means. Instruction in the handling of checks and checking accounts is recommended prior to enrollment.

While the amount of money spent in meeting personal expenses at the University depends largely upon the resources and tastes of the student, the estimates given in chapter 3 are a helpful guide in the preparation of a budget. These estimates do not include expenses for clothing, travel, memberships in organizations, or recreation and entertainment. A reasonable allowance should be made for these items.

The University requires that all students carry year-round hospitalization insurance. This cost should also be included in a student’s estimate of expenses.

Classification as an In-State Student


Eligibility for in-state educational privileges, including in-state tuition rates, is governed by Section 23-7.4 et. seq. of the Code of Virginia.

Applicants for admission apply for in-state status by completing the Application for Virginia In-State Educational Privileges, and returning it with the admission application.

Currently enrolled students apply for changes in residency status through the Committee on Virginia Status, University of Virginia, P.O. Box 400160, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4203. Applications must be received prior to the first day of class of the semester for which in-state privileges are sought.

Students classified as non-residents in current degree programs should contact the Committee on Virginia Status if they are considering applying for admission to other degree programs.


Undergraduate Record Home